New Cube in the making

AquaticIllusions

AquaticIllusions

Ok so I'm planning my next tank it will be a cube so far I'm thinking something along the lines of a 20X20X24 or a 24X24X24 I will be building the stand and canopy and will be using most of the equipment from my previous tank.

Here is the equipment run down so far:

Sequence Dart return pump

ASM G1 Skimmer

2 SCWD

400 Watt 14K halide

2-65 Watt PC Atinics

Phosban reactor

Sump w/ Refugium

DIY Calcium Reactor

Looking for some input and maybe some suggestions on this list so far please help me out

Pictures will come as I start this project

You are going to have all your flow going thru your sump? the dart is 3600 GPH@0 head. Your refugium will be a whirlpool.

IMO 400 watts is way overkill for a 24" high tank. If you don't already have the light that is.

AquaticIllusions

The dart will be kinda complicated I'm using it for a return from the sump/refugium and also to run both SCWD's unless it seems like to much work then I will use a mag 9.5 or velocity T4 and the 400 I have but may down it to a 250

proraptor2

All you need is a 250 watt halide....I run a single phoenix 14K over my 24 X 24 X 24 and keep tons of SPS just fine

The dart will be kinda complicated I'm using it for a return from the sump/refugium and also to run both SCWD's unless it seems like to much work then I will use a mag 9.5 or velocity T4 and the 400 I have but may down it to a 250

No matter how complicated it is all that water will be running thru your sump. I see two problems one is your fuge wont have time to do it's thing and the other is you will most likely get micro-bubbles.

I was originally going to run a closed loop on my 24 x 24 x 20 tank but went with a powerhead inside the tank and only about 350 gph is planned to go thru my sump. much less electricity and less heat should be added to the tank.

AquaticIllusions

I don't want anything visable in the tank besides the returns unless I can hide them also so powerheads are out I might just use 2 pumps smaller for the sump/refugium and then just do a closed loop. will be keeping a lot of SPS so need a lot of flow.

Another question of mine is should I do T5 atinics or PC's

I don't want anything visable in the tank besides the returns unless I can hide them also so powerheads are out I might just use 2 pumps smaller for the sump/refugium and then just do a closed loop. will be keeping a lot of SPS so need a lot of flow.

Another question of mine is should I do T5 atinics or PC's

My philosophy is low flow through the sump @ about 200 - 300 gph to closely match your planned skimmer.

You could run your dart on the sqwds on a closed loop and should get good random flow in that size tank.

AquaticIllusions

So here's my new plans

Tank: 24X24X24

Sump/Refugium: ????

Skimmer: ASM G1

Return Pump: Velocity T4

Closed Loop: Sequence Dart with 2 SCWD's or possibly a OM 4-way

Ozone: Red Sea 100 MG/H

Lighting: 1-250 14K W/ 2-65W Atinics

Phosban Reactor

Carbon Reactor

Calcium Reactor: DIY

tank will be ordered next week and I will start on the stand ASAP

I still think your return pump is way to big. your sump will be small with that type of footprint for the tank. the t4 is 1200 gph @3foot you will have maybe 20 gallons of water in your sump.

IMO you should be looking at ehiem 1250 or similar for your return pump. the eheim is also 28 watts vs the 140 watts of the t4

AquaticIllusions

Now the wife says she thinks this tank is gonna be to small and thinks we should o bgger I can't win I just took down my 125 cause she said it was to big now this. I told her lets just get a 300 and call it done.

Archived