ReefCleaners.org

Belated Two Year Update

rickjg

Looks like I’m about a month behind on my two year update,

so I snapped some quick pics

(yea I know, should have used the tripod & maybe cleaned the tank 1st)

68bw2ti.jpg

Full front

53tj4ep.jpg

Skunk Clown

4qpkrig.jpg

‘shrooms ???

52fn32d.jpg

Orange Monti

686ys0p.jpg

Staghorn

Deleted User 7

Thank god! My favorite tank is back on N-R!!!!! I still have your tank as the background on my desktop computer! Inspirational!

Awesome! I like the simplicity look! It's like painting in bold, strong strokes. Everything is well-defined. Loves the xenia corner!

Awesome! I like the simplicity look! It's like painting in bold, strong strokes. Everything is well-defined. Loves the xenia corner!

I have nothing original to say so +1 :lol:

holy ###### i like the look of your tank.

Well robbie, holy ###### THANKS back at you

Very nice! I especially love the staghorn :) It's so refreshing to see a mature tank in all it's glory!

Hello ecotoxlady

THANKS, I picked this type of Staghorn because of the very thin branching growth, which works really well in small tanks.

The Staghorn has had STN (Slow Tissue Necrosis) ever since the big heat wave last summer when my tank overheated. You can see how it is slowly dieing off from the bottom up, but as long as it grows faster than the STN spreads I'm OK.

Thank god! My favorite tank is back on N-R!!!!! I still have your tank as the background on my desktop computer! Inspirational!

Doc Daggett

What can I say, but WOW, that's a lot of pressure ... I'm going to need a better camera & take better pics in the future.

very nice tank!!!

fragmadness THANKS

Thanks Duncan

Your tank is progressing very well

' date='Jul 5 2007, 06:53 PM' post='1206746']I have nothing original to say so +1 :lol:

Battle Royal, I have nothing original to say, but THANKS

i love the look of grass with that GSP on the bottom... very cool

Matty1124 ... very cool THANKS back too you

• 2 weeks later...
travisurfer

looks nice. there's something to be said about a tank with just a few large colonies. if you go diving, you'll notice that things really aren't the way most reefers portray them as: a large collection and great variety of small frags within one square foot. on a reef, you would only see a colony or two in that space. i dunno, i'm just ranting i guess.

• 2 weeks later...
Are those acros on top?

Yup, they are some type of acro, I just call them staghorns because I don't know the species

looks nice. there's something to be said about a tank with just a few large colonies. if you go diving, you'll notice that things really aren't the way most reefers portray them as: a large collection and great variety of small frags within one square foot. on a reef, you would only see a colony or two in that space. i dunno, i'm just ranting i guess.

I have to agree, I'm not always fond of reefs with a large number of different corals scattered around, it just looks too artificial to my eyes.

Heres my belated congratulations.

Your tank looks fantastic. Good job Rick.

THANKS

Ever condsider an upgrade? Or are you a strong beleiver in not messing with a good thing.

Your vivarium is bad @$$ by the way.

Beautiful! Stunning!

Makes mine look like a jigsaw puzzle--too many pieces..

What a gorgeous shroom colony!

Do you ever have to prune things?

Wow!

--Diane

masterbuilder

Wonderful! My question is: How the heck do you keep the coraline off the back wall? Mine in covered in the stuff.

Ever condsider an upgrade? Or are you a strong beleiver in not messing with a good thing.

Your vivarium is bad @$$ by the way.

What do you consider an “Upgrade” Diskusting ???, larger tank, different lighting, cutting edge corals? I’m pretty dedicated to nano-reefs in general and I don’t consider larger reefs to be “upgrading”. I’ve had a 7G SPS N-R in the planning stages for a while, and there are reefers around San Diego that sell some amazing SPS frags from time to time and I’ve had my eye on some of them for the 7G, but until I get a real chiller it’s not going to happen. I’ve also been kind of planning how I could setup a pico-reef, but nothing solid yet.

My vivarium is probably the reason I haven’t setup a new N-R tank yet, I’m really enjoying the frogs lately. I recently bought a single female Vent from a local SCADS (Southern California Dendrobates Society) member and it drastically changed the dynamics of my group of Vents. For the 1st year my threesome of Vents was very secretive and would hide if they spotted me, although they did lay eggs and successfully raise one froglet. When I added the forth adult Vent that changed and now I can spot at least a couple of them out in the open at any given time and sometimes all five will come out in the open for a fruit fly feeding frenzy.

-Rick

Beautiful! Stunning!

Makes mine look like a jigsaw puzzle--too many pieces..

What a gorgeous shroom colony!

Do you ever have to prune things?

Wow!

--Diane

Hi Diane,

I prune the soft corals very heavily every few months. The xenia is easy to prune, I just scrape it off the glass and the GSP gets completely removed from the tank and trimmed with scissors since it’s just growing over the sand bed. But the red ‘shrooms are a problem, because I have to remove the rock and place it into a bucket of SW and then cut the ends (heads) off as many of the ‘shrooms as possible. This keeps the ‘shrooms smaller and the ends start re-growing within a couple of weeks. If left unchecked the ‘shrooms start getter much larger & longer, which brings them into contact with other corals. I also try to remove any wayward xenia or ‘shrooms that have landed in unwanted areas. I used to just send the trimmings down the drain, but the last couple of times I’ve had good luck giving them away on sdreefs.com

-Rick

Wonderful! My question is: How the heck do you keep the coraline off the back wall? Mine in covered in the stuff.

Hey masterbuilder, I don't dose this tank, I am purposely running a low calcium setup which seems to keep coralline algae from growing. I know it goes against conventional reef tank maintenance principles to run a low calcium setup, but IMO most nano-reefs don’t need to be dosed, if you do regular water changes. I like the look of the black background better than a coralline covered background and I feel the LR has more available surface area for beneficial bacteria if it’s not totally covered in coralline.

That said, if I ever get around to setting up a 7G SPS N-R then I may have to rethink my philosophy or run a huge fuge & large water changes.

-Rick

Wow, I LOVE the xenia! I hope mine gets like that! Do yours pulse?

The xenia pulses like crazy, and that’s the 1st thing non-reef people ask about when viewing the tank. Invariably most ask how that plant growing on the glass can move the way it does. Some people even think it’s like a Venus flytrap growing under water and it’s trying to capture any little fishes swimming by.

-Rick

FLcracker94

lol, thats why I want mine to pulse, cause its cool, and cause no one will have any idea what its doing lol...I'll be like "Na, you don't need to know, but I'll give you $100 if you guess right" lol.

I'll make it my little secret....

heres mine in my 12ga (going to move it to my 90ga soon)

post-29538-1185923088_thumb.jpg

its next to my HUGE colonie of halimeda....too bad I had to tear out all of the Halimeda though, it will interfere with the coral growth in my new tank if I put it in (when I put the rock in)

Hi Diane,

I prune the soft corals very heavily every few months. The xenia is easy to prune, I just scrape it off the glass and the GSP gets completely removed from the tank and trimmed with scissors since it’s just growing over the sand bed. But the red ‘shrooms are a problem, because I have to remove the rock and place it into a bucket of SW and then cut the ends (heads) off as many of the ‘shrooms as possible. This keeps the ‘shrooms smaller and the ends start re-growing within a couple of weeks. If left unchecked the ‘shrooms start getter much larger & longer, which brings them into contact with other corals. I also try to remove any wayward xenia or ‘shrooms that have landed in unwanted areas. I used to just send the trimmings down the drain, but the last couple of times I’ve had good luck giving them away on sdreefs.com

-Rick

You were very intelligent to make sure the Xenia was on the glass in the first place, and the GSP on the sand! So far my GSP has remained in check, but my Xenia has been pruned many times. I can sometimes get credit for what I remove at an lfs more than an hour from here, but I usually take it to a more local lfs (perhaps the first one should be an rfs--"remote fish shop") which will just take it off my hands. At least it lives on in their tanks...

And I have had to clear out Discosomas more than once. What I hate about it is that they are so tenacious--I never get the clean cuts that I want--and they start oozing toxic softy stuff by the gallon...of course, so does the Xenia, which I have to cut/scrape off foundation rocks I don't want to remove from the tank. At least I can remove the 'shrooms, but even in a temporary container it's a sloppy, discouraging job!

All that griping aside, I love these softies for many of the reasons I hate to prune them--their beautiful, lush growth, their hardiness, etc. You have used them so effectively!

--Diane

What do you consider an “Upgrade” Diskusting ???, larger tank, different lighting, cutting edge corals? I’m pretty dedicated to nano-reefs in general and I don’t consider larger reefs to be “upgrading”. I’ve had a 7G SPS N-R in the planning stages for a while, and there are reefers around San Diego that sell some amazing SPS frags from time to time and I’ve had my eye on some of them for the 7G, but until I get a real chiller it’s not going to happen. I’ve also been kind of planning how I could setup a pico-reef, but nothing solid yet.

-Rick

By upgrade I meant tank size of course. Which intern mean that you would have to upgrade lighting. But still remain nano. I think a 16 bow would be cool. Most of your coral have out grown this tank and if you dont already trim pretty soon youll have to trim and get rid of the tims. So why not upgrade?

Archived