Cultivated Reef

[6gNancube] Mixed Reef

JxMetal

Alright, this past weekend I finally bought a nanocube since I've run out of space in my 63 gallon. I didn't want anything big since it'll sit on my desk. There's nothing in it yet as I'm still waiting for some parts. Mainly the heater and the return pump.

My LFS has these for $60, so I took a dive. I got home and ripped the thing apart. Everything in the back is gone now, the pump is gone, the output duck nozzle thing is gone.

I've lightly super glued the MSS up in the corner since I think it's a piece of crap that kept falling while I did my water test. Replaced that duckbill thingy with my hydor. I shaved everything down so I can get the Hydor as close to the false wall as possible since it sticks out about 75 inches I think.

For the fuge I shaved off the vinyl over the 2nd chamber. I then proceeded to Home Depot to find something to act as housing for a 14w spiral 5500k bulb I found. I fund these 6260186.jpg in siding/gutter aisle. Part number 68-707, btw. Bought 2 of them and super glued them over-lapping and they fit perfectly. SO I super glued the new little contraption to the back of the tank over the area that I cut away. I still need to return there to buy another piece to cap off the top and bottom of the reflector.

All my liverock and sand are sitting in the other tanks sump so it'll all be good to go when I fill up the cube.

I'll be getting my 50w ebo-jager heater, Maxi-Jet 900, and 70w Viper any day now (probably tomorrow). Everything I bought was from thereefstop.com . I do basically all my shopping there since they always have the lowest prices on-line and he can get me anything I want.

I'll post pictures once I get my order and have everything set up.

alright. ditched the 900 for a 600. I was afraid of making a hole in the sand.

i'll put it all together this evening and take some pictures for everyones pleasure.

Ok, here's some pictures.

Everything (water, sand, half the rock came from my other tankt, so little to no cycle.

Full Tank

DSCF1267.jpg

Some hitchhikers w/o Flash

DSCF1266.jpg

Hitchhikers w/ flash

DSCF1265.jpg

I got a few corals zoos today. I'll post those new pics tomorrow. :D

ok, my camera skills truly suck so here we go.

Here's the zoos I picked up yesterday.

$12

DSCF1268.jpg

$3

DSCF1279.jpg

$3

DSCF1281.jpg

The colony in the middle was $15. Green with purple centers and purple skirts. About 150 polyps

DSCF1278.jpg

another FTS

DSCF1276.jpg

oh, I forgot to tell you that I also pulled out a couple rock crabs last night when I looked in the tank. Couldn't get them to come out of the rock so I dipped it in saturated kalk water and they scurried out real quick. :lol:

Needless to say they are gone now.

Yeah, that's what I'll be doing.

I just reaquascaped. :lol: damn snail knocked a rock over. SO I aquascaped and threw in a chunk of blasto's (20 heads or so)

Obsessed Reefer

Yea. I just checked JBJ Lighting and the width of the tank is ~12 inches, the smallest sunpod is 16inches, but you could probably adjust the legs so that it fits on, but the LEDs would hang over.

Alright, update.

Got my light in the mail yesterday.

Got some sexy shrimps and a featherduster.

DSCF1296.jpg

and another

DSCF1295.jpg

DSCF1290.jpg

Obsessed Reefer

Can you post some detailed pics of the viper? I've never seen one up close. Probably because my lfs swears they will never sell/use anything made by JBJ. Then I ask why they have A.T.O's for sale?

Where'd you get the sexies from? Website?

Tank is looking great! Do you have any heat problems with the Viper?

I got the sexies from my LFS. $20 a pop, not too bad. Prolly add a couple more. They're getting my pom pom crabs in this week i hope.

Heat problems.....nah. It tops the tank out at 84. At night it drops to 81. Not a big difference. i believe it's good to let the tank fluctuate. It's natural. If the tank was ALWAYS 80 and one day it got to 85 or 86, most things would die, because they're not used to a temp swing. If the creatures become acclimated to a temp swing then they're more likely to survive a temp spike.

My 63 gallon tank goes from 79 to 84. No problems there. Here's a few pics of it I took tonight.

DSCF1306.jpg

DSCF1303.jpg

DSCF1302.jpg

DSCF1300.jpg

DSCF1299.jpg

ok, some are with flash other's are without.

Looking for one last colony for the top right.

Archived