SaltCritters.com

First Saltwater Setup! UPDATED 1-17!

HeyLookItsCaps

Tank is looking great Caps! It's amazing you managed to save so much...good for you. Goes to show a little diligence can go a long way. Shows how much you care. Keep up the good work.

By the way liked your screen name story!

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HeyLookItsCaps

thank god it came back is right! and haha ya my story actually has some meaning! ill keep you guys updated. im about to have a mantis tank too O.o

By the way liked your screen name story!

Ditto. Might come in second to Pickle's.

thank god it came back is right! and haha ya my story actually has some meaning! ill keep you guys updated. im about to have a mantis tank too O.o

Sweet! Looking forward to that thread!

Hey, multiplying dusters are happy dusters. You must have lots for filter feeders to eat in there.

Well, I decided to try to do a little research on the coralline question. Most of what I found had to do with reefs in the wild, but I still found it fascinating. So I offer these links:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg12617144.400.html

http://darter.ocps.net/classroom/klenk/ms/Algae.htm

(Scroll down to "The Importance of Coralline Algae")

http://www.algone.com/coralline_algae.php

As far as I'm concerned, it's simply beautiful.

--Diane

Sorry to hear about your tank man. Seems like you've had alot of bumps in the road with it. I guess it's better to get all the crap out of the way early huh..

HeyLookItsCaps
Ditto. Might come in second to Pickle's.

Sweet! Looking forward to that thread!

Hey, multiplying dusters are happy dusters. You must have lots for filter feeders to eat in there.

Well, I decided to try to do a little research on the coralline question. Most of what I found had to do with reefs in the wild, but I still found it fascinating. So I offer these links:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg12617144.400.html

http://darter.ocps.net/classroom/klenk/ms/Algae.htm

(Scroll down to "The Importance of Coralline Algae")

http://www.algone.com/coralline_algae.php

As far as I'm concerned, it's simply beautiful.

--Diane

wow great info diane. i had no idea it was so beneficial, i just thought it was pretty haha

• 2 weeks later...

any way you could post pics of your led light, I am specifically interested in the condition of the connectors and any residue that was left on the light. do you have any idea how long it was on in your tank?

thanks,

HeyLookItsCaps

it was a typical round plug in for my LED moonlights, ive been following your thread as well. there was definately oxidation and a white crust around it. looked like it was dunked in powder almost. that simple 12 volt lamp destroyed my tank, but heavy water changes, carbon, and pulling out dead things saved it and it came around. keep working on yours and it will too.

did you still wnat pics? i still use it *glued in* but i can yank it out for you

definitely the same problem.... electrocution is the culprit my dear watson

I doubt that it was electricution... I am thinking it is the missing nickel and chrome plating.. NSW has only a few ppb (parts per billion), a few /1,000,000,000. there is enough matirial missing to increase the concentration in a 100 gal tank several magnatude 1 gram in 100 gal ~400l would roughly be 2.5 ppm

• 5 weeks later...
HeyLookItsCaps

some updates. lots of growth. i few new pieces....and were off

firstly, we got my HUGE cerith snail doing som freaky thing with his trunk, i couldnt get the camera fast enough so thats only about 2/3 extended

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

FTS!

IMG_0110.jpg

blastos!

IMG_0093.jpg

gorgeous fairly new clam i have

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

new purple and yellow feather duster i picked up

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

only $15 for this whole colony of zoas

IMG_0101.jpg

cleaner shrimp

IMG_0108.jpg

tried to get a good shot of the new fish.... so fun to watch

IMG_0115.jpg

my clown finally hosted!

IMG_0116.jpg

this started off as my first "fragging experience". originally 2 polyps of paly that i totally ruined and glued to a rock and hoped theyd grow. seems that they did!

IMG_0117.jpg

top down shot

IMG_0118.jpg

and finally a shameless plug for my other money pit. my 88 honda civic. just came out of paint, motor went in, and i should be turning the key by new years!

l_22de63d2ee198f200d9c510fae581c32.jpg

l_6a8407e29074ac5538cd06cefc427288.jpg

HeyLookItsCaps

Canon s80, only a P&S albeit higher end..... dont tell my dad but i know hes getting a rebel XTi for christmas *rubs hands together* then the pic quality should go ^^^^^

^^^Whaddaya mean? How could they get any better? SWEET pics!

some updates. lots of growth. i few new pieces....and were off

firstly, we got my HUGE cerith snail doing som freaky thing with his trunk, i couldnt get the camera fast enough so thats only about 2/3 extended

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

Did you mean Nassarius? Mine does that a lot when foraging...

FTS!

IMG_0110.jpg

Oh, man, that looks so sweet!

blastos!

IMG_0093.jpg

gorgeous fairly new clam i have

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

new purple and yellow feather duster i picked up

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

only $15 for this whole colony of zoas

IMG_0101.jpg

cleaner shrimp

IMG_0108.jpg

All very nice. I love the composition in that shrimp pic.

tried to get a good shot of the new fish.... so fun to watch

IMG_0115.jpg

I give up. What kind? :)

my clown finally hosted!

IMG_0116.jpg

Super shot!!

this started off as my first "fragging experience". originally 2 polyps of paly that i totally ruined and glued to a rock and hoped theyd grow. seems that they did!

IMG_0117.jpg

top down shot

IMG_0118.jpg

and finally a shameless plug for my other money pit. my 88 honda civic. just came out of paint, motor went in, and i should be turning the key by new years!

l_22de63d2ee198f200d9c510fae581c32.jpg

l_6a8407e29074ac5538cd06cefc427288.jpg

Those zoas look so nice from the top...And that last pic of your car looks like an auto ad!

Very nice. Congrats on everything!

--Diane

HeyLookItsCaps

is it a nassarius? this guy is golf ball sized. i thought nassarius were the small guys and cerith were big, but upon investigation cerith is wrong. do nassarius snails get golf ball sized? thanks for giving me love diane. you always know how to brighten my day :) im gonna have to ask my LFS guy what kind of fish it is.....it has a blu head with white body and yellow fins. ill find out tomorrow

As Nassarius and Cerithium are both genera, I imagine there are any number of species in each, which could easily have wide size variation. And yes, I've seen some pretty large Nassarius.

There are more important distinctions to note, however. Most of our CUC gastropod members come from the Trochidae or the Turbinidae--Trochus, Turbo, Astraea, etc. Nerites are from another family, as are ceriths, but all these species are similar in that they are basically grazers, mostly of algal films, such as diatoms, with the exception maybe of some of the larger individuals which might eat some macro algae.

Nassarius, OTOH, come from a different order (or suborder or infraorder or whatever we're calling it now) which includes mostly predatory members--such as the whelks, volutes, augers, and cone snails. The Nassarius are the exception in that they are scavengers...they are not grazers, though, and will easily starve in tanks that are not fed or do not have dead animals for them to eat. Note that none of the grazers have that long proboscis that Nassarius do.

From one web source:

(order Neogastropoda)

Despite their large number of species and diversity of habitats, the neogastropods show more anatomical uniformity (efficient mantle cavity, inhalant siphon with chemoreceptive osphradium, extensible proboscis, stenoglossan radula, and simple carnivore gut) than is found in any of the other major orders of gastropods. ( http://www.answers.com/topic/neogastropoda?cat=technology )

Forgive me if you were already aware of this. It is one of my pet causes because so many lfs's and so many books and websites treat all gastropods as similar members of the CUC, when they are not. Those who buy Nassarius to clean up algae are making no progress against their algae and starving their snails. I shudder when I hear that someone has added 10 Nassarius to a new tank as part of the CUC. If that tank isn't being fed, the snails will die. But at least, the dead ones will feed the survivors, while they last...

I have only one Nassarius in my tank and I love it. It is my biggest snail and grows ever bigger. I rely on it to tell me if something is really deceased or not. Sometimes an inert grazing snail is just chillin', but if the Nassarius erupts out of the substrate and goes after it, I know it's dead! :) I'm not sure my tiny tank would support more than one of these cool snails.

--Diane

HeyLookItsCaps

its definately a nassarius of some sorts....it ate a dead clam when my tank had the mini crash. and it has no problem sticking his....appendage....on my hand and trying to eat me. hes my favorite to watch tho, he comes breaching out of the sand like a submarine. by the pics you can see how huge he is, almost golf ball sized, and his trunk thing turns out to be over twice his shell length. i think the LFS had the big ones labeled as cerith and small as nassarius

thats a nice civic youve got there. what are the specs on it? heres a pic of my new civ i got back in april. i still havent had the time/money to invest in it yet. im still waiting to get a little ways through my warranty before i start to heavily mod it.

DSC00732.jpg

its definately a nassarius of some sorts....it ate a dead clam when my tank had the mini crash. and it has no problem sticking his....appendage....on my hand and trying to eat me. hes my favorite to watch tho, he comes breaching out of the sand like a submarine. by the pics you can see how huge he is, almost golf ball sized, and his trunk thing turns out to be over twice his shell length. i think the LFS had the big ones labeled as cerith and small as nassarius

Way cool snail! I, too, love the way Nassarius erupt from the substrate. :D

Man, I hate to see major errors like that at lfs's! :angry:

--Diane

• 4 weeks later...

Archived