Coral Vue Hydros

complete overhaul

b_veselka

just looking for any advice or encouragement...i have a major culerpera out break going on. apparently simply cleaning or scrubbing my live rock is not going to cut it- according to advice in another forum. so, i have already gotten the "don't you look at your tank?" and "this problem doesn't happen overnight." spiel. it looks as though i will be removing all of my corals from the current live rock and reattaching them to new rock fragments. I know this is going to be very time consuming. Any advice on easy removal? I will be removing your basic stuff- mushrooms, colt coral, pulsating xenia. I am really only worried about my blue shrooms- if i hurt some of the xenia or colt coral that is fine as it grows like crazy!!! has anyone ever had to do anything like this? or am i the only idiot that thought- "oh what a pretty little green plant that came attached to my chili coral- i think i'll keep it!!!" That stuff is really intertwined in and around my chili coral which is the culprit for this infestation. any advice on saving that guy? the chili coral is really tough when not opened up- which it only does in the dark. can I frag it in order to get peices that aren't strangling in culepera??? i am attaching photos of the aquarium before the problem and after the problem. please excuse the corraline build up in the afters- i became a bit discouraged with all the nasty green growth- I have scraped the glass since these photos were taken- :happy:

the 1st was really early on (like maybe within the 1st 4-5 months)- i have had this tank up and running for a year now.

post-21383-1183900890_thumb.jpg

post-21383-1183901120_thumb.jpg

GoingPostal

Is it mainly feather caulerpa, the kind with the vines? My pet store started dosing iodine and it sprouted up all over her tank, I ripped and scrubbed it off, stayed gone for over a month, then she accidently baked her rock to 100 degrees so I don't know if my solution was the final one or hers. Do you have another tank you can put the corals in when clearing out this tank? I don't know about fragging the chili but everything else should be fine fragged as long as they are healthy in the first place. Maybe buy new rock and cook yours.

Is it mainly feather caulerpa, the kind with the vines? My pet store started dosing iodine and it sprouted up all over her tank, I ripped and scrubbed it off, stayed gone for over a month, then she accidently baked her rock to 100 degrees so I don't know if my solution was the final one or hers. Do you have another tank you can put the corals in when clearing out this tank? I don't know about fragging the chili but everything else should be fine fragged as long as they are healthy in the first place. Maybe buy new rock and cook yours.

yes it is the kind with the vines. they are hell to pull off. i can put my corals in my sisters tank. at one point she had taken some of this to her aquarium and dropped it in thinking it was something good. her fish ate it right up. i just wonder if i can pull most of it off and let her fish do the rest or if her tank would risk coming infected??

SeeDemTails

Yeah thats a lot. doesnt look bad though, like HA or brown algae bad.

Some people go for that kind of look in a tank. Maybe you should just keep it trimmed around your corals. It will give you an excuse to look at your tank more often!

Archived