Cultivated Reef

T5 question for a prop tank

midi

I'm looking at setting up a 20L tank for propagation and am thinking about using T5 for the lights. This will be for softies and LPS. I have an ICECAP 660 that I'm not using so I looked into creating my own system with that as the ballast. Basically it works out to about $220 for a T539 x 4 setup for all the parts if I use Icecap reflectors, endcaps, offsets, and URI T539 bulbs. However, I can buy a Nova Extreme T39x4 + moonlight (who cares?) setup for $190 and there is nothing to build.

So what do you think is a better approach for a prop tank? I want the 36" setup because I will eventually build a 36" prop tank. The literature at Champion Lighting for the URI T5 bulbs and Icecap ballast claim the ballast will push the bulbs to 60 watts. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

stoney waters

I have used icecap ballasts with PC's and they are super bright. It does however decrease the lifespan of the lamps. I believe the same is true with T-5's.

HecticDialectics

No experience with em but from what I've read you're still looking at at least 12 months but closer to 18 or so if they're properly cooled. T5VHO seems like an awful lot (too much? could be higher... but still a -lot-) on a 12" deep tank, though imo. You're gonna need some good acclimation procedures...

On the other hand, the nova extremes are the opposite side of the spectrum- very weak when you just talked about using icecap reflectors/ballast to overdrive. A regular T5ho retro would run into the high $200 range (i.e. a tek retro with icecap reflectors sub-ed in from somewhere like diyreef), but would be better than the nova extreme fixture.

From a cost perspective, it seems like you might as well go with the icecap setup imo. Keep the fixture something like 6" off the water, and then maybe put some window screen over the top of half the tank to filter light for lower light coral.

thanks for the feedback. I didn't consider the icecap solution being too much light. maybe I'll just hook up two URI bulbs and start wtih that and see how it goes; that setup will only be about $110.

No experience with em but from what I've read you're still looking at at least 12 months but closer to 18 or so if they're properly cooled. T5VHO seems like an awful lot (too much? could be higher... but still a -lot-) on a 12" deep tank, though imo. You're gonna need some good acclimation procedures...

On the other hand, the nova extremes are the opposite side of the spectrum- very weak when you just talked about using icecap reflectors/ballast to overdrive. A regular T5ho retro would run into the high $200 range (i.e. a tek retro with icecap reflectors sub-ed in from somewhere like diyreef), but would be better than the nova extreme fixture.

From a cost perspective, it seems like you might as well go with the icecap setup imo. Keep the fixture something like 6" off the water, and then maybe put some window screen over the top of half the tank to filter light for lower light coral.

Archived