Coral Vue Hydros

fewskillz' 20 long of reef outcasts

fewskillz

This is my tank of unwanted reef inhabitants that were too cool to take back to the fish store. Standard AGA 20 long on an AGA stand. AC110 full of LR rubble and also hiding stealth 50w heater. There's also an AC10 powerhead for a little cross flow. There is over 30 lbs of LR and probably 20 lbs of live sand. Tank is lit by a 36" 2x96w compact fluorescent Coralife Aqualight. I moved this livestock from this tank: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=111031

Livestock includes:

a big blue damsel and a purple stripe dottyback who are too mean for the reef tank, but too pretty to give away/trade in. Also a tank raised Clarkii clown who was rescued from 'deathco' because he was hosting a Condy anemone in the store, and my huge Condylactis Gigantea anemone (not exactly reef safe). There are also 2 or 3 striped hermits who were caught trying to eat zoanthids in my old 46 bowfront, they fit right in this island of misfit reef inhabitants.

This tank is cool because everything is very colorful and very active. This blue damsel has the most personality of pretty much any saltwater fish I've ever seen. I have a little plastic "Topless Beach ---->" sign in the tank since this is at my Mom's house and it gives people a good laugh. I guess the damsel is a feminist and doesn't get the joke. It will attack the sign, completely uprooting it from 2" of sand, ramming it at full speed from the other side of the tank, picking it up and moving it to the other end of the tank, and just in-general attacking and crazy behavior. It's probably the most hilarious thing I've ever seen in all my years of fish keeping. I've got a little bit of video of it, I just need to edit out the sound (we're all laughing really loud and making stupid comments, plus you can hear Man vs Wild on the TV in the background). It's good stuff.

On to the only thing people care about: Pictures.

FTS:

IMG_3229.jpg

All the inhabitants in one frame:

IMG_3240.jpg

Clarkii hosting in Condy anemone:

IMG_3234.jpg

For those that don't know why a Clarkii hosting a condy is special...Condylactis anemones don't naturally host any clownfish in the wild. They're a caribbean/atlantic anemone. There aren't any Caribbean/Atlantic clownfish. Plus the Condy's sting tends to be more harsh than it's Pacific, clown-hosting cousins. But I guess a tank raised Clarkii isn't from the Pacific and he doesn't discriminate against a Caribbean anemone. Plus I like him, he's got spunk. It's really cool to watch the clown grab a bite of food and take it down the anemone, then come back for a bite for himself. Gotta pay the rent, I guess.

Aiptasia...hahaha, good idea. There is a peppermint shrimp in there, I forgot to add that. I'm also trying to catch my Coral Banded shrimp out of the 54 to move him into this tank, then this will be pretty maxed out as far as stocking goes. If this tank were at my house, and not my moms, I'd put a HOB excalibur skimmer on there. Right now the skimmer is just collecting dust with the spare aquarium stuff in the attic.

• 1 month later...

UPGRADE TIME! I bought a 37 gallon yesterday. 30x12x22. I'm going to make a little overflow box out of a plastic mailbox and plumb it to a little 10 gallon sump (with a ball of chaeto for nitrate fighting) and a mag3 returning to a Y-ed loc-line return. Same stand, same light, new aquascape. I'll probably get rid of the condy/clarkii and get a GBTA and move my pink skunks from the 54 to this tank. This should be fun, I like building stuff.

lol, you do have a problem ;) were you able to find any extra powerheads? i only have $26 in cash right now so i can't afford a new one locally :huh:

lol, you do have a problem ;) were you able to find any extra powerheads? i only have $26 in cash right now so i can't afford a new one locally :huh:

I think that's how much the aquaclear 30 powerheads are with the online price from Petsmart. They actually move quite a bit of water, I have one by itself in the 10 gallon. I haven't looked through my box yet, but I know I have a powersweep that still works (still sweeps, too!) that you can have for free. I'll see what else I've got. You can have anything I find for free if you can still get me some chaeto from the store for cheap/free.

I'm still not completely decided to end the island of misfit reef-inhabitants, I just want to do something different with my 54 but don't want to get rid of my pink skunk pair. I'm more attached to them than I am the clarkii/condy. We'll see what livestock changes happen after I get the plumbing designed and everything switched over.

I think that's how much the aquaclear 30 powerheads are with the online price from Petsmart. They actually move quite a bit of water, I have one by itself in the 10 gallon. I haven't looked through my box yet, but I know I have a powersweep that still works (still sweeps, too!) that you can have for free. I'll see what else I've got. You can have anything I find for free if you can still get me some chaeto from the store for cheap/free.

I'm still not completely decided to end the island of misfit reef-inhabitants, I just want to do something different with my 54 but don't want to get rid of my pink skunk pair. I'm more attached to them than I am the clarkii/condy. We'll see what livestock changes happen after I get the plumbing designed and everything switched over.

cool, that sounds good. i don't work there anymore i know i should still be able to get you some for next to nothing but most likely free :lol: i have some small pieces scattered around my tank but nothing substantial. i'm going to get my paycheck tomorrow so maybe we could meet then so the chaeto would be fresh. i would grab some too but my xenia should be starting to take off soon with the extra flow :P

alright. I'm not sure when I could meet you tomorrow. I work all day and have school from 6-9 (but I should get out of class pretty early). Give me a call tonight and we'll figure it out.

meh, thats kind of late for me. lol. do you have work/school everyday? what about the weekend? i could always grab some chaeto tomorrow and have it float around my tank until you get can pick up.

I work everyday (8-5 or 6ish), but I only have school Monday and Wednesday. I'll go through my powerheads this evening when I get off. Elizabeth has to work so I'll be lonely. Maybe I'll drive them over to your house and we can run up to the store if your parents will let you ride with me.

meh, the only problem is that petsy plus closes at 9

i can get the chaeto on wednesday and throw it in a bucket with an airstone till you can pick it up though.

Yeah, I meant like after dinner or something tonight. I don't have school until tomorrow. I'll get off work by 6 today and just need some time to eat something and test all of the other powerheads besides the powersweep.

cheers to the outcast tanks i love mine, its got a yellow tailed demsel, a clarkii, and some random plain looking corals... the tank was free, the pupms were used the lights were from my old tank the only thing i bought for it was 5 lbs more LR then i had sitting in a QT tank... setup cost me about $100 including water and salt and its decently fun to watch.. nothing like my super reef but still interesting

Well I guess the purple stripe dottyback was bored and decided to go carpet surfing. He must've hit his head on a rock or something bouncing off the bottom. He didn't make it.

That just gives me more options for new livestock once this thing gets moved into the 37. I finished the overflow box for the 37 and have marked where to cut the holes. Now I just need to practice and actually drill the thing.

• 3 weeks later...

I broke this tank down tonight. The livestock and LR are hanging out in an old 29 gallon on the floor next to the new 37 gallon FW (the 37 took over the 20 long's stand). The FW will be easier to care for across town at Mom's house. I'm bringing them home tomorrow to temporarily move into a 20h until I decide what to do with everything.

I don't know if I'm getting rid of everything or not, I'm planning a FOWLR to go in my 55 so I'm sure some of it will stay.

The Island of Misfit Reef-Inhabitants was fun while it lasted. Anybody in SE NC or NE SC want a condy/clarkii pair?

I broke this tank down tonight. The livestock and LR are hanging out in an old 29 gallon on the floor next to the new 37 gallon FW (the 37 took over the 20 long's stand). The FW will be easier to care for across town at Mom's house. I'm bringing them home tomorrow to temporarily move into a 20h until I decide what to do with everything.

I don't know if I'm getting rid of everything or not, I'm planning a FOWLR to go in my 55 so I'm sure some of it will stay.

The Island of Misfit Reef-Inhabitants was fun while it lasted. Anybody in SE NC or NE SC want a condy/clarkii pair?

you know i would if the timing was better. i like my little clown though. she's so happy to see me whenever i walk into the room :wub:

Archived