HeyLookItsCaps

First Saltwater Setup! UPDATED 1-17!

Krayon

awsome tank 8), love the pics, hey i gotta question for you, does/has your cleaner harrass any of your smaller fish?

Edited by Krayon

HeyLookItsCaps

not at all....the wrasse loves him, the goby doesnt even notice him, the clowns run away from him but he doesnt chase em or bother him, he seems to mind his own business.....one of my favorite characters in the tank

gimme09

Caps...

Very nice tank! Im over here on Brookhurst and Garden Grove Blvd. Maybe we can trade frags some day. Im new to the reef tank but Ive always been keeping an eye on your thread. Keep up the good work.

Forgive me if you were already aware of this. It is one of my pet causes because so many lfs's and so many books and websites treat all gastropods as similar members of the CUC, when they are not. Those who buy Nassarius to clean up algae are making no progress against their algae and starving their snails. I shudder when I hear that someone has added 10 Nassarius to a new tank as part of the CUC. If that tank isn't being fed, the snails will die. But at least, the dead ones will feed the survivors, while they last...

Wow, I have been under the wrong impression regarding the Nassarius snails. I am one of those that have added 10 nass. snails in my tank. Should I just take them back or leave it be?

HeyLookItsCaps

hey gimme09,

let me know when you go out to an LFS and ill meet up with you, i had a more experienced reefer take me under his wing and he saved me so much headache. id love to help ya get going, and i know where all the good LFS are around here, and i have some inside deals with 1. im off of warner and bolsa chica. names chris :D

euphoricgear

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6u5OH0Mxs4&rel=1"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6u5OH0Mxs4&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6u5OH0Mxs4&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>thats a fighting conch i thinkhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6u5OH0Mxs4

HeyLookItsCaps

what the hell is that?!

c est ma

Caps, great new shots! Your clowns are such beautiful contrasts to that gorgeous purple of your tank. Everything's looking great!

Caps...

Very nice tank! Im over here on Brookhurst and Garden Grove Blvd. Maybe we can trade frags some day. Im new to the reef tank but Ive always been keeping an eye on your thread. Keep up the good work.

Wow, I have been under the wrong impression regarding the Nassarius snails. I am one of those that have added 10 nass. snails in my tank. Should I just take them back or leave it be?

To avoid starvation, you'll have to either take some back or feed them regularly. Don't feel bad--Nassarius are routinely regarded as just another grazer, by reefers and lfs personnel alike. It's SO hard to get the word out! They're wonderful snails for what they do, but just physically incapable of grazing algae, etc. I find that one in my 5g is plenty.

Meanwhile, you might want to get some grazers if you want something to attack the diatom films, algae sporules, etc. in your tank. (Trochus, Turbo, Astraea, ceriths, nerites...)

what the hell is that?!

I think he's suggesting your nassie might be a fighting conch. Very cool vid, euphoric gear! I've never seen a conch first hand and so never observed such cool behavior. Caps's snail's shell doesn't look too conch-ish to me, however.

--Diane

gimme09
hey gimme09,

let me know when you go out to an LFS and ill meet up with you, i had a more experienced reefer take me under his wing and he saved me so much headache. id love to help ya get going, and i know where all the good LFS are around here, and i have some inside deals with 1. im off of warner and bolsa chica. names chris :D

Deal. Im Eric and the wifey is Gimme. We both reply on the forums but mainly me. I normally go to Pacific Reef in FV. Been to Tongs a few times and I was seeing that you were going to OC Aquatic in HB. (Never been there.) The only other place I know that I like is Strictlyfish in Lakewood. (Very cool place)

To avoid starvation, you'll have to either take some back or feed them regularly. Don't feel bad--Nassarius are routinely regarded as just another grazer, by reefers and lfs personnel alike. It's SO hard to get the word out! They're wonderful snails for what they do, but just physically incapable of grazing algae, etc. I find that one in my 5g is plenty.

Meanwhile, you might want to get some grazers if you want something to attack the diatom films, algae sporules, etc. in your tank. (Trochus, Turbo, Astraea, ceriths, nerites...)

I think he's suggesting your nassie might be a fighting conch. Very cool vid, euphoric gear! I've never seen a conch first hand and so never observed such cool behavior. Caps's snail's shell doesn't look too conch-ish to me, however.

--Diane

Thank you Diane. Currently I have 1 turbo, 2 Astrea, 8 hermits (5 cortez and 3 scarlet)and 2 Ceriths with of course 10 nassarius. I think Ill stock up on more astreas and ceriths. Anything else I should need?

CAPS... let me know if you have time on Sunday or Saturday night (got to go to Traffic school :blush: ) and I can meet up with you at the LFS... since I just learned I need to purchase more grazers. :o

Edited by gimme09

HeyLookItsCaps

Pacific Reef is my home store. i worked there for a lil while. Brian (the owner) is a friend of mine. lemme know when your going and ill get some water :)

gimme09
Pacific Reef is my home store. i worked there for a lil while. Brian (the owner) is a friend of mine. lemme know when your going and ill get some water :)

Used to work there? or still work there a little bit? If you still worked there then you might of helped me all ready... LOL I think Ive asked all the Brian and everyone there for advice.. :D I probably will go there Sunday sometime to get the rest of my cleanup crew.

Here is a question for you, what does your cleanup crew consist of?

HeyLookItsCaps

my tank is rounding up to 8 months now, so its gotten a little more sophisticated -urchin-

and no i used to work there but had to quit due to car trouble :/

im in there evry 3-4 days tho lol

i would get 4-5 sand snails "nasarrius" 6-10 "cerith" snails, and a dozen or so hermits. thats about what i have. i dont know if that follows along the lines what everyone else does or not, but it works for me. i know theres a theory of like 1 CUC member per 2 gallons or something....ill have to look it up on here

glennr1978

tank's looking good.

supreme_spork

the only thing i have to say is balls, vagina, butt.

that's all. B)

c est ma
Thank you Diane. Currently I have 1 turbo, 2 Astrea, 8 hermits (5 cortez and 3 scarlet)and 2 Ceriths with of course 10 nassarius. I think Ill stock up on more astreas and ceriths. Anything else I should need?

Well, IMO, you should buy according to your own particular tank's needs, and what does well for you. After 3.5 years I finally found some Trochus, and they immediately became my favorite grazers of all time. I like ceriths but for some reason they don't do really well for me--maybe because of my crushed coral. I'd suggest getting just one or two of whatever's available that appeals to you, observing them for several days in your tank, and if they go to town or interest you, get more. Build up your numbers as your tank requires them...the #/gal formulas are really pretty meaningless. Notice which ones spend a lot of time on your glass sides, which ones clean the sandbed, etc., and get more of whichever kind addresses your biggest problem. Snails are exquisitely adapted little grazing machines and time spent studying them can be as rewarding as studying anything else in your tank.:)

BTW, I suspect a lot of hermits get a bad rap for killing Nassarius when what actually happens is the nassies were already dead or dying of starvation...so if you see hermits in their shells, don't immediately assume the worst. One real plus of nassies is that THEY are excellent at letting you know if an inert snail is actually dead. As soon as it is you will find a nassie avidly cleaning out its shell!

I like all the snails you mention but find turbos & Trochus to be the fastest, most voracious eaters. If you want quick work, you might seek out them in particular. Don't overlook nerites if you find them, either. :)

Sorry for the hijack, Caps!

--Diane

HeyLookItsCaps

any time sweetheart :)

Rehype
Well, IMO, you should buy according to your own particular tank's needs, and what does well for you. After 3.5 years I finally found some Trochus, and they immediately became my favorite grazers of all time. I like ceriths but for some reason they don't do really well for me--maybe because of my crushed coral. I'd suggest getting just one or two of whatever's available that appeals to you, observing them for several days in your tank, and if they go to town or interest you, get more. Build up your numbers as your tank requires them...the #/gal formulas are really pretty meaningless. Notice which ones spend a lot of time on your glass sides, which ones clean the sandbed, etc., and get more of whichever kind addresses your biggest problem. Snails are exquisitely adapted little grazing machines and time spent studying them can be as rewarding as studying anything else in your tank.:)

BTW, I suspect a lot of hermits get a bad rap for killing Nassarius when what actually happens is the nassies were already dead or dying of starvation...so if you see hermits in their shells, don't immediately assume the worst. One real plus of nassies is that THEY are excellent at letting you know if an inert snail is actually dead. As soon as it is you will find a nassie avidly cleaning out its shell!

I like all the snails you mention but find turbos & Trochus to be the fastest, most voracious eaters. If you want quick work, you might seek out them in particular. Don't overlook nerites if you find them, either. :)

Sorry for the hijack, Caps!

--Diane

+1

HeyLookItsCaps

sorry for bandwidth problems. itll reset tomorrow

antiha8erz

Yeah.. first of all nice tank man, you did a good job.

Yet after all the diaster of the tank, you still got the balls to follow through.

Ending up with a nice tank. Inspirational!!! B)

divecj5

Any news on the tank front man? Saw that giant worm you have...good Lord.

Just checking in and digging this thread up.