Coral Vue Hydros

My BioCube 29 Set Up

roushinator

roushinator

I just got a my Bio Cube 29 this past Friday (June 29). I have set it up and have begun the cycling process.

Two days old.....

_DSC0185.jpg

_DSC0190.jpg

5 days old... (July 3) Up to 17lbs of live rock. Took me a while to figure out a decent aquascape. It is still a work in progress and i plan to add about 15-20 more pounds.

_DSC0194.jpg

_DSC0192.jpg

I plan to cycle for 4-5 more weeks while getting the LR set up. During that time i will upgrade to the 144w lights and a skimmer. Any comments or suggestions?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lookin of to a good start roushinator.. im about 6 weeks in on my BC ,and still going slow slow slow...

roushinator

About a week now.... Up to 26 lbs of LR. LPS say they would go up to 50lbs... I think i will go up to 35-40. Got a small CUC and they are going a great job except for 2 snails that are dumb and keep falling on their backs.

_DSC0220.jpg

Brian Crook

I would agree with diggman as well, I'd say 26 - 30 would be a sufficient amount of live rock in the display area. You can always add more live rock rubble into the back chambers as well.

Your tank is looking good so far, that scape allows for a lot of coral placement which is always great

roushinator

2 week Update

So i still have 26lbs LR. Installed a Korilia 1 and a Saphire BC29R skimmer. Water is looking great. Might add 5 lbs mre rock on the right side of the tank. Nanotuners 4.36 light upgrade is on it's way. Will install it next week. Removed custom Chaeto holder and went with the soap dishes from Target.

_DSC0228.jpg

Looking forward to stocking it.

Hey man....just stumbled on your thread. Tank looks great and the scaping is great as well. I like the big cave in the middle and how tall it is in the back.

So I'm assuming that is the Koralia 1 on the right hand side of the glass? How are you liking the flow thus far?

Adam

roushinator
Hey man....just stumbled on your thread. Tank looks great and the scaping is great as well. I like the big cave in the middle and how tall it is in the back.

So I'm assuming that is the Koralia 1 on the right hand side of the glass? How are you liking the flow thus far?

Adam

Thanks. There is actually a few caves in addition to the larger one for creatures to hide in. At the tallest point it is about 3-4 inches from the top.

I am happy with the Korilia 1 so far. It seems to help out a bunch. I do have a Y connector and some locline in order to modify my stock output flow.

Hey Ryan,

I really like the new corals you got. The blue shrooms look really cool and I'm sure they are awesome looking under the actinics.

Now that you have the upgrade....look forward to seeing the result :)

roushinator

Finished my 4.36 upgrade this morning. I am happy with the lights so far. Everything looks great with them. The Saphire BC29R is performing really well. I am happy with it as well. Here are spme new pics.

_DSC0249-1.jpg

I used to have a cave in the center of my aquascape but someone thought it would be a good home.

_DSC0244.jpg

roushinator
nice man. looks really good.. im curious to see how the RBTA does in there..

Me too. He seems happy and has moved to several places. He looks like he is going to split soon. He is gigantic. So hopefully i will have 2 soon (2 for the price of one) :) BTW i got another BC29 i will start another thread on that soon.

Love the tank, it is looking great. I have almost finished my HQI upgrade for my BC29 and will hopefuly have it up and running soon.

I have a question. I am in the process of looking at the Koralia pumps. In the BC29, are you happy with the Koralia 1? I am debating between theKoralia 1 and the Koralia 2.

roushinator
Love the tank, it is looking great. I have almost finished my HQI upgrade for my BC29 and will hopefuly have it up and running soon.

I have a question. I am in the process of looking at the Koralia pumps. In the BC29, are you happy with the Koralia 1? I am debating between theKoralia 1 and the Koralia 2.

Yes i am happy with the korilia 1. I am however going to get a "y" connector and some locline to split up my stock flow.

Awesome....glad to see the lighting upgrade turned out great for ya. Everything looks nice and happy in there and the colors are looking really good.

Keep up great work...

roushinator

Color is coming out real nice on my LR. Everyone seem happy in the tank. I bought some small Frags from Pookstreet. They look great. I also got a new guy to sift up the sand for me. I am done for a while now. i just want them to grow now.

_DSC0250.jpg

_DSC0255.jpg

Tanks looking awesome man.....colors are definitely coming out in the live rock. So did the anemone move to the left on it's own or with a little coxing :)

Do you have any close ups of the frags you got from Pookstreet? He has some killer corals so I'm sure it's good stuff. Kinda looks like I can see an acan there on the left but not sure.

The new fish is awesome as well....I actually thought about getting one of those but I went with the purple firefish instead.

Keep it up man and like you said, time to sit back and enjoy the tank while things grow. If you're like me, my purchases for my tank comes and goes.

roushinator
Tanks looking awesome man.....colors are definitely coming out in the live rock. So did the anemone move to the left on it's own or with a little coxing :)

Do you have any close ups of the frags you got from Pookstreet? He has some killer corals so I'm sure it's good stuff. Kinda looks like I can see an acan there on the left but not sure.

The new fish is awesome as well....I actually thought about getting one of those but I went with the purple firefish instead.

Keep it up man and like you said, time to sit back and enjoy the tank while things grow. If you're like me, my purchases for my tank comes and goes.

I will try and get better pics of the new frags. The RBTA moves on his own. Today he is in the back behind the LR. I hope he moves somewhere else where it will be easier to feed him.

roushinator
yikes!!better hope he doesnt killl all your corals with all that movin around..

He seems to like his new spot. He is gigantic. Feeding is not that hard where he is now. Here is the new Picture from today.

_DSC0261.jpg

Your tank looks great - I really dig the rock work.

You may have jumped the gun on getting the RBTA - I did the same thing - I think I got mine when my tank was about 2 months old. At least you did upgrade your lighting. Most say that you should wait and let your tank mature for at least 6 months. That being said you are going to want to keep a close eye on your peramiters and keep it as stable as possible.

Mine usually moved if something wasn't right. Once he settled into a spot he stayed there for months with out moving. It would always tuck in under the rocks at night when the lighting went out and come out the same place every time. Once I got comfortable with it's routine I started to fill in the area around it with corals and sure enough it suddenly decided to come up the other side the rock and stung the beejesus out of whatever it could reach.

If you do the loc line mod to your flow expect that it may up and move again if it's not happy with the change.

As far as feeding I had a clarki clown that hosted my RBTA - watching the symbiotic relationship between the two was simply amazing. I would feed my RBTA krill on occassion and I used one of those clear plastic skewer rods to do it. Then one day the clarki ripped the krill from the skewer and ran it straight to the RBTA. He even shared his pellets with the Anem. From then on I'd just open the lid and toss the krill in and the clarki did the rest. Even if you are not a big fan of clowns - having one that hosts your Anem is awesome.

It's an awesome animal - tempermental to change but awesome to watch. Enjoy it.

Edit: Just saw you already added the loc line - he should be fine where he is then. Unless something else changes.

Tank looks great....looks like things are coming along nicely with lots of green coralline that should be turning purple down the road. The locline mod looks great and I like the way you have the nozzle outputs pointing as well. I think once I get the koralia for my tank tomorrow or Friday I might change the flow a little bit.

How are all of the corals doing? They look great in the pics but just didn't know if you've seen any new growth or anything...probably too early to tell but they all look awesome.

Are you running a skimmer? Couldn't remember. Just noticed that it looks like you have some "scum" on the surface of the water and may need to point one of the outputs more toward to surface for some agitation. Just a thought though.

Great job.

Adam

Archived