ReefCleaners.org

Pictures up of my new aquascape...

opaquelace

Helfrichs Chick

Yea I would ditch that rock on top, and also that little white one on the sand. Just try taking it out and taking a pic. I am betting it will look really nice. I think lots of people go overboard with rock when setting up a tank... especially a nano. When you are at a LFS and see a BEAUTIFUL coral that you want, buttt its attached to a big rock lol. You will have no room for it. MY suggestion is to keep in mind that corals come on rocks, and not to add huge peices of rock that will limit you in the long run. MO. Hope that helps :)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get rid of the candy bar on the bottom right along with the potato ;)

100% agree with Helfrich, your coral usually comes on liverock which will help cover any blemishes ;)

The beauty of n-r is that there is enough diversity to give you a range of opinions on anything you ask...As you can see, different people have different aesthetic tastes. Ultimately, if it pleases you, go for it.

I tend to think the "potato" will just blend in once you start adding inhabitants, but it is true that you might need some "rock room" for corals. OTOH, if you're the patient sort, you can keep your eye out for very small frags of what you want, and wait for them to grow onto your own rocks.

The only constant I've come across in my brief (3-4 years) experience of reef keeping is change. No doubt your tank will evolve as long as you have it.

--Diane

strangelove
The beauty of n-r is that there is enough diversity to give you a range of opinions on anything you ask...As you can see, different people have different aesthetic tastes. Ultimately, if it pleases you, go for it.

I tend to think the "potato" will just blend in once you start adding inhabitants, but it is true that you might need some "rock room" for corals. OTOH, if you're the patient sort, you can keep your eye out for very small frags of what you want, and wait for them to grow onto your own rocks.

The only constant I've come across in my brief (3-4 years) experience of reef keeping is change. No doubt your tank will evolve as long as you have it.

--Diane

Diane your like the Mother Teresa of NR ;) warm snugglies and all

by the way, stick the "potato" in the oven :lol:

I'm planning on re-doing the whole thing today... With the curve of the scape the way it is now, I will have trouble putting coral in there and I want to have the maximum amount of space for coral.

I would prefer to buy frags instead of whole colonies, that way I can watch the coral spread more. It's going to take a lot of patience, but I think it will be more gratifying in the long run.

And I changed the size of the picture in my signature...sorry about that.

Oh, and thanks for all the responses.

roushinator

Tank looks good. My BC29 is about 16 days old. Where in LA are you i am in Baton Rouge. Only a couple places in town to get Saltwater stuff but i here there is an awesome store somewhere near Slidell.

Tank looks good. My BC29 is about 16 days old. Where in LA are you i am in Baton Rouge. Only a couple places in town to get Saltwater stuff but i here there is an awesome store somewhere near Slidell.

I'm in Lafayette for college...I will have to go to Baton Rouge to look...there are only two stores in Lafayette that deal with saltwater so it makes for a really limited selection.

My parents live in N.O. so I will have to check out that store in Slidell when I go visit them before school restarts. Do you know the name of it?

roushinator
I'm in Lafayette for college...I will have to go to Baton Rouge to look...there are only two stores in Lafayette that deal with saltwater so it makes for a really limited selection.

My parents live in N.O. so I will have to check out that store in Slidell when I go visit them before school restarts. Do you know the name of it?

No. I will have to ask my friend again. When i find out i will post it here.

Take the big rock off, take the candy bar and place it where the big rock was and bridge the gap, it'll make a nice overhang. :)

Take the big rock off, take the candy bar and place it where the big rock was and bridge the gap, it'll make a nice overhang. :)

Haha...yeah I'm redoing the whole thing. The cove formation creates a problem in the middle...I won't be able to put much in there even though my boyfriend thinks it's the perfect place for an open brain. I don't know...I'd rather not have dead space...I'm going to try and get it to look more natural. Thanks for the suggestion :D

I redid the whole thing. I added a little cave :happy: . I want to know if it will cause problems by the way of being a nutrient trap or something. Let me know what you people think. I got rid of the potato and the candy bar :huh: ...well they are still in there...they just got new headquarters.

The water is still a bit murky from stirring up the sand and such. Here it is! :D

P7160076.jpg?t=1184630252

And a close(ish) up...

P7160078.jpg?t=1184630472

chrisdamage

Hey there... I told you you'd be changing your aquascape a bunch haha. I like the most recent one the best... as soon as I get my girlfriend's nice camera I am going to be posting pics of my BC14... I completely tore down my first one and added all my corals to my newest BC14... I think I'm going to take it to work and put it in my "office"... maybe do just a FOWLR w/a Frogfish or something. Everything is looking good! Make sure you keep reading up on things! later

Hey there... I told you you'd be changing your aquascape a bunch haha. I like the most recent one the best... as soon as I get my girlfriend's nice camera I am going to be posting pics of my BC14... I completely tore down my first one and added all my corals to my newest BC14... I think I'm going to take it to work and put it in my "office"... maybe do just a FOWLR w/a Frogfish or something. Everything is looking good! Make sure you keep reading up on things! later

Haha, I know I know. My sister saw me messing with it and she said "What are you doing, you mess with that entirely too much and you don't even have any fish!" I just kind of went uhh... :huh:

I like this one so far the best too...I think it's more natural than all of the others.

I'm not sure what FOWLR means...but I'm going to take a guess and think it means Fish Only With Live Rock?

I think it looks good. The only thing I would say, from my experience doing the same thing, the caves kind of become useless space in a small reef tank. I wish I would have used the space in mine to place corals in direct light, our plan was that something would live in it, but nothing has.

-pair or trio of some kind of shrimp...I've heard that sexies will (unfortunately) find a spot in a tank of my size and may never be seen again which is disappointing because they are extremely entertaining to watch :lol:

Mine did that at first, but now hang out on anthelia and yellow polyp stalks all day, climb walls etc. I stuck some mangrove seedlings in for looks and they really love climbing them to the surface and hanging out in the PH flow. So, a little encouragement goes a long way with those guys. They're so small in our 8gl (we have 2) that we're planning on getting quite a few more, they seem much more active when there are more playing king of the mountain with each other.

I think it looks good. The only thing I would say, from my experience doing the same thing, the caves kind of become useless space in a small reef tank. I wish I would have used the space in mine to place corals in direct light, our plan was that something would live in it, but nothing has.

Mine did that at first, but now hang out on anthelia and yellow polyp stalks all day, climb walls etc. I stuck some mangrove seedlings in for looks and they really love climbing them to the surface and hanging out in the PH flow. So, a little encouragement goes a long way with those guys. They're so small in our 8gl (we have 2) that we're planning on getting quite a few more, they seem much more active when there are more playing king of the mountain with each other.

in my 45g tank, i used to have a cave too.its looks cool to have a cave but it really waste space.

in the end, i change my aquascape.

It looks better. I would still consider breaking some of those rocks up even more. I had large chunks and I fought with myself to get it to look "right" after i broke them up, it was much easier to get a cleaner more open look.

But hey if you like it. WOOT WOOT!

Thanks...I'll have to think about a playground for the sexies because I really like them.

That cave thing is mainly there because I didn't know what to do with the rock that forms the ceiling and I didn't want to take it out in case I wanted to use it in another aquascape. It's kind of a fugly rock...but maybe it will look nice with some zoanthids or GSP on it...I think that would be cool over a cave. That cave looks to be crazy deep...but it really only goes in about an inch and a half from the edge of the ceiling rock.

I would still consider breaking some of those rocks up even more. I had large chunks and I fought with myself to get it to look "right" after i broke them up, it was much easier to get a cleaner more open look.

I don't really want to break up the rock, because the big rocks on the bottom provide a lot of stability for the scape. I'll think about it though. I really do like it this way, I think it's my best one so far...but with no fishies and no pretty coral the only thing I have to mess with IS my rock so that might change again haha.

Archived