ReefCleaners.org

2nd Skunk Shrimp Died Today...

chrisdamage

chrisdamage

so, the second cleaner shrimp I've tried to keep has died this morning shortly after I brought him home and acclimated him... my params were as follows:

Nitrate: 5ppm

Nitrites: 0 ppm

Alkalinity: normal

ph: 8.1

salinity: 1.024

I know that these guys can sometimes die if your salinity is below 1.022 but mine was fine... I acclimated him for about an hour and a half using a slow drip acclimation... this is the second one that has done this on me :-(

I have a blood shrimp in a seperate tank that I acclimated the same way and he is doing fine.

my LFS told me that they will give me anoter one for free tomorrow so any help or suggestions? Am I doing anything wrong?

I just float the bag and pour half a cup of water in every 3 mins for 20ish mins. never had a problem that way, some LFS I've seen them just pick them out of the bag and toss it in the tank immediately. If the fire shimp made it and not the cleaner perhaps the cleaner was on his way out in the first place. You should be concerned with the water quality of the LFS tanks. Try looking up from the inside of the tank to the surface water. If you can see what looks like a mess of sludge at the top it's usually a bad sign. Give it another try if he dies like the last one you might want to test your tank for copper, it's an expensive test kit so maybe someone in your local reef club would help you do a quick one time test to see what's up. it's late for me so that last paragraph most likely didn't make any since good night.

chrisdamage

temp. is fine, alkalinity is fine... I havn't tried another shrimp yet but I probably will in the next couple of weeks... I started this thread on the 2nd and I'm just now getting answers haha

chrisdamage

eh, I'm at work right now... but my alkalinity usually hangs around 275ppm

temperature is about 81 degrees at its peak and usually around 79 degrees when the lights are off at night

Archived