SaltCritters.com

Stupid Newbie Question.... Chaeto?

Moreno

What is it? What is the purpose of it? I currently have a RSM and I hear the chaeto can lower nitrates or something which I think could help me, so if I put some in my back filter chamber of my RSM, would it help or just be crazy? Please any help will be great :D

Chaetomorpha is a macro algae, so it consumes phosphates and nitrates. These nutrients are then exported when you remove excess growth. It should be grown in a lit chamber or refugium.

Rhythmicfire
Chaetomorpha is a macro algae, so it consumes phosphates and nitrates. These nutrients are then exported when you remove excess growth. It should be grown in a lit chamber or refugium.

Yes, I second what seabass says; chaeto is a macroalgae that aids in nutrient export. Most people keep it in their refugiums or sumps, however (since I have neither) I keep mine in my display tank tied down to a piece of liverock. Still does the same thing as it would do in a refugium, however if you do decide to keep it in your display tank be sure to rinse it out weekly to prevent any detritus build up.

roushinator
Yes, I second what seabass says; chaeto is a macroalgae that aids in nutrient export. Most people keep it in their refugiums or sumps, however (since I have neither) I keep mine in my display tank tied down to a piece of liverock. Still does the same thing as it would do in a refugium, however if you do decide to keep it in your display tank be sure to rinse it out weekly to prevent any detritus build up.

Rinse it with what? Saltwater or will Freash water work?

Rinse it with what? Saltwater or will Freash water work?

I just use the old tank water from my weekly water change to rinse mine.

Archived