Some questions

The Ultimate DanK

The Ultimate DanK

Home Depot sells an acrylic material called crystalite. In the description of the product it says that it can be used for aquarium tops, so I would imagine it is aquarium safe. I am wanting to turn a 10g glass aquarium into a sump using acrylic baffles. I also would like to make an overflow box using acrylic like the one at melevsreef.com. Next to the sheet acrylic at Home Depot, they have a caulk that is 100% silicone. Is there a particular brand of caulk that is aquarium safe?

Anything that's 100% Silicone will work. Make sure there are no additives. The bathroom stuff has an anti-mildew agent.

coolwaters

use silicone I its been testing so why risk it?

i would use lexan acrylic buts its so expensive...

btw how r u going to cut it? all every home depot iv been too dont cut that kind of thing for you....dam lazy people...

use silicone I its been testing so why risk it?

i would use lexan acrylic buts its so expensive...

btw how r u going to cut it? all every home depot iv been too dont cut that kind of thing for you....dam lazy people...

I think it has to do with regular saws melting the acrylic as it heats up. That's why I had to get my false wall laser-cut. A lot nicer. :)

coolwaters

where did u get it laser-cut? and how much did it cost?

the only place that i know that u can get it laser-cut is Tap plastics and im scared to ask them how much it is...

acrylic is great to work with. and u can do just about anything with it.

steelerguy

I think the HD stuff is extruded not cell cast. It would be fine for baffles and an overflow. Silicon does not bond well to acrylic but would probably be enough to hold baffles in place in a glass aquarium. I would not build and overflow with it though, I would get some acrylic bonding solvent for that (like Weld On #4).

As far as cutting, you can do it on a table saw, most places do that. You will just want to sand the edges down a bit to smooth the saw cuts out. Does not need to be perfect as long as the cuts are straight because the solvent will melt the acrylic some. If it were for a display tank, you would want to have the edges polished...then again you would also be using cell cast not extruded.

Archived