Is this chaeto?

captianchunk

captianchunk

I just setup a 24g aquapod that I baught from a guy. He had it setup for about a year already.

I found this grean crunchy stuff in the tank. Is it Chaeto? post-12770-1183489934_thumb.jpg

If so, can i just keep it in the tank under the same lighiing.

Thanks!

I would chew on it to find out, it's good to eat!

Well after looking at the picture it is NOT chaeto. That is bubble algae from what I see. Pick it out!!!!! no good!!!! I had the same stuff on a rock, it wasn't that big but thats what it is.

captianchunk
I would chew on it to find out, it's good to eat!

Well after looking at the picture it is NOT chaeto. That is bubble algae from what I see. Pick it out!!!!! no good!!!! I had the same stuff on a rock, it wasn't that big but thats what it is.

Dorn!! I was hoping it was going to be chaeto. Thanks for the the info though.

If i did get chaeto Could i keep it in the tank untill i can get a in-tank fuge?

Dorn!! I was hoping it was going to be chaeto. Thanks for the the info though.

If i did get chaeto Could i keep it in the tank untill i can get a in-tank fuge?

Hey no problem! Yes you can keep Cheato in an in-tank fuge, i don't personally keep cheato because i don't have a sump or fuge area on my Eclipse 12. I would like to keep it in a chamber of my filter, but It doesn't have a light inside. From what I read, you can keep it in the tank, but I don't like the asthetics of it. It would be best kept in a chamber behind the tank with a small light on it.

Watch for more bubble algae! Pick it off when you see it, try not to break it because some people believe that it releases spores and it will spread. My opinion....... it really doesn't matter.

Good luck, that was a lot of algae

That is not bubble algae, bubble is just what it is "bubbles" of algae. That is some other form of macro but not chaeto. I would take it out to be safe.

That is not bubble algae, bubble is just what it is "bubbles" of algae. That is some other form of macro but not chaeto. I would take it out to be safe.

I had the same stuff on a rock. From what I researched it is bubble algae. There are three different kinds of it.

My Bubble algae

Types of Bubble Algae

definately agree, its grape caulerpa. I had some in my fuge and it grew like crazy. It never got into my main tank but I took it out because of all of the horror stories that I have heard.

• 2 weeks later...

It's some kind of bubble algae, like Valonia. It's not Caulerpa. Personally, I like bubble algae because it's cute, not too invasive unless you have way too much dissolved organics (phosphate, nitrate), and it's so easy to control (ime, but I have nimble hands). For the av-er-age bear I'd say to just remove it.

Archived