Innovative Marine Aquariums

5.5g Mantis tank couldn't stay away

hecsrt-4

Setting up a 5.5 Gallon Baby Peacock Mantis tank. Couldn't stay away from mantis too long, they just fascinate me. My friend calls me up you want a 1" peacock mantis, I couldnt pass it up and it was free. Have some pictures of the mantis not the clearest pics but he doesnt want to stand still. Will post pics of the tank Soon as soon as the sand clears up. More details coming as soon as the tank progresses.

What should I call him, any name come to mind Matty :D

103_0377.jpg

In QT tank

101_0278.jpg

101_0277.jpg

Everybody tells me its a peacock, and just not too sure yet but its so small its less than an inch big so hopefully it will color up. Am trying to get a good picture of him to Id him. His colors are blue, yellow, red.

Here is a picture of my old female peacock mantis

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...st&id=22603

Gotta a close up?

I was under the impression that Peacocks needed lots of wandering room like a 20L or something

They do need space to roam, but I think a 20L will be overkill for him right now. As he is a small mantis, he is less than 1" big I found a ghost shrimp bigger than him. Boy was that a fight the ghost shrimp didn't see what was coming LOL.

They are very interesting animals, especially if you get 1 of the bigger species. My old mantis used to eat all sorts of crabs. I think her favorite were emerald crabs, she used to even eat damsels from time to time she was evil haha. There is a lot of people here with mantis and they all love them.

Come on you know you want to join the Mantis Cult.

Just talk to the CEO Mattyice haha

They are very interesting animals, especially if you get 1 of the bigger species. My old mantis used to eat all sorts of crabs. I think her favorite were emerald crabs, she used to even eat damsels from time to time she was evil haha. There is a lot of people here with mantis and they all love them.

Come on you know you want to join the Mantis Cult.

Just talk to the CEO Mattyice haha

I currently have a G. Smithii that is tiny he has to work like a mad man to beat up a tiny pencil eraser sized nerite..

He is at home

Welcome to the underground mantis cult of NR. If he is that little try feeding him ghost, just make sure to feed the ghost shrimp an hour before feeding it to the mantis. I usually feed the ghost shrimp cyclopeeze or some formula 1

I could be wrong, but he doesn't look anything like a peacock mantis to me... Have you posted pics on the RC mantis forum for Dr. Roy to check out? I thought peacocks always had the distinctive "leopard spots" regardless of size.

definitely not a peacock... Ill tentatively say N. wennerae, but a better pic would help.

the bright side is that if it is a N. wenn, you won't need to upgrade the tank :)

He just molted, and he looks like a G. Smithii, but I didn't get a hard look. He could be a N. Wenn. I need to dig him out of the tank and examine him.

Regardless I don't need to upgrade now.

I was never certain that he was a Peacock, all my peacocks have been bigger than 3"

That was just to grab peoples attention. Haha

Smithii requires a larger tank they like to wander as much as the Peacock.

Look for the purple circles on his smashers

The tank just finished cyclyng yay, the mantis is going to his new home now. I took LR from my gf 24g and LS from my 75g.

Don't know yet, am going to look around to see what I can find local. But I do want HO T5's. I want to have corals in the tank.

My Smithii is a very cool little dude.

They are pretty easy to spot because of the purple circle on the smashers

FTS of the mantis new home. Wanted to make it finished cycling before I put the mantis in. Dont mind the huge powerhead in the tank, will be getting a AC300 or build a fuge out of a spare 3g tank.

The tank is next to my couches so you can see it when you sit down. you can also see it from 3 sides.

Right Side

103_0453.jpg

Center

103_0454.jpg

Left Side Dont mind my GF playing xbox 360

103_0455.jpg

It depends on how big they are, but even the small ones hurt. But they are very intelligent animals, and have great personalities.

• 1 month later...

so? get posting the pics! at 3 inches it will be fine in your tank but will eventually outgrow your tank... fully grown it will need about 25gal with a reinforced bottom pane (or just an acrylic tank).

Archived