inTank Media Baskets

Belated Two Year Update

rickjg

Very nice! Its refreshing to see a mature nano around here. Love the vivarium too, I remember when you set that up, doesn't seem like a year ago.

By upgrade I meant tank size of course. Which intern mean that you would have to upgrade lighting. But still remain nano. I think a 16 bow would be cool. Most of your coral have out grown this tank and if you dont already trim pretty soon youll have to trim and get rid of the tims. So why not upgrade?

Yea, thats the problem ... I don't consider a 16G tank to be an upgrade. Part of the challenge of keeping a nano-reef is keeping everything fitting into a specified space. I like to think of nano-reefing as a discipline like say growing a bonsai tree. It can take a lot of skill to keep a reef or a tree confined to a very small area & still be successful.

-Rick

hey, whats your lighting btw?

I have three lights jammed in the hood, (1) 18 watt & (2) 27 watts for a total of 72 watts.

DSCN5205.jpg

-Rick

Very nice! Its refreshing to see a mature nano around here. Love the vivarium too, I remember when you set that up, doesn't seem like a year ago.

Hey thanks Jason,

Sorry you decided to tear down your viv, I always thought the look of the setup was just amazing, even thought of copying some of your ideas if I ever setup another viv.

-Rick

Is that a 6gallon? I didn't know a six gallon fit 72watts, mine only have 48watts.

Hey NanoCube-boy,

It's a 6G nano-cube alright. You can see in the previous picture how tight the lamps fit in the hood, so tight in fact that I made my own pin connectors for the (2) 27 watt lamps & fit them thru holes drilled in the side of the hood.

closeupdetail.jpg

-Rick

wow, can the splash guard fit with those lamps?

The stock splash guard fits with no problem, but I made a new splash guard to cover the lamp pin conectors which protrude into the area where I removed one of the brackets that hold the hood open.

fulltankpicwlights.jpg

very nice job, it's gorgeous.

Hinecken,

Thanks, I feel very privileged that you posted on my thread … go 02ers

A man of few words

Does that fuge light work well? Where did you get it? Good chaets? How long are those 27watts lamp?

the LED lamp was from besthongkong.com and it did grow Chaeto for a while, but the LEDs slowly failed and I removed the LED lamp & the Cheato.

I don't remember the exact size of the 27 watt lamps, but I think I posted somewhere in the N-C contest thread linked below.

-Rick

Hinecken,

Thanks, I feel very privileged that you posted on my thread … go 02ers

A man of few words

Scary that '02 is nano-oldskool. I've always lurked more than I've posted, but every once in a while you gotta stop and give credit where it's due. Again, very nice job.

absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!! gives me some food for thought as I think about stocking my new tank. I love the simplicity, and how it is not crammed with many different things. Thanks for sharing!!!

Scary that '02 is nano-oldskool.

I've always lurked more than I've posted, but every once in a while you gotta stop and give credit where it's due. Again, very nice job.

Thanks again Hinecken

I don't mind being old school, it works for me.

It's nice having this forum to learn more about nano-reefs. When I started my 1st 12G reef in '97 there was very little info available.

absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!! gives me some food for thought as I think about stocking my new tank. I love the simplicity, and how it is not crammed with many different things. Thanks for sharing!!!

Thanks fries852,

The way the corals have grown has not left room for a large selection and I've sold off some corals to make additional room.

Where did you get the Heat shield from?

It's just the stock reflector flattened out with holes punched where needed to mount the lamp holders.

I think Nanotuners has a heat shield for the NC6 3.18 light upgrade.

I couldnt imagine what it would be like to not have online help to turn to. I mean listening to your LFS, What a scary thought.

Archived