Cultivated Reef

So far today I've removed 15 nudibranchs

vabchreef

Hey there NR.

So far today I've removed 15 nudibranchs, 1 from the sandbed, 2 from a piece of lr and the rest out of my 3 zoo frags. I've removed them in the past but have not noticed any in a while. They were various sizes.

After acclimation I dip treat my zoo frags before I place in the tank with kent marine d in tank water, then fresh r/o water dip but not sure if this kills them or their eggs if they are present within the zoos.

Any help or suggestions other than trying to spot them and remove?!

Hey there NR.

So far today I've removed 15 nudibranchs, 1 from the sandbed, 2 from a piece of lr and the rest out of my 3 zoo frags. I've removed them in the past but have not noticed any in a while. They were various sizes.

After acclimation I dip treat my zoo frags before I place in the tank with kent marine d in tank water, then fresh r/o water dip but not sure if this kills them or their eggs if they are present within the zoos.

Any help or suggestions other than trying to spot them and remove?!

your dip will kill the nudis, but not their eggs. their eggs are almost always laid on zoanthids themselves. these you have to scrape off.

FW dip all your zoas and figure on doing so more than a few times.

Look for egg swirls... that is what your inital dip probably missed. You can remove the eggs by hand/tweezer. They are usually found at the base or on the stalk of zoa polyps.

Other than that you have the best chance of spotting adults for manual removal is as soon as your lights first come up or after lights out for a few hours with a flashlight in hand.

Good luck!

Thanks for the responses.

I try to fully inspect all frags during the dip process but obviously missed something (eggs most likely).

As I mentioned, up until today I have only seen 1.

Today, after seeing 1 on the sandbed this afternoon and finding one on the glass and another on a rock, I sat and looked at all the zoos closely and they just started "jumping out at me." So I prepared some bowls for dipping and pulled all the frags out. With my baster and tweezers I removed 12 from the zoos themselves...

Archived