Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

3 Corals/3 Issue's

BytheSea

First issue is with my cap. It has a and white section (looks brown due to algae groeth) that continues to get bigger. It was initially caused by direct water flow. I thought once I removed the cause it would improve, but has not. Can I just clip off the white section, would that stop the white growth?

badspot.jpg

Second issue is with my Porities. I've had it since April 2007 and I've never seen any pylops or growth. I've read that the pylops are small. Are they so small they can't be seen? It also as continues algae growth on it. Is it dead? Does it need some sort of special care?

notgrowing.jpg

Thrid issue is with my leather. It was doing great until I moved it into my 30G tank that I setup this past Sunday. The first night it looked as it usually did, very full and fully extended pylops. That was the last time it did. In my other tank it was in a more shaded area, but in this tank it still not directly under the light. Should I be patient and give it some time to adapt or should I move it?

downleather.jpg

What are your tank specs? size - lighting - turnover - filtration.

Tests? ammonia - nitrite - nitrate - phosphate?

The first pic is hard to tell whats really going on, but the white is most likely dying tissue exposing the hard coral underneath. Causes for that are numerous but, I would suspect, that a tank parameter is the issue. Algal growth, of course, being a good indicator of this.

The porites looks to be a goner, and seems to have been that way for a while judging by algal growth and bleaching. Another indicator of a problem with tank parameters.

The leather needs time to rebound from the move, but may have a difficult time if, as indicated by the other corals, a tank parameter is off.

Your porites should look like this. I agree they look gone. Have you ever seen the polyps?

porite.jpg

Get us the info dshnarw requested.

jsw... My Porities has never looked like yours, it always been like the pic. It has little goose bumps on it, so to speak. So I'm guessing it was already dead when I bought it. :angry:

dshnarw... Here are my water parameters I took a few hours ago...

Calcium...420-440

Akalinty...150ppm/8.4dkh

PH...8.1-8.2

KH... 6-7dkh

temp...77.5

Ammonia,nitrite,nitrate...0

I'm going to have them double checked tomorrow at the fish store.

Light is supplied by a 150w MH fixture.

Tonight (just a few minutes ago) I notice a few poylps on the Porities that has the goose bumbs.

Light is supplied by a 150w MH fixture.

Tonight (just a few minutes ago) I notice a few poylps on the Porities that has the goose bumbs.

That is a great sign! IME, with a hitchhiker Porites, they are very resilient. I let the colony get overgrown by mushrooms for a year or more, and just assumed it was lost. Recently I cleared out most of the shrooms for another reason. The Porites area was totally skeletal looking...but within a very short time it sprouted two new little clumps of polyps which have been growing rapidly.

My Porites like to eat frozen Cyclopeeze...you might try that. And I would try to clean off the algae and any other crud on them by gently wiping when the polyps are closed. Good luck!

--Diane

Here's an update... Tonight I see that my leather is shedding. Where the skin is peeling off the poylps are starting to extend again. The Porities is beginning to show a little sign of life, with a few poylps starting to show themselves. The cap I cut off the white/dieing part and so far so good.

Ah, yes, leathers will shed. :) And so, BTW, will the Porites--it is one of the few SPS that do that. Sounds like you're making progress!

--Diane

Archived