inTank Media Baskets

current chiller 1/15 i got a question?

kidrobot

hi guys i jst hooked up my chiller in my 24g nanocube tank...i have a question how often does the chiller turn on? because i set my temp for my chiller at 78F when i was looking at the temp at the chiller its at 80-79F once it hits 78 it turns off. then after 2mins it turns back on and the temp shows at the chiller goes up to 80-81F. my room temp during the day 81 and up, and at night its kinda warm too. is there something wrong with my chiller or do i need to get it replaced?

bump!

I think the current chillers have a 2+/- swing if I remember. So if you set it at 78 and tank temp goes to 80 the chiller will turn on and turn off at 76.

Obsessed Reefer

HEY!!! I just got the same chiller, I have mine set for 79, so when it hits 81, it kicks on, brings it back to 79, shuts off, then about 5 minutes later, it repeats. all I hear is the click of it turning on, which is barely noticeable.

I guess you didn't read the manual huh?

You can adjust the temp difference as to when the chiller will turn on and cool down to your prefered temp setting. you can also adjust the display temp if you feel the temp displayed is off. just hold on the "SET" button for 6 seconds or until you see the "CA" display and release. then adjust the the temp display if you feel it's incorrect with the up or down buttons. press set again and the "d" will display. this is where you can adjust the temp difference when the chiller will turn on. +2, +3 or +4 with the same up/down buttons. there is no +0 or +1. let the display cycle back to the temp display and you're done. HTH.

HEY!!! I just got the same chiller, I have mine set for 79, so when it hits 81, it kicks on, brings it back to 79, shuts off, then about 5 minutes later, it repeats. all I hear is the click of it turning on, which is barely noticeable.
Ditto for me....I also have the Current 1/15 chiller set at 79 with a 2 degree swing. Yes sometimes it kicks on/off every few minutes. Like G-Force said you can increase the temp difference to 3 or 4 degrees then the chiller will run longer each time and take longer for the temp to climb back up to where it kicks on again.....but I think the smaller temp difference is better for a reef tank.
Ditto for me....I also have the Current 1/15 chiller set at 79 with a 2 degree swing. Yes sometimes it kicks on/off every few minutes. Like G-Force said you can increase the temp difference to 3 or 4 degrees then the chiller will run longer each time and take longer for the temp to climb back up to where it kicks on again.....but I think the smaller temp difference is better for a reef tank.

how much does the chiller uses power for the whole month... like for example how much would the bill be if it turns on most of the time for the whole month

how much power does the chiller use for the whole month..will it make my bill a little bit higher?

chrisstankevitz

You've been watching too many al gore movies! My electric bill has gone up zero dollars since I started using the chiller.

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys is it ok for the chiller turning on all the time...like for example it turns on every two minutes through the whole day and night?? am i pushing the chiller too much work...and will my bill go up high wen is on day and night.. i have my chiller set on 78F...and wen i look at my coral life digi thermometer the temp says 82.1F am i working it too hard? also i dont have an ac in my room and its hot here in my room... jst worried that my electric bill would go up because the chiller is always running every 2 minutes

The CoralLife's are notoriously inaccurate. Set your chiller temp to 80F and it'll cycle on a lot less. 80 I'd say is a more ideal and completely acceptable temp to set it. it's like A/C, you want it at a median temp where it's not going to cycle on and off too much (which can be bad for compressors) but it keeps the tank at a good stable comfortable temp.

With my JBJ Arctica 1/20th chiller, I have it set to come on when the tank hits 81.5F and it cools it down to 80.5F Takes 5-10 minutes to chill and comes on maybe every 20-25 minutes.

My bill went up by only $2 at the most if even that much. But if yours is running almost 24/7, then your bill might raise up more than other people's on here, so it's best to set the temp higher to keep it from coming on more often. Also the more it runs, the sooner it'll need to be serviced or break down.

so i have to set my chiller at 80F and also whats a good digi thermometer? or should i get a glass thermometer?

so i have to set my chiller at 80F and also whats a good digi thermometer? or should i get a glass thermometer?

I think the glass ones work fine, but myself, well I have a Tom's Aquatic digital thermometor that I use on my tank, but now I just monitor the temp with my AquaController Jr. But the Tom's is ALWAYS no more than 0.2 degrees off from the ACjr. temp probe, so I'd say it's pretty darn accurate and a good bet for a near honest thermometor.

I think the glass ones work fine, but myself, well I have a Tom's Aquatic digital thermometor that I use on my tank, but now I just monitor the temp with my AquaController Jr. But the Tom's is ALWAYS no more than 0.2 degrees off from the ACjr. temp probe, so I'd say it's pretty darn accurate and a good bet for a near honest thermometor.

i have to wait until i get home from work to set my chiller on 80F. right now i swapped the rio 6hf with the stock pump of the nanocube to use for the chiller..is that the cause of the tank to heat up..i changed it because the rio was running loud in my tank..wen i opened it a metall piece was scraping on the propeller and it was all scratched up. should i change the stock pump with MJ1200?

what about this thermometer is this good little time or temp

little time or temp

i have to wait until i get home from work to set my chiller on 80F. right now i swapped the rio 6hf with the stock pump of the nanocube to use for the chiller..is that the cause of the tank to heat up..i changed it because the rio was running loud in my tank..wen i opened it a metall piece was scraping on the propeller and it was all scratched up. should i change the stock pump with MJ1200?

what about this thermometer is this good little time or temp

little time or temp

That's an ok digital thermometor, but the Tom's one like I have is the same price, at least at Petsolutions.com and MarineDepot.com it is.

You live in LA which is where I live, so as you know it's been HOT lately. What's your ambient temp inside the room where your tank is at? That's a big factor of how hot your tank is going to run. Unless you have A/C cooling the ENTIRE room down to at least 75F if not lower, your tank won't stay at 78F very long before rising up from there. I know this because even with central air at my apartment and the temp between 70 and 72, my tank temps will still go above 80F, though thankfully my fan over the renturn chamber to my tank cools the water back down quickly when the A/C in on. B) The Rio might have been making extra heat, and if there was something scraping inside of it, then for sure it was heating up more than it probably normally would. I run an MJ1200 pump on my JBJ 1/20th chiller.

chrisstankevitz

My current 1/15 is pretty loud. It is definately noticable... sounds like an old drinking fountain starting up. I called current and they said "it must not be level. Level it and the noise will go away." I don't believe it.

Fellow 1/15 owners:

Can you lean your chiller a bit so it is not exactly level and tell me if it gets loud?

If you have any tips to get mine quiet, I'd love to hear them.

Thank you!

Chris

That's an ok digital thermometor, but the Tom's one like I have is the same price, at least at Petsolutions.com and MarineDepot.com it is.

You live in LA which is where I live, so as you know it's been HOT lately. What's your ambient temp inside the room where your tank is at? That's a big factor of how hot your tank is going to run. Unless you have A/C cooling the ENTIRE room down to at least 75F if not lower, your tank won't stay at 78F very long before rising up from there. I know this because even with central air at my apartment and the temp between 70 and 72, my tank temps will still go above 80F, though thankfully my fan over the renturn chamber to my tank cools the water back down quickly when the A/C in on. B) The Rio might have been making extra heat, and if there was something scraping inside of it, then for sure it was heating up more than it probably normally would. I run an MJ1200 pump on my JBJ 1/20th chiller.

you think running a MJ1200 would lower the temp for my 1/15 current chiller?

My current 1/15 is pretty loud. It is definately noticable... sounds like an old drinking fountain starting up. I called current and they said "it must not be level. Level it and the noise will go away." I don't believe it.

Fellow 1/15 owners:

Can you lean your chiller a bit so it is not exactly level and tell me if it gets loud?

If you have any tips to get mine quiet, I'd love to hear them.

Thank you!

Chris

my current chiller runs quiet..sorry i couldnt help you.. and also what pump are u using for ur current 1/15 chiller?

It could lower the temps if the operating wattage is less than the Rio, but make sure the flow from it is adaquate enough for it, I believe Current chillers require twice as much flow as the JBJ ones... Mine requires flow between 110 and 160gph.

It could lower the temps if the operating wattage is less than the Rio, but make sure the flow from it is adaquate enough for it, I believe Current chillers require twice as much flow as the JBJ ones... Mine requires flow between 110 and 160gph.

how come the current-usa website stated that the GPH for the current 1/15 is 100-350, and petsolution, marinedepot, drsmithfosters says it in a higher GPH like 300/600 now im confused... i even emailed at current-usa and they told me i need at least 100-350 pump..

current mini chiller 1/15

how come the current-usa website stated that the GPH for the current 1/15 is 100-350, and petsolution, marinedepot, drsmithfosters says it in a higher GPH like 300/600 now im confused... i even emailed at current-usa and they told me i need at least 100-350 pump..

current mini chiller 1/15

Always go with what the manufacture says...

thanks guys i changed my rio 6hf for my chiller and bought a MJ1200..and also i set my temp for my chiller at 80F. i woke up this morning and the temp on my chiller is on 81F and on my corallife digi thermometer says at 80.4F...i think i should get a tom digital thermometer...

Perhaps, but chiller temp and CoralLife thermometor temp might be different anyways since the chiller temp probe is built INTO the chiller itself, and your CoralLife temp probe is somewhere in your tank. Is you chiller cycling on and off a lot less often?

Archived