Coral Vue Hydros

More flow...pump options

FiShTaNk

I have a 55 gallon .... I am currently running 2 maxi jet 1200s ... a CPR BAKPAK with a rio 600 pump and a aquaclear 70. I want to get some more flow through my rock work but I don't really want to add more clutter to the inside of my tank. I was thinking about a closed loop, but was hoping that maybe I could get rid of the maxi jets and get a couple of tunze nanostream pumps!?!? I have never used them before so I was hoping to get some opinions on them or other ideas you may have. Thanks.

I haven't used the tunze nanostreams, but you could search here or check the tunze forum on rc. I'm using the seios, and they've been great for me. You may want to check into those as well. I'm sure they'll be cheaper than the tunzes. I use 2x620s on my 40br, but it's only 3ft long. So you may want something bigger depending on what type of corals you keep.

How about modding my 1200s with the mjmods.... That would increase there flow to around 1500 gph according to the website at half the cost of new pumps. Would this be to much flow??? Also has anyone done these mods? If so how do you like the results?

I've only heard good things about the maxi mods, but again, it depends on what you're trying to keep. If you have a tank full of soft corals/lps, then it probably won't make any sense. If you're an sps keeper, then that's another story. I've seen a lot more info about the mj mods on rc.

Well I plan to keep mostly LPS and Softies, but I feel that I am not getting good enough current/flow through my rock work.

If you do the mods it will be too much flow for a 55 gallon softy and LPS tank , Sounds like you need a wider pattern , tunze nanostreams would work well for your application and are smaller than Moded Maxijets . Before you buy them though try this simple Maxijet Mod . It won't cost you anything and will increase / spread out your flow .

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...102833&st=0

Cool thanks, I read this thread along time ago when it first was started but at the time only had a ten so it wasn't really important to me at that time. Also due to that fact that some where unsure on the affects of this mod on the pump it kind of discouraged me so I never really thought about it for the 55. I am def going to try this when I get home from work! I'll let everyone know how it works, maybe post a video up on youtube comparing the results.

Yeah... so I did the mod tonight ... and there is def way more flow.... I only have low flow areas under the power heads in that back corners.... With the stock 1200 I wasn't getting the circulation through the rock work that I wanted and my fish were hardly pushed around. Now the I can see the fish getting pushed around in the current and a ton of flow going all throughout my rock stack. Awesome mod. :lol::lol::lol:

Archived