Pod Your Reef

maybe 3rd fish

ApocalypticSurf6

ApocalypticSurf6

ok so heres the deal, 10g, 24 lbs LR, 20lb LS and a pair of true percs about 1" in lenght. Tank is pretty well established and has an emperor 400 as my fuge, it has great water flow just packed to the brim with cheato. Good amount of coral just added a beautiful peice of sun polyps in the other day. I want one more fish but im being a little wary because I have had 3 fish in my tank before, some combinations my tank is perfect. some combinations I go over. That was also when I had half the filter on it an emperor 280 so I think I can do 3 saftly but I want to see what everyone else thinks first. Im stongly considering a royal gramma, I love them. I would get one around an inch so its physically smaller then the clowns. they have their territory already so the royal should be kept in line. I was thinking yellow clown goby but im keeping sps so I dont want to risk that. The reason I thinka royal is because while they do get to 3" they are slender so have smaller bio load then most other perch structured 3" fish.

yey or ney, and personal opinions are welcome

I think you would be ok, safer if you had a skimmer. If I was thinking about three fish for a ten gallon i would go with the percs and some type of small goby, like a green banded or neon. You could also do a barnacle blenny or a shrimp+goby pair.

ApocalypticSurf6

Im more worried about the overloading factor then the agression factor, I used to have a royal and he never bothered anyone, I just dont want green slime algae to take over my tank if I put a 3rd fish in, and I was thinking about a skimmer, they make that little nano one like 6x2 inches, if I do one I want one small so I dont skim every nutrient out of my tank. Im a bit on the edge on the skimmer battle

i dunno about the gramma but if you feel you can keep your tank in tact and clear, go for it.....otherwise a goby for sure!

chrisdamage

if your talking about the Fission Nano Skimmer... do yourself a huge favor(and a major frustrating headache) and forget about it, its a pint sized piece of poop... go with the Remora Nano... its almost $150 but it is invaluable in keeping your water quality great and removing excess nutrients... as far as a skimmer removing too many beneficial nutrients from your tank, this should be balanced out if you are doing weekly water changes of about 30 to 40%... this is your corals main source of nutrients and you should be doing this weekly anyways...

FLcracker94

If you got a canopy, go for a firefish, wont get picked on by the clowns, and its very peaceful. They are very good looking too. 10g minimum, dont grow fast.

BustytheSnowMaam
ok so heres the deal, 10g, 24 lbs LR, 20lb LS and a pair of true percs about 1" in lenght. Tank is pretty well established and has an emperor 400 as my fuge, it has great water flow just packed to the brim with cheato. Good amount of coral just added a beautiful peice of sun polyps in the other day. I want one more fish but im being a little wary because I have had 3 fish in my tank before, some combinations my tank is perfect. some combinations I go over. That was also when I had half the filter on it an emperor 280 so I think I can do 3 saftly but I want to see what everyone else thinks first. Im stongly considering a royal gramma, I love them. I would get one around an inch so its physically smaller then the clowns. they have their territory already so the royal should be kept in line. I was thinking yellow clown goby but im keeping sps so I dont want to risk that. The reason I thinka royal is because while they do get to 3" they are slender so have smaller bio load then most other perch structured 3" fish.

yey or ney, and personal opinions are welcome

I have two 10s with 3 fish in them- the home tank is 5.5 years old, had a pair of false percs and about a year ago I added a royal gramma with no problems whatsoever.

My library tank is 1.5 years old and has a false perc, a blackcap basslet (closely related to royal grammas), and a yellow clown goby- no problems.

Both of my tanks have about 20lbs of LR. You have a lot of LR so there is a lot of surface area for biological filtration, plus it sounds like you have good flow/filtration.

I only feed each tank twice a week- once they get flake and once they get frozen- either Rod's food or frozen brine. I think that limiting feedings helps keep the bioload in check too.

ApocalypticSurf6

thanks guys helped me out a lot, no I dont have a canopy otherwise their would be a helfrichi in ther by now but I dont want a canopy. MDeth, question for you, I bought my par of tur epercs because I was told they were a pair and were acting like it to for aq while until I added my true rose bulb anemone and now one is always chasing the other away violently. The other clown has been forced to host my sun polyps instead and its weird because for a little while they shared the anemone. you think they will pair or should I look for a pair of clowns and then just swap them with the store? Oh and tashayar I feed my fish about the same but usually frozen mysis, live every once in a while to but I feed my corals everyday with DT's oyster eggs and everyother with DT's phyto, think Im ok?

YIKES i would get that anemone out of the 10G before you know it that thing will overtake your entire tank and you will be pretty screwed, i would get a skimmer with that heavy amount of food in the tank, and add another fish if you would like but the skimmer will be required once you do that, the pir of clowns will be okay, just one will be female (one in the anemone) and the other will become male and they will get along fine then, just give it time

ApocalypticSurf6

Iv always had at least 1 annemone in my 10 ever since I started it almost 3 years ago, never had a problem so il take my chances, and thanks for the advice on the clowns, il watch them kas ino they can change sexes like groupers and what not so weil see, I just feel bad for the little one getting mauled by the big one who took the anemone and now seems like its hosting both sun polyps and the rose bulb at once since they are within a few inches of another

Archived