ReefCleaners.org

Brittle or serpent star? Also Zoa or something else?

Ronin3310

modularduck

brittles can get big. i would say serpent unless you have bigger tank. also pic is a nem but i don't remeber the name of it.

Really an anemone!!!! WOW i got an anemone for a hitch hiker SWEET!!!

Thanks for the help

Now i guess is there anybody who could ID the tye of anemone this is??????

I will post a pic of the star when i get off of work.

Majano anemone, same genus (Anemonia) as Aiptasia, a demonic pest that will reproduce in extraordinary numbers, walks around stinging everything in its path. I'd recommend nuking them.

Aiptasia is actually in the genus Aiptasia... :)

And the two are actually in different families, as well. Aiptasia and Bartholomea and another genus are in the Aiptasiidae. Anemonia are in the Actiniidae, which is also the family of bubble-tips, Condylactis, Macrodactyla, and many more familiar nems.

[The Reef Aquarium, Vol. II, Sprung & Delbeek]

--Diane

Yeah its some kind of little anemone. I wouldnt kill it. Just remove it(very carefully with a credit card or something) and put it on a little piece of rock and isolate it on the sandbed. Cool find!

MOJANO!!!! Nuke it!!! Kill, maim, destroy!!!! AAAAAAGH!!!

Not a good thing. Don't be happy with it. Cover it with Kalk, Use Joe's Juice, Use an atom bomb! Do it quick before it reproduces and spreads. Also check all over all your other rock. If you have one, you probably have a lot more.

dsoz

That's what I get for trusting Ron Shimek and his books. :rolleyes:

Flo, I know you're not a Shimek fan, but I have to say I really like the only book of his that I have, Marine Invertebrates. And it only has Aips; no majanos, and no family info either, so in this book I don't see any errors regarding these nems.

I have to say that I still generally appreciate his POV when it comes to inverts and respect his experience. Luckily I've had next to no knowledge of the personality quirks and possibly egotistical hubris that has recently been brought up about some of the traditional "experts." The only quarrel I've had with Shimek lately is that he's made some of his articles, which used to be freely available online, now available by subscription only! But then, I guess if you're trying to make/supplement a living writing for the reef crowd, you have to do what you can...

Anyway, I'm glad your post made me look up the taxonomy because, though I was pretty sure about the generic status of aips vs. majanos, I had not paid attention to the families they're in. I find it very interesting that Anemonia are in the Actiniidae. I wonder if it isn't about time for someone to come out with a guide to various species of these guys, so we can stop calling all of them just "majanos?" From the various experiences people have with them, I wonder if there aren't some that are real terrors, and others that are not much more difficult than other members of the family?

At any rate, there's certainly more ocean biology to go around than any one person can ever get a handle on, and that's a big part of the fun of this hobby. Even beginning reefers have the possibility of acquiring/experiencing something that hasn't yet been described. The more experienced reefers, such as yourself, I'm sure could write their own books!

--Diane

Archived