Innovative Marine Aquariums

arag-alive dust harmful?

ReadyReefer

ReadyReefer

Alright, so I was stubborn and went ahead and bought CC because it was cheaper, but the problem is as of now i have my LR, a hermit, and a snail in the tank right now. So I was wondering if the dust that inevitably comes of of the substrate would be harmful to any of the above. Right now I don't have any means to remove the hermit and crab to another tank, but i could get one if ablolutely necessary.

thanx

ben

It isn't good for them, but it probably won't hurt them too horribly bad. I think that you would have to be more worried about burying them when you put the sand it. Arag-alive is really dusty, and it can tank a day or two to settle out. When it did finally settle in my tank, there was a fairly thick layer of dust covering all of my live rock so I rinsed them off with the old tank water from a water change.

I dont understand what youre saying, youre asking a question about Arag-alive but you said you used crushed coral? The dust in the sand wont hurt your animals. Might make your corals close up until it clears though.

You should be fine. The problems that could arise due to CC far outweigh any risk that would be taken upon a hermit and a snail from the dust storm. Plus, it gets pretty dusty during a big storm in the ocean, so the organisms can most likely handle it(hermits and snails are really hardy for the most part as well)

just my 0.02$

your araga-dust should settle down and eventually dissolve into solution. just think of it as a heavy dose of araga-milk or purple-up. basically the same concept.

Archived