Coral Vue Hydros

First Saltwater Setup! UPDATED 1-17!

HeyLookItsCaps

i could probably force them tot ake it back, should i?

I'd still be polite and make sure you are talking to the owner. I wouldn't burn a bridge. In the mean time see if any of the local guys have room to take your fish as a plan B.

The thing about taking things in for store credit is that you'll get a fraction of the cost it would take you to buy the stuff back. But that's more then you have if the live stock dies durring your cycle.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HeyLookItsCaps

i did do my research but unfortunately I listened to the LFS and my friend with a 14g BioCube....

and now im screwed.

so 100% take them back.

no chance of survival for the livestock?

i guess ill have to take em back tonight.... :(

HeyLookItsCaps

so the owner of the LFS calle dme and said if anything else dies he will replace it all.... so thats good.

he also said if it gets any worse to bring it all back and hell replace it later.

peace of mind...ahhhh

HeyLookItsCaps

sorry, im a total internet troll/geek. I hope you all arent tire dof me already :happy:

anyway, maybe this is good news, i got home from work just now and found the bottom of my tank covered in this....

IMG_0006-1.jpg

IMG_0003-1.jpg

is that a good sign?

HeyLookItsCaps

!!!! now what? lol.... i guess i should make a trip to barnes and noble, i havent found a complete "im a total noob" guide online yet

wow to fast!

I thought you said you did your research?

Cut the guy a break... he thought he was getting good information from his LFS - when you are new you don't know any better. He's here now and looking for information and is actually listening to the suggestions people are giving him. Bring something productive to the table but don't beat him up for seeking help.

thanks joel.... when can i test my hydrometer pickle?

When ever you're ready bro.. I'll be home tomorrow after 5 or so... PM me for directions...

Hey...

I just thought that you might want to search BC 29 mods... there are a couple of simple things you can do to your set up to help things a bit.

Most people ditch the bioballs in the back and replace them with LR Rubble and widen the opening between chamber one and two to get better flow through the rubble in the back.

Some add the LR rubble to chamber one and make chamber 2 into a fuge.

A lot of people also gut the stock filter and use filter floss in it. (filter floss can be changed for just pennies)

These are just a few ideas there are plenty more that people do - upgrading pumps - adding power heads

You might also want to keep your questions in one thread - that way people can see your history - tank specs and all and help answer your questions better the first time

HeyLookItsCaps

but how do i mod my tank if im already pumping water thru and cycling?

did you mod your bc29?

but how do i mod my tank if im already pumping water thru and cycling?

did you mod your bc29?

Yes... you can still do most of the mods.. I'll show you what I did when you come by.

Just wanted to say that your picture taking skills are already quite good! Nice rock, super feather dusters, and the good news is that, by taking the fish & coral back, you'll be able to pay more attention to the less flashy but totally fascinating stuff that will continue to appear on your rock. I agree with dsoz that the little hermits should be fine during your cycle, so you can watch them, too. And just reading here and there throughout the nano-reef forums should keep you entertained for hours...

--Diane

HeyLookItsCaps

thanks, im definately working on the photographic side of things and i totally appreciate the compliment!

i got my first bloom today so that made my day and im less stressed.... ill keep you all updated with pics for sure! and hopefully meet someone who is a gnarly photographic and show me the ropes!

Hey man...I was reading through your thread yesterday and glad to see that you are headed in the right track. Don't get down about having the LFS talk you into getting things right away....it can happen to anyone and it DOES happen a lot. Just kind of ridiculous that they told you that it is normal for things to die in the initial cycle.

Glad to see that you are getting to know Pickle....his tank is awesome and I'm jealous I don't live closer :)

Now that you have your initial diatom bloom, you are well on your way to your tank cycling. I'm sure Pickle will give you all the help you need, but next will come the green algae so you will just need to be patient with that as it will pass like the brown algae.

If you have any questions about modding or anything else BC 29 related, I have had mine going for about 2 months now so just ask or check out my thread and others on here.

Make sure to take some time and enjoy your tank. Lots of times this hobby can be stressful but I always remind myself that it's a hobby and should be enjoyable :)

Adam

what I tell everyone new to the hobby; read,read,read , research,research,research before you even buy the aquarium. Dont feel bad its a hard lessoned learned; right? Good luck with the BC 29

HeyLookItsCaps

for the record, pickles tank is GNARLY, most coral ive ever seen in a BC29...cant wait for mine to look half as good

for the record, pickles tank is GNARLY, most coral ive ever seen in a BC29...cant wait for mine to look half as good

Thanks man... was good to meet you.

HeyLookItsCaps

what have you heard about the Rio? my buddy gave me his for 5 bucks. its a Rio 90. and from what ive heard is GPH should be 3 times the size of the tank or so.....any truth to that?

Archived