Coral Vue Hydros

Circusordie16's Custom 5 Gallon

circusordie16

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
circusordie16

mr zissou its a 24in nova retrofit. its been working very well but i think it should be even brighter when i get some better bulbs in the next couple months.

so today is the 2 year anniversary of my journey into reefing. technically i took my first tank down last summer but because i put everything right into this tank in the exact same arrangement then its like a 2 year anniversary for this tank. so i took some pictures. my acan echinata took out some anger on my newly split blue ric so i dunno if thats gonna make it, its just a slime ball right now. other than that i got some live rock from premium aquatics last week and added a big piece ot my tank and have the rest cycling in another tank. so corals have some permanent homes although i still gotta get rid of some of these frags ive been growing out before my tank will have a nice clean look. and i have to figure out how to get the sand to stay put in the front with the new koralia nano blowing around. so heres the pictures.

new micro. picture doesnt show the colors at all, its much more green and a lot brighter.

6-6-08001.jpg

acan frag looking nice and happy after a feeding

6-6-08002.jpg

took this yesterday of whats left of my ric after it got attacked. the acan that got it is in the foreground.

6-6-08004.jpg

the attacked ric today. notice the green ric on the sand that just split from its mother colony above it today while i was at work.

6-6-08008.jpg

right side of the tank

6-6-08006.jpg

left side of the tank showing the new rock

6-6-08007.jpg

full tank shot

6-6-08005.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
circusordie16

dunno if anybodys paying attention but i took some pictures today. filled the whole left side with rock so now im attaching corals to it and now the only eggcrate racks i have are hanging on theback of the tank. been dealing with monti eating nudis the past week but theyre only confined to one frag so ive been checking it a few times a day and removing all the nudis i see, hopefully that will eliminate them. and in good news, my blue ric that got assaulted is gonna make it, its starting to grow back tentacles. heres some pictures.

a few micro frags i made

6-20-08002.jpg

the mother of those frags and my purple encrusting monti

6-20-08003.jpg

a few of my sps, my superman is finally looking pretty good lately

6-20-08005.jpg

a couple zoas and some different micro frags i made

6-20-08008.jpg

top down of my chalice and an acan frag i made

6-20-08013.jpg

candy cane

6-20-08014.jpg

my newest micro

6-20-08015.jpg

superman and leng sy monti

6-20-08018.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
circusordie16

got new light bulbs for the tank. got an ati blue plus and an ati aquablue. i like the combo a lot, maybe a little bluer than before but it looks good and the colors still look natural instead of all actinic looking. and according to grims thread on rc i should be getting a fair amount more par so thats good. things are going well, i think i eliminated the monti eating nudis cuz i havent seen any for more than a week and ive been checking night and day multiple times. gonna have some stuff for sale soon so keep an eye out for that haha. heres some pictures:

acan

7-6-08001.jpg

orange ric in the cave it moved itself into

7-6-08002.jpg

my ric that got attacked by my acan but is now on the road to recovery. you can see what it used to look like above it.

7-6-08003.jpg

the offending acan

7-6-08004.jpg

pink yuma thats looking real good lately although this picture looks bad

7-6-08005.jpg

pink milli

7-6-08014.jpg

left side

7-6-08007.jpg

right side

7-6-08011.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
circusordie16

a little update, been busy lately but took some quick pictures. not too much going on, just letting stuff grow and trying to sell some frags. i really wanna sell a bunch of stuff so ill have a much cleaner look but its been slow going. so if you want something, let me know! my birdsnest has really been getting a lot more green lately, thats kind of exciting. and my blue ric that got reduced to slime by my acan is making a triumphant return.

my chalice thats growing its first new mouth, you can see the circular discolored area that will be the mouth.

8-6-08001.jpg

acan

8-6-08002.jpg

healthy blue ric and the recovering one

8-6-08003.jpg

red micro colony

8-6-08004.jpg

full tank shot, sorry about the towel and forceps in the foreground.

8-6-08005.jpg

i cant believe that this thread doesnt get more activity... i loose track of it (and forgot about it since last year)... when the weather cools alittle bit let me know if you want to sell any of those acan frags... i would love to buy a frag pack or something off you... your tank is looking great by the way

• 2 weeks later...
circusordie16

thanks matty, stuff has been growing pretty good so lemme know if youre interested in something in a month or two.

gotta move my tank back down to school tomorrow so itll be a little stressful but ill try and get some pictures one day soon.

• 1 month later...
circusordie16

little picture update. been busy with school but things are going alright in the tank. some corals have been bleaching, im assuming from the lights but its really messed up some of my micros, my candy cane, and even an acro. i think the micros are slowly recovering, i have them all shaded but well have to see about the rest. also, 2 of my acans are shedding tissue and i have no idea why. everything else is alright so im just kinda waiting right now. in better news my sps are looking great. go figure. heres a few pictures.

micros before they bleached

9-19-08001.jpg

acan echinata that changes colors constantly

9-19-08009.jpg

ric

9-19-08011.jpg

hermit crab

9-19-08012.jpg

gsp

9-19-08013.jpg

milli

9-19-08014.jpg

yuma and zoas

9-19-08015.jpg

your setup is killer! and your corals are to die for! I started reefin' in chicago, and their selection is amazing compared to "Columbia, Missouri..." ughh... where do you shop for coral if you don't mind me asking??

• 4 weeks later...

question how much did the glass cost all in all???

p.s you should update some new pics ;):haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:java script:add_smilie(%22;)%22,%22smid_5%22)

• 2 weeks later...
circusordie16

thanks everybody. ive been real busy lately so not too much new. some corals are still having a hard time for reasons i cant explain but i think everybodys calming down and some are making comebacks.

bjk2, i usually shop for coral at sea schor in buffalo grove. i used to go a few other places but a lot of places have closed so sea schor is about the only place i go now. mr zissou, the glass was $50 total although the top cost another $80 because apparently cutting a few notches in glass is expensive.

heres a couple more pictures that i took a bout a month ago but never posted.

pink milli that shows you can get good sps colors in a nano

10-2-08004.jpg

superman-ish monti

10-2-08008.jpg

few corals

10-2-08009.jpg

zoa rock

10-2-08011.jpg

gsp and chalice thats been sprouting a bunch of new mouths

10-2-08014.jpg

rock full of rics

10-2-08016.jpg

• 1 month later...
circusordie16

some new pictures. still having some problems with some of my corals but i have no idea why. the ones that arent dying are doing well though.

newest ric

12-20-08004.jpg

zoas

12-20-08010.jpg

right side of the tank

12-20-08006.jpg

acan echinata

12-20-08017.jpg

ric

12-20-08007.jpg

full tank shot

12-20-08013.jpg

• 2 months later...
circusordie16

a few new pictures. i think things are looking up now. my candy cane is coming back from the dead and my nicest micro is putting out some babies. so hopefully things are turned around now. knock on wood of course.

top down of my orange and blue ric

2-24-09006.jpg

top down of a zoa rock

2-24-09013.jpg

new birdsnest. the picture doesnt show the green high lights on the flesh.

2-24-09016.jpg

blueish ric

2-24-09024.jpg

acan echinata thats growing like crazy.

2-24-09027.jpg

left side

2-24-09037.jpg

middle

2-24-09036.jpg

right side

2-24-09038.jpg

full tank

2-24-09033.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
circusordie16

little update if anybodys looking. got some new corals, some japanese zoanthids that im pretty pleased with.

3-21-09001.jpg

3-21-09002.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
agetupkiddan

This is such a great tank!

Question for ya, how high off the waterline is your fixture? it looks like about 4 inches or so.

I have very similar dimensions (you def. inspired my build), and the same fixture (only i got the ready-fit).. and i had my lights very close, but have since moved them up a bit as i was seeing some negative affects on the corals, did you have to find a sweet spot with your light too?

circusordie16

thanks getupkid. the bottom of the canopy is about 3" above the tank and the light bulbs are maybe another half inch above. i have noticed that the lights can bleach things so i have to be careful sometimes. especially after i got new light bulbs. but my canopy isnt adjustable so im just kinda stuck with the height i have but its worked out well. i originally picked the height so that i had enough room to stick my hand in the tank without moving the lights. heres some new pictures of the zoas.

4-4-09007.jpg

single zoa polyp thats growing out for somebody. it has two little babies poking out after only 2 weeks.

4-4-09006.jpg

4-4-09005.jpg

• 1 month later...
circusordie16

just a couple pictures. moved the tank back home for the summer and decided my tank is weird. the right half is starting to look great and growing quickly and growing nice deep purple coralline and all the hair algae that used to be there is gone. (knock on wood) the left half is doing alright with some stuff growing well but a little algae problem and not much coralline. my birdsnest and milli are doing great but my encrusting monti has been having a hard time. its weird but what are you gonna do i guess. lately though things have been on the right track so im happy.

red chalice with a little zoa thats somehow surviving under there

5-20-09003.jpg

acan echinata thats growing quickly. picture makes it look more brown than it is.

5-20-09004.jpg

candy cane coming back from almost nothing

5-20-09005.jpg

k_davies35

WOWW! i must say that not many people have success with keeping that many corals in a tank that small. PROPS! I was looking at the tank and thought it needed something. Coraline algae covering everything!!! not sure how you could get it growing other than lots of water changes and calcium. this is just my opinion, and not trying to tell you what to do in your tank :D

• 2 weeks later...
circusordie16

thanks k_davies, ive been wanting coralline but it just hasnt grown well for me until recently. i took a whole bunch of pictures today after i got a couple nice new frags from er1c_reefer. other than that nothing exciting.

echinata under blue lighting

5-29-09001.jpg

zoa rock under blue lighting

5-29-09008.jpg

yuma under the same light

5-29-09011.jpg

my chalice

5-29-09005.jpg

5-29-09016.jpg

echinata again

5-29-09017.jpg

pink yuma thats impossible to get the true color of