ReefCleaners.org

DIY Lighting upgrades for Eclipse 12

sdunkin

Is there any way to upgrade the lighting of my Eclipse 12 without ordering a retrofit kit? I would like to keep some easy corals in it, like zoas and mushrooms, but I know that it needs a lot more lighting than what it has now to support them. I don't know if it really matters, but it is a really old school eclipse system (like from when they first came out).

Nishant3789

the 32 watt csl retrofit kit was specifically designed for the eclipse system 12. it will be enough light for your needs

But is there any way that I can upgrade the lighting without getting a retrofit kit? I am just afraid that since my system is so old that some of the retrofit kits will not work in it, and I don't really want to throw away $150 on something that will not work on my tank.

• 3 weeks later...
But is there any way that I can upgrade the lighting without getting a retrofit kit? I am just afraid that since my system is so old that some of the retrofit kits will not work in it, and I don't really want to throw away $150 on something that will not work on my tank.

If you want to keep corals you need to upgrade the Eclipse lighting. 13 watts is not enough for anything. I upgraded my 12 with a 96W powerquad that I bought from hellolights.com It fit perfect. You will need to add a fan in the back to control heat. If you are handy, it's easy, if not look back on some other forums and i have pictures up of how I mounted everything. I recently added another 32W actinic light. The hood still looks stock.

Archived