Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

250W MH... What Bulb?

sammy113

Hi, I'm going to buy a new fixture for my 40br (36") and I would like to have a Sunpod because it has two 150WMH so the light would distribute nicely, but I don't have the money to afford one of those. I don't want a retro-fit or canopy. So my option is a Odyssea 36" lamp that costs $250. It has a total of 442W. One 250MH(10k stock) and two 96W actinics. I really like to have the actinics so i got some extra blue and watch the corals glow for about an hour before starting the MH and probably another after MH turns off. First thing to do before fire the MH is to change that 10K for a 14K. What you guys think would be the best bulb for me? I'm currently keeping just some zoas, mushrooms, leathers, frogspawn and a clam. Thanks

Any toughs? looks like lots of people hate those odyssea lamps. I saw my friend's 48" with two 250's and four 96W pc's and look awesome. Also like it because its 15" wide and my tank is 18" so the light will spread nice.

I was thinking to hang it so the light covers a little more... I saw Glen's 40BR with just 150W in the middle and the sides are not that dark. Looks good to me. Also the actinics would help a little. What about the MH bulb? Phoenix? Ushio? Current? what ele? SPS lighting? I want the 14K

do you have a magnetic or electronic ballast?

generally the mag. ballasts will slightly overdrive the bulbs. My PFO HQI ballast with a 250w DE phoenix was not as blue as I expected, but was very white and very very very bright. people have reported that phoenix with electronic ballast is perfect....I haven't tried it yet.

I'm about to try 150w DE ushio 20k on electronic ballasts, hopefully i'll like it. if not, i'll go back to phoenix 14k.

do you have a magnetic or electronic ballast?

Well the Odyssea lamp comes with electronic ballasts.

So looks like Phoenix with electronic is the combination. Thanks

Let me know how do you like the 150W Ushio 20K with electronic ballast.

You are buying an Odyssea fixture....Id save some more and buy the sunpod

Yea I know. That would be awesome. Guess I'll have to work a little more and save like $150 more :S Damn, but I know is worth. I love my 24" Sunpod

You are buying an Odyssea fixture....Id save some more and buy the sunpod

Just curious... Why does everyone hates Odyssea so much? is there a powerful reason why not to buy this lamps? I heard of some talking about noisy fans but i'm pretty sure that was with their older versions.

Just curious... Why does everyone hates Odyssea so much? is there a powerful reason why not to buy this lamps? I heard of some talking about noisy fans but i'm pretty sure that was with their older versions.

If you do a little research here on NR or reefcentral.com you will find that the older magnetic ballasts would burst into flames. The odyssea bulbs are crap, the retailers also have no customer service. That said, I love mine. I have a 250W with 2x 24w actinics on a 30 H, and it has been great.

I posted this some time ago as a follow up:

Since I have been asked a number of times about this light, I am making a follow up post.

Alright, here's the deal:

Bottom line: Yes, I am satisfied.

Pros:

1. Price

2. Attractive look

3. Comes with legs and hanging cables

4. The 2007 models now have electronic ballasts

(Not as hot and have not heard of them burning)

5. The newer 150 and 250 MH bulbs are more easily

replaced than those 175?

6. Supplemental Actinics built in.

7. Built in fans

8. Built in moon light

9. Everything has a seperate plug to be set on timers.

Cons:

1. Little to no Warranty (one year on the ballast but

through manufacturer in China...right)

2. Sketchy retailers that sell them

3. I broke the MH on/off switch on day two. (Replaced it

and put the whole thing on a $7 water resistant timer

so I never have to use the switch again)

4. Super cheaply made electronic ballast

5. Fans can be noisy, little tap fixes it.

6. History (The old magnetic ballasts have been known

to catch fire)

In conclusion: with the new electronic ballast, I feel that it has been a great bargain. If....when the ballast finally goes, I will replace it with a really good one and will still have spent less money then on a brand name.

I purchased mine for 169.00 shipped on ebay from Hommby which I think is actually the ebay encarnation of aquatraders. It was the 20" 250 MH + 2x24w PC actinic(really just blue) and two moon lights. You can also get T5s and 150 and 175 MH. I went with 24w PC because that is what my 12 NC DX uses so it keeps it simple.

I also considered that i have a backup 96w power quad that i would use while I repaired anything that might go wrong with the MH. That way i am not crying as I watch my corals die while waiting for a new ballast or what not.

:unsure:One last precaution I have taken is that I have built a small brick fire box and put a small fan blowing on the MH ballast just in case. :unsure:

Hope this helps.

Nice to know Freakshow. Awesome to have the opinion of a Odyssea owner. I was considering a T5HO fixture since i've been reading about T5 and looks like everybody is happy with their lights. I like the chance you have to select the bulbs to install. I'm in love with the TEK lights. I was thinking about the 36" Fixture with 4 tubes. Are they worth? Where can I find great prices in this lights? What could be a nice combination of tubes?

the ushio 20k/electronic ballast looks perfect, in my opinion. it is very blue without being too purple...no need for actinics at all. the intensity is much less than 10k but much better than I expected. We'll see if it has enough PAR long-term to keep the color in my acroporas.

Archived