Top Shelf Aquatics

Jawfish feeding...

chrisdamage

chrisdamage

I'm having a hard time trying to get my new jawfish to eat... I've tried Formula One, Cyclopeeze, Freeze-Dried Krill, bits of Frozen Brine Shrimp, just about everything... I've tried using a turkey baster and target feeding him, I've also tried just putting the food in the tank... I've had him for about 4 days now and he's still not eating and I'm getting worried... His only other tankmate is a purple firefish so I don't think he's getting intimidated... Help please, if you have any comments or suggestions anything will be appreciated.

geekreef_05

How large is this fish?

If you have a mature tank with lots of pods in there its possible that he might not eat at all cause he's feeding off that live food source.

Otherwise, I suggest keep trying frozen brine shrimp...it tastes good to them and usually is a great way to start the feeding process.

Be wary of overfeeding and keep watch to see if that fish is eating anything else.

My jawfish liked frozen mysis. I had to target feed him with a baster. Does the he hide from the baster? Mine used to and I had to be creative and shoot the food to him without him seeing the baster.

You might have to try hatching some brine shrimp and feed him some live food.

chrisdamage

I do think he might be afraid of the baster... I've tried frozen brine to no avail... Part of my troubles are that his location in the tank is in a very inconvenient spot for feeding or being sneaky with the baster... I called my LFS where I got him from and they told me to try live brine also, so i guess I'll give that a try and see whats up...

Just try to get him eating pellet or flake for the time being.

My goby was too skittish to be fed via baster for about 3 months now :P

I just got him to stop hiding everytime I open the cover so he can get some food.

My dusky jawfish LOVES P.E. brand mysis. Actually everything in my tank will eat that stuff up greedily.

It's early and no time to panic , just feed your firefish as you normaly would and let the jawfish settle in and get comfortable . He will eat when he gets hungry and settles down . Four days is not going to kill him . keep the basters out of his face , instead if you want , put a small glass in front of his burrow , lay it on it's side and leave some mysis in it . Then walk away far enough so he doesn't see you watching him .

chrisdamage
It's early and no time to panic , just feed your firefish as you normaly would and let the jawfish settle in and get comfortable . He will eat when he gets hungry and settles down . Four days is not going to kill him . keep the basters out of his face , instead if you want , put a small glass in front of his burrow , lay it on it's side and leave some mysis in it . Then walk away far enough so he doesn't see you watching him .

thats cool, I like that idea... I actually got him to eat live brine today, so thats good... now I'm going to slowly start to mix live brine w/not so live brine and hopefully get him eating prepared foods

Archived