inTank Media Baskets

3 gall picotope

Joseph14

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no prob, if everything goes as planned then i should have those pics up by tonight! im so excited! lol

what do you think i should stock it with i mean adding to the list that i put in a previous post. i want to add a shrimp but im not sure.

and for the 2.5 gall project, once its no longer in the planning phase, i would love to do a harlequin tank. and i could have the starfish in the refugium and then just transfer them.

Hmm... a shrimp would be cool... definitely get some ricordea to make your tank colorful... ummm lol other corals, whichever grab your fancy that doesnt grow TOO big or spreads too fast (aka GSP)... try zoos, softies, LPS...

Oh.. and not sure if someone has said it yet but definitely no crushed coral substrate!!!! It's a pain to clean and really doesnt look as nice IMO.

For the 2.5g i love your idea for the harlequin shrimp. Lol possibly even a mantis tank would be interesting :)

Hmm... what else... oh don't get fooled by the 1 or 2 lb./gal rule for LR... just get enough rock so that you like the aquascaping... (more rock is less volume) hehe and it'll save you some $$$...

Well thats all I can think of :)

Hehe keep us updated w/ pics

Jon

K cool..

Lol I just noticed you're from S. Texas.

What area you from? San Antonio? Laredo? Corpus?

I used to live an hour south of S.A. before I moved up to Dallas for college.

not really, theres about 2 petsmarts, a petland, and theyre opening up a petco in mission(45 min drive)

but there is one store that is mainly saltwater, its called E-aquatics. its single owned, the last time i went there was 2 years ago and all he had was fish, LR, water for sale, Inverts, Freshwater fish,and everything that a local store would have.

No problem, ill keep you guys posted,

im planing on posting more pics of it with water,LS, and LR tonight if i go to LFS, but we'll see... :lol:

In my room on top of a dresser, if i had it on my desk it would get alot of sunlight and would cause the temp to go higher than i need it to be.

Okay guys, had some bad luck with my LFS, apparently, he closed shop, havent seen him in about 2 years tho, so he might've moved. but anyways, i went over to my uncles and he gave me about 3.5 gall of established water from him that was runing in his 30 Gall Hex. :happy: and a peice of LR for now,

Ive decided to order some LR off of a website because i want the best quality LR that i can get.

I havent tested the water yet but i will in the morning. i should get my cheato tomorrow, so if there are any problems with nitrates, they should be gone by thursday or friday

I will be adding corals sometime next week. :D just going to wait till the parameters are perfect.

as for now im still waiting for the water to clear up, but here are some pics of what I have so far:

Im runing an AC30 with 2 sponges untill i get an AC50 turned into a refugium, and i am running the stock filter

with carbon to clear up the water...

Picture026.jpg

Heres a FTS with both lights on...

Picture024.jpg

10k and 6,700k bulb...

Picture027.jpg

and,

Atinic 420nm and 460nm...

Picture028.jpg

im going to get a cleanup crew soon, probably ordered with the liverock...

SaVeThEeELs
AHA! :D but ive come up with a method to prevent this!!! :D

i am simply going to use 2 of the glass panes that come with a standard 2.5 aquarium and make a cover for the tank. im hoping that it will fit perfectly on the top. i already have 1 pane on top in front of the tank

sounds like a trip to the hardware store to me.......or the dolla store to get a picture frame....to steal the glass..

a custom cut piece of (insert item here) would look cleaner.....

your gonna have crazy evaperation goin on...... i was loosing like 1/5 a gallon every 8 hours in one pico i had!

having a good fitting lid will help slow it down...at least let it drip back into the tank.....then there is top off....my tanks hate it when i just pour FW into it..... so i set up a hospital style drip line...

the glass pane that comes with a 2.5 gall to cover it fits perfectly on the top, but it does not cover the whole top of the tank. tank cleared up somewhat, i will post pics in a few min.

yea i know, im going to go and look for a 1square inch peice of glass, come home and place it on top and trace where to cut and take it to a hardware store for them to cut it.

well i tested the water,

Nitrate:75ppm

very high, am not sure as to why though, cheato should take care of it though right?

Nitrite:0

Alkalinity:240

pH:7.8-8

i am using the Mardel 5 in 1 test strips (for now)

and here is a pic of my picotope up for 11 hours...

Picture032.jpg

yea i know, but i had these lying around,

i need to buy test kits and a hydrometer, i broke mine a while back.

i should get my cheato today so the nitrates will go down and my pH should go up.

any questions?

okay things didn't go as planned today but im hoping on going to petsmart tomorrow to get a good test kit and a hydrometer. and im setting up a 2.5 quarantine tank for now.

Archived