Pod Your Reef

fewskillz goes nano

fewskillz

This tank is now Bare Bottom. I need more flow, I'm probably going to steal the AC110 off the 20 long since it's not being used as a fuge anyways. I might up the powerhead size, too. We'll see how the 110 does. Pictures tomorrow when the corals aren't ####ed off from being in a cooler for an hour.

I also moved my big ricordea rock from the 54 to this tank. I didn't like their color under the MH, so we'll try them back under PC.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

okay...pictures:

the goby that went carpet surfing:

IMG_3482.jpg

...and the nano without sand:

IMG_3572.jpg

top down:

IMG_3563.jpg

Please excuse the soap dish refugium. I'm growing out the chaeto for the fuge of the 54 corner tank (which doesn't have a light yet), and also using it to temporarily soak up nitrates until I can decide on a skimmer for this tank. Or what to even do with this tank in general. The BB look has grown on me. I think it would look better with a sprinkling of sand, but it should be really easy to keep clean with my weekly water change. All the crud that is on the bottom now is mostly sand from putting the rocks back in the tank without really trying to rinse them off.

Also notice the Damsel in the FTS. I'd never seen one with the yellow dorsal fin before, so for $3 bucks he was hard to pass up. If he gets too rowdy or if I break this tank down, he can always go in the outcasts tank.

so, what'dya think?

okay...more pictures!

I moved my Occelaris clown from the 54 corner into this tank. Clowns are much more enjoyable in smaller tanks, you notice their personalities more.

All of these pictures were taken while laying in bed.

FTS:

IMG_3579.jpg

better shot of the damsel:

IMG_3583.jpg

skunk cleaner, he really wants to get his paws on that clownfish:

IMG_3590.jpg

everybody:

IMG_3605.jpg

These are all the same frags from the pictures on the first page.

RDE's:

IMG_3606.jpg

reds:

IMG_3608.jpg

browns with yellow centers:

IMG_3611.jpg

umbrella mushroom:

IMG_3613.jpg

misc. mushroom and pink palys:

IMG_3617.jpg

The damsel is afraid of my ocellaris. She is over a year old now, very female and very pushy. The damsel is young and only been in the tank about a week, not even long enough to be territorial.

nice little setup you have going here, I really like your red zoas. I am looking into getting a cleaner shrimp right now as well...I think I am buying a fire shrimp for myself for my b-day next month.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Travis!

I've added a bunch of ricordeas and some gorgonias from sealifeflorida. Some blue zoas also. I also added a tiger pistol and a red-banded hi-fin goby. I put a little sand back in the tank for the goby/shrimp pair.

I'll take some new pictures soon once everything is set in place, I've been letting all the new stuff grow on the sand bed until I decide what to do with it.

Thanks Travis!

I've added a bunch of ricordeas and some gorgonias from sealifeflorida. Some blue zoas also. I also added a tiger pistol and a red-banded hi-fin goby. I put a little sand back in the tank for the goby/shrimp pair.

I'll take some new pictures soon once everything is set in place, I've been letting all the new stuff grow on the sand bed until I decide what to do with it.

cool. how are things over on your end(we haven't talked in awhile)? i'm going to have to update my thread soon to accomodate for some growth and new addition(i scored a nice little flower anemone for $12 at Pets Plus) they've really turned things around again and are getting some cool stuff. right now, they have 3 percs if you want to start breeding. i'm considering giving my lonely girl a little mate. she is starting to get awefully close to the damsel though :huh: anyway, just thought I'd let you know. unfortunately, I still don't have too much to frag since I'm going for some big colonies at this point. both the xenia and the hydnophora have at least doubled in size so it won't be long if you wanted either of those.

i don't know if you saw it or not but i sent you a pm regarding the free(including any taxes and shipping its completely free) tds meters on buy.com. with the amount of tanks you have i figured it wouldn't be long before you got an ro unit anyway so this would give you something to test it with.

-travis

Yeah, standard aga 10 gallon. Single 40w 50/50 PC fixture, with a 1 watt LED moonlight (Current Satellite), a Koralia Nano and AquaClear 30 powerheads. Soon to be 2 Koralia Nanos. Then a 50w Stealth Heater. That's it. Live Rock, a soap dish of chaeto, and water movement.

This is your classic bare bones, nothing fancy, softy nano-reef. I love it.

Everything is doing so great I'm going to move it into a 20 long with the exact same husbandry philosophy, just a little more light and a little more flow to make up for the added space. I drew up the plans for the stand tonight, I'll buy the wood this weekend when I get home from visiting my grandmother's house for thanksgiving. It should be awesome.

• 1 year later...

Actually this tank was taken down this past weekend. It was doing pretty well. Some of the frags grew out nicely, others are still just frags. This 10 was combined with travisurfer's 10 into a new 20 high. He's getting ready to go away for college so I'll be taking care of his stuff for a few years.

The tank is probably 2/3s Travis' corals, 1/3 mine, Travis' cleaner shrimp, my clown pair, my yasha goby & candy pistol shrimp. It's all softies for now, mostly mushrooms and ricordeas. Right now there is a single 65w PC lamp over it, but in a few weeks will be switched to a 70w viper MH. After that I will add a few higher light frags, starting with an orange monti from the 54 corner. I want one more fish, something that swims alot and preferably has some blue on it. I'll decide in a few weeks once the tank is settled in. The tank will get re-scaped tomorrow and I will post pictures on Thursday once it's settled from the rearranging. Thanks for asking, I was surprised to see this thread bumped.

The batteries were dead in the good camera, so I had to use the point and shoot, but you get the idea.

new 20 high FTS:

IMG_0232.jpg

the left half:

IMG_0239.jpg

the right half wasn't cooperating with the P&S.

Yasha Haze!!:

IMG_0243.jpg

Travisurfer's Skunk Cleaner:

IMG_0250.jpg

Yasha with his buddy, the pistol shrimp:

IMG_0254.jpg

Tank is doing well, everyone seems settled in. The corals have all recovered from the moves. There is still alot of dust on the surface, I may run an Aqua Clear HOB to try to pull some particles out of the water, still undecided.

So this is yet another upgrade for me. I've done well, I almost made it a year without upgrading anything. The 10 gallon was a year and half, so that's pretty good. This one should last for awhile, too.

Coolies, I like that goby/shrimp pair. Tank looks good, but you'll want to upgrade like I did. :P

Thanks! I hope not, I want this tank to stay small. I have my big tank. I've had a 40b, thats what the 125's previous incarnation was.

I do still have the 40 though, it'll probably get setup once I'm in a bigger house. I'm thinking dwarf lion. Once evil posts his damn LED pendant I'll probably setup a pico too. I really do have a reefing problem.

Archived