Pod Your Reef

connecting multiple tanks and a sump

turk22

All,

I'm wanting to connect a 20L with a 10gal and covert an old acrylic wet/dry into a sump/fuge

The 20L will be on top, with the 10 directly below it on the same stand. The sump will be on the floor behind the 10 and slightly lower.

Not sure how to plumb this beast. I know I would like to have some sort of overflow in both display tanks to surface skim the water. I would like to use the current pump I have if feasable, an Eheinm 1250.

I'm not against drilling the tanks, would it be best to drill bottom or back of the tanks to accomodate an overflow?

I'm sure down the line I'd like to incorporate an swcd in both tanks...

This basically shows all the stuff:

IMG_5315.jpg?t=1183595694

This shows the relative height of the sump to the tanks

IMG_5310.jpg?t=1183595747

This shows the sump detail

IMG_5314.jpg?t=1183595787

Let me know what suggestions you have, also I need to modify that wet/dry to function as sump/fuge with dsb and macro, skimmer etc.

thx,

Turk

I would drill the bottom glass of the top tank, and put in a bulkhead, internal overflow, and durso standpipe. 1" bulkhead will get the job done, or you could go bigger.

The bottom tank, I feel like you would have to drill the back / top glass (because it's barely higher than the sump). You could do an external durso pipe for it, and it should be ok. Then you could just put an elbow with a strainer on the inside, or even do another little internal overflow if you want to go all out.

I'm also thinking the sump is a little small for what it needs to do, but you might be able to squeeze it all in.

Personally, I like to plumb my returns through the rear of the tank, but you might not want to do that because it'll get complicated with that double tank setup. Shouldn't be a problem splitting the return line though, and using just one (strong) pump.

Thx Krib, that helps alot,

are you talking about the split return to send return water from the sump to both tanks at the same time? I was thinking of just returning to the top tank (maybe thru a swcd) and just putting a closed loop swcd on the bottom....if that makes sense?

I was thinking also about drilling the bottom of the top tank, and using a corner overflow with a durso.

I agree that I have to either drill the back or use a conventional hob overflow to feed the sump.

You think that pump I have is strong enough? I'm thinking not, but I just don't know...

turk

Thx Krib, that helps alot,

are you talking about the split return to send return water from the sump to both tanks at the same time? I was thinking of just returning to the top tank (maybe thru a swcd) and just putting a closed loop swcd on the bottom....if that makes sense?

I was thinking also about drilling the bottom of the top tank, and using a corner overflow with a durso.

I agree that I have to either drill the back or use a conventional hob overflow to feed the sump.

You think that pump I have is strong enough? I'm thinking not, but I just don't know...

turk

Aye, I mean a split return. Though it depends on what you want to do. If the bottom tank is meant as a fuge, you could drop water from the top tank like you're talking. You could also do a closed-loop on the bottom, though it seems like just as much work (and hole drilling). But that's a style preference.

That pump is too weak at 300gph. It'll wind up being like 150 after head pressure. I'd get something more in the range of 900-1000GPH, and if need be, just throttle it down some.

You could do hang-on overflows if you want. They work if used correctly... I used em for years. Just hate em, is all ;)

Krib thnx again,

my delay in posting was because in cleaning the 20L and thinking about drilling, I found a hairline crack in the bottom glass. Its really strange, the crack does not seem to go all the way thru the glass (is that even possible??). I cannot feel any thing on the inside of the glass when I run my fingers along it, on the outside the crack can plainly be felt with the finger.

I does hold water and does not leak, but of course I have zero confidence in it. Is there any way to repair the tank? Can I bust out the bottom glass and replace with acrylic? That would make the drilling easier.

I was really hoping to get started on the tank this weekend, and now I'm standing here staring at the tank and wondering if its scrap, and I need to start over with a new tank.

what do you think, am I hosed, can I salvage the tank, can I repair it??

Turk

ReadyReefer

You could try, but i would be too freaked out to put anything in it for a long time, for fear of leakage. IMO your best best would be just to buy a new tank, besides what is $40 compared to all the money that will be sucked into the black hole that is your tank.

yep, great point, I think the DIY route is grea idea, but you don't need to re-invent the wheel....

Archived