ReefCleaners.org

My BioCube 29 Set Up

roushinator

While since my last update. Everything is doing great. Execpt for my fire fish that disappeared one night. RBTA is doing awesome he keeps growing. I had to move everything away from that side of the tank because he got so big. He is at least 10"in diameter. :o Water has been real stable. Everything looks happy.

_DSC0353.jpg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Check the back chamber, on the bottom of the middle one, and the one where the pump is- that's where mine was hiding for weeks! What do you call that other fish? I bought one yesterday, and haven't a clue about it :lol:

Check the back chamber, on the bottom of the middle one, and the one where the pump is- that's where mine was hiding for weeks! What do you call that other fish? I bought one yesterday, and haven't a clue about it :lol:

Yeah i did. Not there. He was doing great from what i could see. I have another goby that i put in there but he likes to live in the back behind the live rock where i never see him. I did see him the other night but he quickly fled to safety after he saw me. :huh:

I just got a my Bio Cube 29 this past Friday (June 29). I have set it up and have begun the cycling process.

Two days old.....

_DSC0185.jpg

_DSC0190.jpg

5 days old... (July 3) Up to 17lbs of live rock. Took me a while to figure out a decent aquascape. It is still a work in progress and i plan to add about 15-20 more pounds.

_DSC0194.jpg

_DSC0192.jpg

I plan to cycle for 4-5 more weeks while getting the LR set up. During that time i will upgrade to the 144w lights and a skimmer. Any comments or suggestions?

Great looking is that the red sea 29 bio cube ? How was the circulation on it as was without anything added?

thanks

Great looking is that the red sea 29 bio cube ? How was the circulation on it as was without anything added?

thanks

No that is the Oceanic Bio Cube 29. Stock flow was okay. So i added a Koralia 1. In my other BC29 (i dont have pics yet) I have a Koralia 2 and it works great as well.

No that is the Oceanic Bio Cube 29. Stock flow was okay. So i added a Koralia 1. In my other BC29 (i dont have pics yet) I have a Koralia 2 and it works great as well.

Okay thank you

Looking good man....that RBTA is freaking awesome and HUGE. Looks like that thing could swallow those teeny clowns whole :)

Everything is looking great. Sorry to hear about the firefish. How long has it been since you've seen him/her? Mine hid under the sand for about a day one time. They are sneaky sneaky for sure.

Adam

Adam,

Yeah that RBTA is giagantic and keeps getting bigger. i was hoping he would split or something. The fire fish has been gone for about 2 weeks. I really do not know what happened to him. No body, No spike in readings, Not in the rear chambers. :wacko: I am going to say Alien abduction. :D

Would the RBTA eat the firefish given the opportunity?

Maybe that is why he got so big. :D He reminds me of the Little Shop Of Horrors Plant.

FEED ME..........

FEED ME..........

He keeps growing and growing. I had to move all my corals to the other side of the tank. He is gigantic. How big do these guys get?

_DSC0377.jpg

_DSC0381.jpg

And here is my new friend....

_DSC0379.jpg

From Bob Fenner at wetwebmedia.com

Size matters... all wild-collected BTAs are "about full/adult size"... There are two "ecotypes" of specimens... one deeper and solitary, the other shallower water and more communal. The former are often greenish to greenish-brown, and can grow much larger... up to 50 cm. (20 inches across), whereas shallow water ecotype individuals tend to be warmer colored, browns to orange to pink and red, and smaller (to 30 cm., 12 in.) in diameter. The larger of these two tends to be less aquarium hardy and reproduces mainly sexually, whereas the shallower water ones are easier and generally reproduce through asexual fission. All wild-collected (as opposed to the often-smaller captive clone produced which can indeed be small/er) ones are a hand size or so across... Avoid too-small specimens, as these can fall irreversibly into poor health easily. Often folks consider that theirs is "really growing", not realizing that it is simply the expansion with water that accounts for grander appearance. Do NOT buy small (under 3" if wild-collected) specimens is my point here. Something has gone wrong with these... if new, likely tearing... If they've been on hand days to weeks or more, perhaps beating by host fishes or poor conditions are at play. This being stated, akin to the "Goldilocks and Three Bear" story, too-large specimens can be trouble as well... shipping poorly, getting torn more easily, not adapting well to captive conditions. I would avoid specimens more than hand-size... let's say six inches in diameter. All of this is easily negligible given the availability of captive-produced stock. Most all of these animals move, adapt and live well in captive settings.

I can't help but notice how deep the color of the nem was in the beginning

_DSC0250.jpg

but in the later pics it does defintely seem larger but it has become almost translucent. Is this just the pics or does it seem to be losing color?

Well to me his color looks to be the same as when i got him. Now when he spreadsout over half the tank his main body does appear to be clear but the tenticals do keep their color nicely. As far a thriving or just surviving i would say he he is thriving with as show by his growth rate. But i am no expert. I do have the 144w of light which is more than he was under at the pet store. I may eventually go with a MH setup. I will see how he does.

That things is a beast for sure....looks great in my opinion though. Just make sure that it doesn't come in contact with that nice frag of acans you have there.

You need to grab a video of that thing and post it up here, would love to see what it looks like moving in the flow.

That things is a beast for sure....looks great in my opinion though. Just make sure that it doesn't come in contact with that nice frag of acans you have there.

You need to grab a video of that thing and post it up here, would love to see what it looks like moving in the flow.

Wow what a diffrence in size. your tank looks great

• 1 month later...

I have been a little busy lately but here is my Update. I upgraded to a RIO 6HF and added 6 more pounds of live Rock. Got a few more Zoas and a 6 Line. Tank seems to be doing great. The RBTA keeps growing.

_DSC0559.jpg

_DSC0560.jpg

_DSC0561.jpg

_DSC0562.jpg

_DSC0563.jpg

_DSC0565.jpg

_DSC0570.jpg

Archived