ReefCleaners.org

Odd Jawfish behavior...

chrisdamage

chrisdamage

I just bought a pearly jawfish(or, yellow-headed jawfish) and instead of immediately burrowing into the sand like most people say they do, he sort of just scrambled into the rocks and stayed put, not even moving. Is this considered normal or should I be concerned for him? Thanks

emerald chondro

well mine went stright down but i wouldnt be concerned yet..id just wait and if he doesn't burrow in a couple days I'd be scared

chrisdamage

hhhmmmm... I hope he doesn't decide to live in the LR, that is n ot after all why I decided to buy him haha

patrickross

My first jawfish went straight down, into a corner and sat there for a few days. After that, he dug his little hole, decided it was unfit, moved to another area, etc, until he finally settled. I had him for a long time before he decided to jump out of the one spot my tank was not covered. I really couldn't believe he somehow made it straight through this little hole.

So, I would cover my tank completely at night, the first few weeks if I were you.

My second jawfish jumped the night I got him, something I didn;t prepare for because I had a tall tank and didn't think it would happen.

But don't worry, he'll start digging when he's good and ready.

chrisdamage

I have a BC14 so I'm not worried about him jumping, just him burrowing! haha

also, as a side note... would a six-line wrasse be considered a suitable tankmate for a pearly jawfish and a purple firefish? I just figured he would liven up the tank a bit

Archived