inTank Media Baskets

The 40 Breeder's Tank Thread

sammy113

suppressive fire

personally i dont like DE bulbs

"I will be running an aquaconnect 14k + 4xT5 HO on my 70g it should look something like this:"

175 watt?

since im going to have actinics should i run a lower kelvin or stick with the 15 k im just worried because of 15k being higher on the kelvin = lower par.

The aquaconnect 14k is a 250w SE HQI bulb, I believe ushio makes a 175w 14k bulb which is SE HQI I'm thinking of trying it in place of the iwasaki once my corals fill out the tank better.

If you run iwasakis I believe they do best on the ARO brand e-ballast from hellolights.

suppressive fire

why are you trying that bulb more color?

"I believe ushio makes a 175w 14k bulb which is SE HQI I'm thinking of trying it in place of the iwasaki once my corals fill out the tank better."

If you are going to run T5's for supplementation with a higher kevlin bulb and you are worried about par, check out the Blue+ bulbs.

The Grim Reefer at RC posted par numbers for most T5 bulbs. The regular atinics were like 120 and the blue plus was over 300!

Last night I switched from a 10K reeflux bulb to a Phoenix 14k. My tank is supplemented with 2x39 T5 (atinic and blue plus). I didn't go this route at first cause I thought it would be too blue. I absolutely LOVE it. The t5's don't make the tank more blue... the just make it brighter.

DSCN7086.jpg

Edited by bdare

Heres my tank with 5 x T5s you can see how blue it is next to the iwasaki + pc lit tank. I think it's too blue for my taste, but at the same time the iwasaki + pc's are too white for my taste. I want something in between both tanks!

DSCN2469.jpg

suppressive fire
Heres my tank with 5 x T5s you can see how blue it is next to the iwasaki + pc lit tank. I think it's too blue for my taste, but at the same time the iwasaki + pc's are too white for my taste. I want something in between both tanks!

DSCN2469.jpg

Yea i would like something in between also Man we have good taste lol. and i just found this great deal on a brand new ice cap 660 with 12 Vho waterproof endcaps and standoffs you think that will be good for my actinics? what electronic ballast did you use for ur 175 watt? Oh yea im getting the brand new icecap 660 with 12 t-12 icecap waterproofendcaps and standoffs for 125 shipped imo i think thats a sick deal don't you? :happy:

some people seem to swear by VHOs I'm sure you're good to go there

I'm using an ARO ballast from hellolights for the iwasaki - it gives the best performance for that particular bulb

• 3 weeks later...

DSCN2469.jpg

Just a matter of getting the right mixture / spectrum of bulbs , I agree to blue for my taste , but you can achive a ballance by trying different bulb combo's .

BabyboyTropics

I'm also looking into the 40Breeder range, but instead of doing all kinds of plumbing and such....I'm thinking of the Ecosystem filter with skimmer once again. I've had amazing results with my 40L, and the 29 I had that used to ecosystem method. A simple overflow and return for plumbing and then slowly work to upgrade the lighting. Any thoughts...or am I one of the few who've tasted the greatness of the ecosystem. ( Well, mostly the mud)

Although there system itself is highly overpriced in my opinion...a DIY ecosystem....might be my method of choice.

Edited by BabyboyTropics

hey supressive, where are you getting an ic660 for 125?!

im about to start a 40br, just waiting on a few things

that pvc overflow is SICK! deffinately gunna be doing that now

i was planning on doing a 40br with 30br sump but thats gunna change because of stand issues

so now its probably going to be 40br with 55 sump and im thinking i MIGHT do a dump bucket right next to it since ill have a 1' of stand space

lighting - current outer orbit 2x150w mh and 4x39w t5's, also changing out the ballast for the t5's to a ic660 and the mh bulbs to phoenix

return pump - velocity t3, but that may change to something with lower wattage and maybe internal

skimmer - etss reef devil

closed loop pump - velocity t4, but that may also change

chiller - current tower 1/3hp but looking for a smaller quieter one

controller - ac3, need something with internet controlability

ato - tunze osmolator

livestock will be a golden dwarf moray, bonnet clown pair, 1 onyx and 1 picasso clown pair (1 of each not a pair of each), helfrich firefish and a dracula goby pair with shrimp

also an orange carpet nem, assorted softies, lps and LOTS of sps

so yes im planning on having a KICKASS tank

i have most of the livestock right now but need to get this freakin tank setup!

Edited by FateX9

yup, either 4xt5 or 2xpc

http://www.current-usa.com/outerorbithqit5ho.html

main reason im going with current is they look nicer then most fixtures

i was thinking about going all t5's but the tek fixtures look just ugly and then i thought about giessman but i cant get giessman wholesale so all i had left was current

my lighting schedule will probably be 10 hrs t5, 4 hrs mh and then the leds when all other lights are off

• 2 weeks later...