Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

First Saltwater Setup! UPDATED 1-17!

HeyLookItsCaps

HeyLookItsCaps

well guys, after getting 15 or so more lbs of live rock and sand, and some cool little fellas....

my aquascape has completely changes, it is now a trench style tank and i plan on taking pics tomorrow night :) just a heads up!

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking forward to seeing the new scaping Caps....always exciting after you rescape the tank.

What other "fellas" did you get for the tank?

HeyLookItsCaps

the rock i bought, came with about 5 more hermits, a NICE emerald crab with hairy legs whos awesome, zoas popped out of the rock, xenia came out, 2 HUGE Cerith* Snails (the ones that have the long funnel and are under the sand) and a bunch oh snails ranging in species and size, 1 almost the size of a golfball! i now have almost 40 lbs of LR compared to my previous 27. so it looks alot fuller and like i said, i went with a trench setup. i really like the way it turned out!

HeyLookItsCaps

oh and i also got what i *think* is 3 head of micromussa, but i have no idea, ill have to have you guys ID em tonight

HeyLookItsCaps

im at work till 7! noooooooooooo haha

t minus 8 hours.

oh man! i almost forgot tot ell you guys about the adult hand sized rock covered in GSP!

so beautiful waving in the current.

from what i hear im gonna have to mow that lawn down every now again if i dont want a GSP only tank

HeyLookItsCaps

:( go and ruin my day....thanks.

my GSP is BRIGHT green too. so it glows at night.

i also have what i think is aiptasia, ill post a pic tonight. aiptasia = bad for my zoas :(

Yeah, I would just try and grab some Joe's Juice or something like that to take care of the aiptasia. I had about a dozen on some live rock that I got from a guys take and the Joe's Juice took care of it in one fell swoop. It was effective for me at least...I know some people haven't had all that great success.

HeyLookItsCaps

FTS

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

angled to see the trench

IMG_0061.jpg

GSP

IMG_0059.jpg

xenia

IMG_0057.jpg

frogspawn keeps growing!

IMG_0058.jpg

brain of some sort?

IMG_0063-1.jpg

zoas

IMG_0066.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

huge snail i found

IMG_0002-2.jpg

barely snapped a shot of my new crab i found

IMG_0003-4.jpg

Wow, you are moving right along! Super pics and super specimens!

How many of those were hitch hikers again?! You are so lucky.

I really like the aquascaping and the trench--very interesting to look at.

Those "brainy" polyps look like some sort of blasto or mussid...but I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in. All I have is a nice B. merletti, and it doesn't look quite like yours. But close! Whatever, that's a very cool find!

Search for Aiptasia in all forums, and read the recent posts. There have been quite a few threads about it lately, with many people posting their different methods of eradication. There is something newer than Joe's Juice that some like even more--they say it has a consistency that makes it easier to use. But I saw your pic in the ID forum, and something that size should be easier to zap than the really tiny ones.

Your tank is looking great!

--Diane

Looking good. Maybe a little bit more LR? I like a fuller looking tank but perhaps you are just giving your coral room to grow in.

HeyLookItsCaps

thanks guys! im so excited about the new look, and everything seems to be happier. i bought all the rock from a really nice fellow who was leaving the hobby cuz of a move, selling a 10 gallon tank full of LR for 10 bucks....for tank and everything, so hookedonreef-er took the tank and i took its contents. he mentioned some xenia, maybe a crab, some snails, and mabe a hermit.

6 hermits

5 snails

emerald crab

watermelon zoas coming out of the rock

candy apple green zoas coming out

3 patches of xenia

a kenya tree (hookedonreef-er took that guy)

and a few sea stars

id say a pretty good deal for half of 10 bucks

HeyLookItsCaps

no, theyre little white ones, 1 has six legs, 1 has 4, and 1 has 3. i think they may be bad tho?

also my best friend brought me a watchman goby and pistol shrimp, wow are they interesting! my new favorite think to watch. also it turns out pistol shrimps work their buts off to make a house and the goby is just lazy. lol

Just catching up with your thread after the weekend. The new scaping looks awesome....I'm sure the fish love having the swimming room in the middle. Congrats on the new corals....they all look great.

Sounds like you have a great pistol/goby pair....they have such an amazing symbiotic relationship. I'm sure it's awesome to see.

Look forward to seeing more pics...

Archived