10+10g prop/experimental aquarium

crrichey

Picture028.jpg

Picture029.jpg

The plan is to house several species of macro algae in the sump. My goal is for the macroalgae to fixate the ammonia produced before it has a chance to be converted into nitrite (therefor this aquarium will have absolutely no liverock and no livesand!). All corals will be mounted to small dry rock. Lighting will be a Viper 150watt fixture.

I agree that you will need some LR. On a side note, I'm glad that the egg crate sides are catching on. I used black krylon fusion paint on mine to turn them black (cheaper and stronger than buying black eggcrate).

Cheers,

- Chad

i hope you are planning on painting the bottom and back of that tank... at least the bottom other wise you will get a wicked glare... just something to think about... oh and i agree you should put at least some LR in your sump/fuge

sounds like a neat little project keep us updated

good luck

I agree that you will need some LR. On a side note, I'm glad that the egg crate sides are catching on. I used black krylon fusion paint on mine to turn them black (cheaper and stronger than buying black eggcrate).

Cheers,

- Chad

What sux is that I can hear everything going on in the sump with the eggcrate. I can always add liverock so I will see how macro only does and take it from there.

Deleted User 7

The macro will remove nutrients, phosphates, and some will remove nitrates. But without something for your biological filtration your tank will never even cycle. Keep us posted.

That is the hole point, to aviod the tank ever cycling. Let the macro algae use the ammonium before it can ever become nitrite and nitrate.

Deleted User 7
plants dont take in ammonia

Exactly.

You really can't avoid a cycle. If you don't add liverock, it will just happen as soon as you add something biological. And then that something dies.

Archived