I'm Slimed!

Dallas

About ready to chemical treat my nano reef for the first time. Been trying to get rid of the red slime on the sand in my tank for the past 2-3 weeks with gravel vac, scooping, and even bought a sand snail to stir things up. The only thing I accomplished was giving my royal gramma ich one too many times (lost it). It keeps coming back - nasty stuff! Chemical treatment may be my only solution although I'm not real excited about it. Anyone have a better solution and what's the best slime killer for an 8 Gal bio cube?

post-28657-1183810103_thumb.jpgThanks!

About ready to chemical treat my nano reef for the first time. Been trying to get rid of the red slime on the sand in my tank for the past 2-3 weeks with gravel vac, scooping, and even bought a sand snail to stir things up. The only thing I accomplished was giving my royal gramma ich one too many times (lost it). It keeps coming back - nasty stuff! Chemical treatment may be my only solution although I'm not real excited about it. Anyone have a better solution and what's the best slime killer for an 8 Gal bio cube?

post-28657-1183810103_thumb.jpgThanks!

Nothing that you tried as an effective way to get cyano out of your tank. The main things I would try would be to stop feeding your tank for a week and skim the crap out of it. Running carbon may help too. To be honest though, most of the methods people say to try don't always work. I had some major issues last year with cyano, and the only thing that got it gone for good was chemi-clean. If you go the chemical route, go with chemi-clean. I've never heard anything bad about it and have used it a few times myself without any problems. I have, however, heard bad news about "red slime remover" in the past.

Hope that helps!

Nothing that you tried as an effective way to get cyano out of your tank. The main things I would try would be to stop feeding your tank for a week and skim the crap out of it. Running carbon may help too. To be honest though, most of the methods people say to try don't always work. I had some major issues last year with cyano, and the only thing that got it gone for good was chemi-clean. If you go the chemical route, go with chemi-clean. I've never heard anything bad about it and have used it a few times myself without any problems. I have, however, heard bad news about "red slime remover" in the past.

Hope that helps!

It does! and thanks for the quick reply. While you're with me... would you happen to know what this is? New critter in my tank (a hitcher that's finally big enough to reveal itself).

post-28657-1183814511_thumb.jpg

It does! and thanks for the quick reply. While you're with me... would you happen to know what this is? New critter in my tank (a hitcher that's finally big enough to reveal itself).

post-28657-1183814511_thumb.jpg

Very hard to tell. Can you get a closeup of it?

cstewart79

A couple things might be adding to your problems here are some quick things to do to hurt the cyano.

#1 Decrease your feedings cut at least in half

#2 Increase flow of your tank, it only likes low flow areas

#3 Dose some kalkwasser - it raises the pH and from my experience makes it go away

if those do not work

I have used red sea "red slime remover" , it worked well and killed it in 24 hours.

Scott Riemer

I used Boyd's Chemi-Clean Red Slime Remover and the Cyano was 80% gone in 24 hours and 100% gone in 48. I've heard a few "horror" stories but I'd be willing to bet many of them were because the instructions weren't followed.

joesmoe517
WATER CHANGE + SCOOP OUT + MASSSSSSSSSSSIVE FLOW TO THAT AREA. AND NO CHECMICALS ARE NEEDED HOMESTAR

Not necessarily, i've tried these methods many times in different aquariums and every aquarium usually needs something a little different. I've seen it caused by low flow alone, and also by low pH, and most commonly too many phostphates in the system (caused by overfeeding as mentioned before). If none of the above work chemi-clean is safe in my book if you use an 8 day period of following the dosing directions and then performing a water change.

I admit it... when I got to whits end with Cyno I used Chemi-Clean. I followed the directions to the letter and it worked. Haven't had an issue since.

Archived