Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The 40 Breeder's Tank Thread

sammy113

I've added some fish and a couple of corals, I'm where I want to be with the fish load but obviously need to start adding corals now

DSCN2643.jpg

Nifty aquascape, bare bottom?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is my before and latest , couldn't resist turning to a Buterfly Reef , although my coral selection is limited to what the Butterflys won't chow down on .

post-8365-1213552067_thumb.jpg

post-8365-1213552096_thumb.jpg

Awesome pics!... Love the tonga branch + butterflies

Thanks.......I've always been a big fan of Butterfly Fish , but with my reef tanks it was not possible . So when I started this tank it was fish only , but being addicted to coral i started adding pieces and if they attacked them to much I would put them in one of the other reef tanks . As it stands now they leave alone the monti caps , green ricordia only , along with green and blue mushrooms . Toadstools are out , red mushrooms are out , GSP is out , and all other colors of ricordia except green . It's wierd to see what corals they like to eat and which ones they could care less about .

Edited by Sea Slug
  • 1 month later...

Here's a bump for the thread and a pic I can finally add of mine cycling. Yayz

IMG_5436.jpg

Update on 8-26-08: Now with dual 150w MH, 14k Phoenix bulbs and fish, still awaiting coral

IMG_5913.jpg

Edited by nanoty
Nick's Reef

I'm thinking of setting up a 40breeder in the near future and am wondering if I could have a mainy sps tank and use 2 two bulb tek retos for lighting. Also, what would you guys recomend for bulb choices? I perfer quite blue lightng.

Edited by Nick's Reef
I'm thinking of setting up a 40breeder in the near future and am wondering if I could have a mainy sps tank and use 2 two bulb tek retos for lighting. Also, what would you guys recomend for bulb choices? I perfer quite blue lightng.

I am doing a 40br SPS dominated tank using HOT5. I am using a 6x 39w HOT5 fixture with an individually contoured reflector.

Here are the bulbs I am using:

Bulbs.jpg

Here is how it looks:

NewBulbsFTS.jpg

FTSGlenShot.jpg

You can find more pictures of this setup here

Edited by TJ_Burton
Nick's Reef

Wow, very nice tank tj and thanks for the help. I'm assuming that you're using the current nova extreme pro? Also I saw in your thread that you made your own sump, how difficult is it to get the baffles in and to the proper hight/placement? This may be in your thread, but are you running a fuge?

edit: I saw that you're just running a skimmer.

Edited by Nick's Reef