Coral Vue Hydros

TEST FIRE! HOLY CRAP! new setup with pics!

SALINITY

Hello everyone,

I have decided to upgrade my NC12 to a 34G custom cube with a custom durso overflow. I have just installed my new light setup to test everything before I move in a month. After I move I will officially start the build!

As you can see in the pics I have lots of light! I am running a 250w Sunpod with a Phoenix 14k bulb and an 80W Orbit 1x daylight and 1x dual Actinic. All adding up to 330 watts. I have a custom Sump on the way from "DKreefkeepers" on the board. I also just received my new Reefkeeper2 in order to control all of this craziness.

I will be running a closed loop with a Panworld pump and an OM 4 way squirt turning over about 900gph, the sump will be turning over closer to 450 GPH with a reduced flow going into the refugium section with a Goemans plenum setup. The sump will also house a Aquac Urchin pro skimmer.

Here are some pictures for you to enjoy!! I will document this build right from step one, stay tuned!

PS. This setup is so freakin bright! The pics hardly do it justice!

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

Wow. Looks like a cool setup. Keep us posted with pics.

I can't wait to start the build, I have so much work ahead of me..... :o

I like the dimensions of that tank... hardly anyone does columnar reefs. I'm sure the corals near the bottom will get plenty of light too with those beasts on there.

Very Nice! Good Luck!

I am pretty sure I am going to have to buy a chiller for this setup, I will have to do some testing first but then 250W Halide puts out some heat!

:o

I like the dimensions of that tank... hardly anyone does columnar reefs. I'm sure the corals near the bottom will get plenty of light too with those beasts on there.

I have always really liked the look of a column reef style cube tank too. I plan on drilling the rock and tying it all together to make it solid and safe, I don't want a rock slide in the aquarium!

Okay! I have now purchased my closed loop plumbing combination! My setup is going to look just like the plumbing setup below originally designed by Oogie from the board.

plumb03.jpg

Here is a the pump and the SWCD Ocean Motion Squirt.

Any thoughts or further suggestions?

pw50x.jpg

Pan World Pumps Asia Pacific is a member of the Pan World Group, Japan. Pan World is a leading maker of magnetic drive pumps. It produces one of the widest ranges in the world. Also know by Blueline HD pumps in the USA. These pumps were designed and built by the former chief engineer from Iwaki-Japan. They feature similar flow rates and head pressure. They offer low noise, and reliablity that have made Iwaki the best magnetic drive pumps available. The PanWorld pumps are even a little more quiet then Iwaki, they have a full 2 year parts and labor guarantee. All seal-free bearings and magnetic drive for many years of trouble free use. These pumps also include the Powercord, something iwaki leaves off.

We highly recommend these pumps as the best quality option you can get for your tank. Plus you can't beat there price, which is lower then Iwaki. So if you need a good reliable pump that won't over heat your water or run you out of the house due to noise, this is it.

Model 50PX-X - equal to Iwaki MD30X Circulation rated

1110gph max flow

13 foot max head pressure

90 watts

1" MPT in/out

Footprint 5 x 10

squirt-commerce.gif

Our OM Squirt is designed for smaller tanks and pumps running 1000 gallons per hour or less. We recommend that when using a pump with a higher capacity a bypass unit be purchased.

The OM Squirt has both a 3/4 inlet and 3/4 outlets and operates like our 4 Way unit (Version 1) with the revolving drum sending water to 1 - 1/2 ports at a time.

The OM Squirt comes either Prewired with a 6' grounded cord & plug or Unwired. For Customers outside of North America we now offer this unit with a 230v motor option.

proraptor2

Im running a Panworld 50px-x on my 60 cube for return and love it....

How tall is the tank? I run a single 250 phoenix over my 60 cube and its fine.....Is your tank over 24 inches tall?

Im running a Panworld 50px-x on my 60 cube for return and love it....

How tall is the tank? I run a single 250 phoenix over my 60 cube and its fine.....Is your tank over 24 inches tall?

My tank is 18" x 18" X 24" tall. I think I have enough light! Any advice I can get on these tall cube tanks would be great! Do you have your pump throttled back with a ball valve?

Do you think even at the lowest point in the tank I will have too much light for some LPS that I now have in my NC12

Current occupants,

Frogspawn

GSP (not going in my new tank)

Candy cane

Open brain

Xenia

various zoos

Goniopora (over year old, doing excellent)

Duncan

:D

ReefApprentice
My tank is 18" x 18" X 24" tall. I think I have enough light! Any advice I can get on these tall cube tanks would be great! Do you have your pump throttled back with a ball valve?

Do you think even at the lowest point in the tank I will have too much light for some LPS that I now have in my NC12

Current occupants,

Frogspawn

GSP (not going in my new tank)

Candy cane

Open brain

Xenia

various zoos

Goniopora (over year old, doing excellent)

Duncan

:D

Your setup looks awesome!

As for the LPS, I would slowly introduce them to the tanks lighting by shielding some light (using mesh on top of the tank) so they can get used to it.

proraptor2

The 250watt halide will be more than enough light for your tank.....Id just use that...

My panworld isnt throttled back at all....

On another side note, I have been fooling around with the new logging software for my Reefkeeper2, I am REALLY impressed! As soon as I have this rolling and setup up I will get things hooked into this software.

I will also be hooking up a webcam to the tank and will run a streaming cam of the tank, anyone will have access to the stream anytime (great function of this software)

Anyone have any suggestions on which webcam I should get and how I could hook it up to the tank so it is not in the way but can get a great viewing angle?

I look forward to be able to see what is going on in the tank from work!

Here are some screen shots of the software!

RK_PC5.jpg

Notice the streaming camera function in this screen!

RK_PC4.jpg

RK_PC3.jpg

RK_PC2.jpg

RK_PC.jpg

The 250watt halide will be more than enough light for your tank.....Id just use that...

My panworld isnt throttled back at all....

I may take your advice and just use the 250W halide, I purchased the Orbit as well thinking I would need some actinic supplimentation; however, it seems that I don't really need it...

Do you think if I were to run the extra light that it would be detrimental or would everything adjust, it really does look great with both running!

Very slick. Any pics of the actual controller?

This is the Reefkeeper2 controller that also hooks into a serial port using an RJ-11 connector to the back of the PC, the software is a new release for Digital Aquatics (mfg. of the Reefkeeper2)

IMG_0194.jpg

Picture of the Reefkeeper2 still in box unpacked.

RK2.jpg

Reefkeeper2 faceplate

Your setup looks awesome!

As for the LPS, I would slowly introduce them to the tanks lighting by shielding some light (using mesh on top of the tank) so they can get used to it.

Good idea! I already have some of the screen material for the construction of the plenum, I will use the rest to slowly introduce the blazing light.

ReefApprentice

Ooohh... plenum, I haven't seen a tank with one of these. Please document it thoroughly to help out all those people interested in setting one up. :D

Alex

Ooohh... plenum, I haven't seen a tank with one of these. Please document it thoroughly to help out all those people interested in setting one up. :D

Alex

The plenum is going to be in the sump and not the display, if the Plenum does not do its job it will be easy to remove it. I have studied the plenums and witnessed on local tanks how well they work even after 10 years... I beleive they serve a purpose and will test the theory myself.

Cheers!

That is awesome, how can I set one up? Good luck

http://www.pricewatch.com/webcams/

go there and look at the nicely priced webcams

Thanks for the link! I think I found the camera that will work, everyone will also be able to see the nightlife with the infrared LEDs. The camera could clip onto the top of the cabinet in front of the aquarium at the bottom looking in.

webcamera01.jpg

Description:

1.High Quality 1.3 Mega pixel Digital Camera CMOS sensor

2.Adjustable focus range

3.6-LED infrared LED for night vision

4.Up to 15 frame / sec (VGA)

5.Frame Rate: 320 x 240 up to 30 frame/sec (CIF)

6.Video Format:24-bit RGB

7.3CM-infinity

8.USB 1.1/2.0 compatible

9.System Requirements: WIN98SE/ME/2000/XP or higher

10.Easy Clip for LCD Monitors and Laptop Computers

Archived