Pod Your Reef

fewskillz goes nano

fewskillz

Arkayology
Yeah I have seen mention of this from a few peeps out in California where I think it is Scripps does the same thing. Wish I was by the ocean. Afraid the only filtered water here would be from the Great Lakes. Probably get an Asian Carp in my batch! :o;)

large_Fishing1.jpg

I love living by the ocean in Cali. NSW is awesome.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

15gallon5-28-10.jpg

He lived through the night. I think he's going to do well. He's huge btw, biggest firefish I've ever seen. He's every bit of 3.5".

Tested out my sister's new P&S tonight, Nikon L22. Pretty impressed with it for the price.

DSCN0064.jpg

DSCN0068.jpg

DSCN0070.jpg

DSCN0074.jpg

DSCN0081.jpg

DSCN0069.jpg

DSCN0093.jpg

and a not very good FTS with the reflection of the TV, Elizabeth was watching So You Think You Can Dance.

DSCN0085.jpg

The cyano got pretty bad in this tank for a little while. I let it run its course and other than a little hair algae on the island on the right and a little bryopsis that came in on the last few frags this tank is coming along nicely. I'm happy with it. A good water change and a little scrubbing will polish this thing up nicely.

Lots of new pictures in my 180 thread too, link is in signature.

Thanks! I couldn't believe how pretty, or how big, he was when he arrived last Friday. On sale, too! Gotta love LiveAquaria.

• 3 months later...

Some algae came in on the last batch of frags. I figured my clean up crew would take care of it quickly. No such luck. The algae has been slowly spreading for a few months and despite my manual removal and water changes the spreading hasn't really slowed down, after-all it is a high-nutrients softy tank. So this past weekend I took all of the infected rocks and coral colonies and moved them to the 180. The tangs and dwarf angels love fresh algae. I may or may not move them back once they're clean, it's kinda nice having corals in the big tank again.

• 6 months later...

Tank reset number 17! -_-

My nano is now a JBJ NanoCube 12. Why do they call it a 12 gallon? It holds a whopping 9 gallons...

Its an original NC12 so it just has one 24w lamp. The ballast is new and I replaced the lamp with a PC-R to maximize the stock configuration. I upgraded the pump to a MaxiJet 600 utility pump with a Hydor Flo. The back chambers are empty except for a sponge before the return pump and my heater. There is also a Koralia nano.

Like all of my nanos this will be a low tech, low maintenance, nutrient rich softy reef. All of my corals are still in the 180 from where the tangs were cleaning up the algae, but the prettiest ones will be moved back this weekend.

Current stock:

Black ocellaris clown

orange ocellaris clown

peppermint shrimp

reefcleaners.org CUC

I took some cell phone pictures to hold you monsters over until I get the corals back in here and take some real pictures.

My view from the couch:

NC12couchview.jpg

The front view:

NC12frontview.jpg

Awesome...another NC12. There just aren't enough of them on here (not actively posting) :D I love the KISS idea. It's the direction I'm taking as well. Granted, I have an mp10 on my NC12 :rolleyes: , but I had it already so I'm gonna use it . I'll be following this progression. I luv the softy tanks!!!!

If I had an MP10 I'd be using it as well!

This tank cleared up wonderfully and the clowns seem to be enjoying their new space. I'll have better pictures from a real camera this weekend.

Hmmmm........Wonder where a person would get one of those? :lol:
If I'm spending baller money on powerheads it will be on MP40s or 60s for my 180. A K-nano does just fine for my zoas and mushrooms in this tiny little tank.

So what are your plans for this here nano?
My plans are as many colorful softies as I can get my hands on to have the prettiest, lowest maintenance nano possible in our living room. I have quite a few frags and small colonies that were in a previous iteration of this tank chillin' in the 180. They will be moved back this weekend. I had a few hitchhiking algaes come in on some frags that got out of hand. Its hard to control algae once you've got it in a low maintenance, high nutrient softy tank. I could've scrubbed them by hand and cleaned things up easily, but thats why I have tangs so I cheated and put all of the rocks with algae in the 180 for the herbivores to take care of. One of the algaes was the awesome fluffy pink stuff from a to-remain-nameless-cajun-moderator. The tangs loved that stuff.

My inspiration, but with less purple shrooms: fulltankshot.jpg

Yep, that's it. A tank can be awesome without being micromanaged and chock full of expensive modern technology.

Good flow, good live rock, regular water changes, hardy livestock, reasonable bioload = successful nano reef. No need to get fancier than that.

el fabuloso

Exactly. If I were to do a pico all over again that would be the route I would go. I forgot how nice a tank full of mushrooms can look until I saw this tank:

IMG_0865.jpg

Wow. I've never seen that one. That is awesome. That is basically what I'm going for: Mushrooms, a few rics, some bright zoas, and a small neon GSP island, plus a pair of clowns and a few interesting inverts and a reefcleaners cuc.

No media racks, no magic cure all chemicals, not even any chaeto. Just a return pump, a powerhead, a heater, and a 24 watt PC-R. Someone needs to remind all these noobies that a tank doesn't have to be fancy to be successful.

The mushroom dominated tanks are gorgeous! I'm also focusing on mushrooms. We'll have to compare notes on growth! Those two tanks pictured here are/have been my inspiration so I think we are on the same track as far as what we want out of our NC12s.

Did you notice a big difference between the stock light and the PC-R? I just ordered the PC-R bulbs today so I'm looking forward to seeing the difference. I hope I like it.

Did you notice a big difference between the stock light and the PC-R? I just ordered the PC-R bulbs today so I'm looking forward to seeing the difference. I hope I like it.
Not a ton of difference, but I only have 1 lamp. The thing with lights like that is the intensity can increase without there being much visible change in "brightness". With you having twice the light you should see a more visible difference.

A cheap metal halide doesn't look any less bright than a quality metal halide, but the differences are there in the quality of the light. That's what the PC-R does compared to a regular PC.

el fabuloso

I saw some pretty mushrooms at my LFS but they wanted $40 for it. I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on mushrooms. I just can't!

I saw some pretty mushrooms at my LFS but they wanted $40 for it. I just can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on mushrooms. I just can't!

Awe Fab...you should have done it! If they were pretty or unusual I would have totally gone for it. What color were they? You could frag it and sell to me to off-set the cost :D

el fabuloso

They were bright pink and pretty but they were mushrooms! Granted it was an entire rock covered with them but they're still mushrooms! :P

Archived