SaltCritters.com

Light Timers

paytonv

I have a Coralife Aqualife digital powercenter and after 2 months...it crapped out (as well as my coralife thermometer). Because of it, my tank crashed and I need to get a reliable timer for my nano. I do have the Sunpod 150 w HQI. I was wondering if anyone has any advice for a good light timer. Thanks in advance

I've used the Coralife timer for about a year now on my 55 with no problems. I am currently using the Timex heavy duty timers from Home Depot, etc. on my BC 29 and have never experienced any problems. Although some of them don't hold the exact time all that well after a couple of months, they work perfect for me. At $8 a pop, not too bad either.

if you have the $$$, invest in a controller. i use a reefkeeper 2 and am quite happy with it. in addition to being a timer, you can set it to turn off at a certain temperature. it's a safety in case your fan/chiller can't handle the heat. another option would be the aquacontroller jr.

I am starting a new tank and thought about buying one of the coralife timers but most people I hear from say it died on them after a short time. It looks like a nice idea and it would save space but it seems they are poorly made.

I currently use regular "heavy duty" grounded timers I picked up at my local Ace and one from Home depot. I have them pluged into a orange three way grounded splitter then that into the power strip to save space. This has worked for me for a few years, one of the timers died on me but its was almost two years old.

I've used the Coralife timer for about a year now on my 55 with no problems. I am currently using the Timex heavy duty timers from Home Depot, etc. on my BC 29 and have never experienced any problems. Although some of them don't hold the exact time all that well after a couple of months, they work perfect for me. At $8 a pop, not too bad either.

I too use the heavy duty Timex ones with no problem. :)

I can't convince myself to spend $30 or more on a timer. $8 is just fine.

I got 2 for $5 at biglots, been running them for 5 months now, all is good. yeah they are really cheap.

I got 2 for $5 at biglots, been running them for 5 months now, all is good. yeah they are really cheap.

+1 I have 2 of those running for 8 months now, no problems.

Also have a couple of cheapos from Walmart that have been working for several years, they lose about 15 minutes a month.

glennr1978

I run 3 or 4 of the little cheap timers from home depot. I have the coralife piece o' crap too. What's with that thing? It sucks that the outlets that can be switched on and off can't be on at the same time.

Thank God I saved the receipt and traded my Coralife digital for the analog. I will give this one a try and see if this one works better. Timers that don't suck...the saga continues.

Archived