Why is my tank an invert death trap?

MR.FEESH

Sevral months ago, my glass heater cracked and electricuted everything in my tank, as well as released harmful minerals and elements into the tank.

-I did an 80% water change (I left just enough water to cover the sand), got new live rock, and waited for the tank to cycle again. After the cycle had been complete and all perameters were perfect I added a clean-up-crew. All snails and crabs died within 5 minutes.

-From this point I did another 80% water change and as well as replaced my live rock with the highest quality stuff I could buy. I then waited for the tank to cycle again. Once all levels were good, I put in 3 hermits and on snail. 1 hermit died in two days, and the snail died due to my poor acclimation.

-I did a 20% water change and this time bought 1 snail to properly acclimate which died 45min. into the acclimation process.

This is my present tank- 2 barley alive hermits and I can't even get snails near my tank.

Why is this happeneing????? I have tested for copper, alkalinity, pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, s.g and even temperature; all of which are perfect- yet I can't get any snails to live and the hermits seem like they die in two days or so.

Anyone have any suggestions why this is happening?

The only thing I can think of is the fact that some harmful chemicals were probably released into the tank when the heater cracked- but at this point, I've done so many water changes that if there were any chemicals toxic to inverts, they would have been taken out in the water changes.

I'm drawing a blank.

did you replace the sand ? and 45 minutes is a long acclimation time for snails ... i usually do 15 minutes at the max

I would trace this back to he heater. probably copper. when copper is released into the water it will soak the sand and rocks. over time it will be released back into the water. essentially, the rock and sand becomes useless for inverts and will remain so for a LONG LONG (more time than it's worth to keep) time.

remember that the copper is in the rock and sand. so although your test of the water may not necessarily show any copper... it's still there. and even if it is another chemical from the heater, there are only so many chemicals we can test for. many can leach into the rock/sand just like copper and can probably be treated the same way as copper contamination.

I know you replaced the initial rock, but you didnt replace the sand. so the contaminated sand will have contaminated your new rock. I know it sucks and i know it's expensive, but you'll have to replace BOTH now. there are some people who believe that a tank replacement is necessary as well since copper can leak into the silicone... you may consider that as well.

good luck.

Changes in salt can kill snails very easily. I found this out the hard way. I now measure the perfect amount of salinity when doing ater changes.

probably the copper ... change everything out of the tank and start fresh ... maybe even get a new tank ... silicone can absorb a whole ton of chemicals etc as well

Nuke it. That many consistent deaths with cautious acclimations, even if bad source of stock and a bad ride home were variables, makes me think the sand/water/tank could be tainted. What other equipment is in the tank now? There's also a chance it's something new that you've added since the accident.

you could try some diffrent products for chelating metals from the tank. not sure if this would be very effective if in fact your sand is releasing metal ions over time though. Worth a shot maybe if you dont want to break the tank down or disturb a DSB.

Archived