ReefCleaners.org

Hermit Rubble?

modularduck

SO here is the tank after the move. i have changed from the make shift whisper power filter to a taam nano skimmer, seems to be working well. also i added a jewel damsel just for something to swim around. seems to be fine with Boba. Although it was very interesting to watch them check each other out when i added the jewel. so here is the new pic

DSCF1102.jpg

ok so the jewel has taken up hangin out at the entrance to Boba's burrow. anybody ever seen anything like this? still tryin to get a pic, the point and shoot aint cutting it. anybody know if in the wild a g.smithii will associate with a damsel?

Mantis shrimp are the best! I just had mine pass away from a bad molt last week. I had him for about 18 months. Bam Bam...man I loved that little alien. Good looking set up. I am going to wait awhile before I do another mantis tank...but there will be another. He was the coolest saltwater critter that I ever had.

he'll probably end up killing the damsel..Just MO.

Dude we have pretty similar set ups Haha, I have my smithii in 5.5gal too. But mine is of less quality. And my little guy is only about a inch or so long. He is a bit of a wimp right now. He only hangs out with his eyes poking out of his lair. I just added a damsel today and I have no clue how thats gonna go..

Does the damsel still exist??

The damsel lives! and yeah they seem to be cohabitating quite well last night i put a little cyclopeze in for the corals and they both came out of the den area and poked around looking for anything worthy of them eating it. pretty cool stuff! your smithii will grow and become really cool to watch and should become pretty personable as well. especially as its fairly small still. nice.

Smasher mantis will go for fish if the opportunity arises; they do prefer invertebrates, but I've seen them go for fish, y'know, take a swing at 'em.

Cool tank! That mantis is beautiful. We have a black and white striped zebra spearer at work; he's super-cool. And he loves frozen/thawed KRILL! He also goes for f/t mysis, and swats at it wildly to catch bits of it out of the water. PURE hilarity! Of course his favorite is live ghost shrimp, but he still doesn't even hesitate to go for the krill. A bit of a hesitation for the mysis. He is cool, and pretty small at about 3". I'd set him up a little nano if it didn't mean the opportunity to start with little frags, then more corals, then a MH pendant, then a skimmer, then "I guess I'll just set up the 26 reef again... DOH!" LOL. If only I had some self-restraint! :happy:;)

Anyway cool setup. :flower:

• 2 weeks later...

so i finally got the new hood built for this tank i will post some pics of it on the tank tonight!! it looks uber better than the half a$$ rigged up ghetto thing i had been doing. i love power tools... ;)

So here are thew pics of my new hood! this weekend i will try to find time to make the base.

DSCF1203.jpg

DSCF1201.jpg

and one of some zoas under actinic

DSCF1205.jpg

• 3 months later...

well it has been some time since i posted here and it is with sad heart and a tear that i tell you last weekend boba passed away. not sure why, water parameters and everything were just fine. he was eating well. sucks but i guess its possible it was his time. he will be missed. RIP boba, you will be missed...

Archived