Cultivated Reef

Bio Cube 8 Gal Setup

BLUESPRUCE

BLUESPRUCE

Hello,

I am new here so please forgive me. I could use your expertise with my problem.

I just setup two 8 gal. Bio Cubes and am having a problem with the water level on both. My tank level is at the top (nearly overflowing in chambers). I have no min/max level in reservoir. Every time I take out water from tank and fill min/max reservoir, it just fills back into the tank.

I realize the tank level is too high. But if there is not enough water in the pump chamber I get sputtering.

This is a stock tank with no mods. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong since it is happening in both tanks.

Please help - thank you!

you mite want to do your mods before you do anything... it will save you a lot of time and headaches! you will always have water level problems... I have the same cube and always that problem. What I did was I filled up the tank enough for the pump to be turned on and continue pouring water until you are at a good level in both the tank and chamber.

flyingjeff

Nothing is wrong there. Because the display tank operates with an overflow through your filter setup, the level in the display area will be constant. It overflows in the rear into the middle (second) chamber. Just add more water to the system, and the second and third chamber levels will come up.

If the display looks like it is going to overflow the rear wall, you may want to look at widening the opening into the second chamber to allow more flow.

Good luck!

Make sure the filter pad is in the correct location. You can also modify the wall between chambers #1 and #2, wider the slot where the water falls over the top into chamber #2. (wider not deeper)

BLUESPRUCE

My problem is that my tank water level is at the top( sometimes overflowing into the chambers) and there is below min reading in pump area.

flyingjeff

You must have something blocking the flow to the rear chambers. Try removing the filter pad (if you are using it) and see if your display level drops.

Are you running the sponge at the inlet to your pump?

With the stock pump, it should not be overflowing the display.

BLUESPRUCE
Make sure the filter pad is in the correct location. You can also modify the wall between chambers #1 and #2, wider the slot where the water falls over the top into chamber #2. (wider not deeper)

How do I do this with my fish already in?

flyingjeff

Pull the pad out and see if your flow improves. The stock pad will get dirty and block flow. Run the tank with it removed for a few minutes toi see if your problem persists

BLUESPRUCE
You must have something blocking the flow to the rear chambers. Try removing the filter pad (if you are using it) and see if your display level drops.

Are you running the sponge at the inlet to your pump?

With the stock pump, it should not be overflowing the display.

Thanks!

Yes I have the sponge by the pump. Sometimes the overflow takes the food with it! I'm concerned I'm not getting proper filtration with such a high water level in tank (overflow).

I'll try adjusting the filter - thanks.

Pull the pad out and see if your flow improves. The stock pad will get dirty and block flow. Run the tank with it removed for a few minutes toi see if your problem persists

Thanks

Also, how do I get a reading in the reservoir to be at least minimum?

flyingjeff

try turning off your pump unil the food is consumed. This will eliminate food clogging up your filter unneccesarily.

Just add more water to the tank once you are happy that the display will not overflow

BLUESPRUCE
try turning off your pump unil the food is consumed. This will eliminate food clogging up your filter unneccesarily.

Just add more water to the tank once you are happy that the display will not overflow

Thanks for your help!!

I did mine after it was filled very carefully with a pair of aviation snips. Easy and Quick. Shut off the pump and go for it.

BLUESPRUCE
I did mine after it was filled very carefully with a pair of aviation snips. Easy and Quick. Shut off the pump and go for it.

Thanks - I have those great idea!

Thanks - I have those great idea!

By the way-

What is a safe amount of time for the pump to be off when doing work/cleaning without harming fish?

By the way-

What is a safe amount of time for the pump to be off when doing work/cleaning without harming fish?

Some people leave them off for a half an hour for feeding. I do 15 mins on my during feeding and for cleanup I have never really timed it but I would bet they have been off for at least 20 minutes. Not really harming anything with the pumps off. Could probably go an hour for cleaning, but that would be a long cleaning and I hope your tank never needs that much.

BLUESPRUCE
Some people leave them off for a half an hour for feeding. I do 15 mins on my during feeding and for cleanup I have never really timed it but I would bet they have been off for at least 20 minutes. Not really harming anything with the pumps off. Could probably go an hour for cleaning, but that would be a long cleaning and I hope your tank never needs that much.

Is turning off the pump a common practice for feeding? I didn't know this. (beginner)

Appreciate all your help!

People that are target feeding corals will turn off pump to give the coral time to ingest the food and not have it blow all over the place. Also you don't want all of the food being gobbled up by your filter system so on the bio cubes if you leave the pumps food goes through the grates and into the first chamber.

If you just have fish and are not target feeding coral leaving the pumps off for a few minutes give the fish time to grab some of it. The when you turn on the pump and the food starts moving around gives them a chance to chase it some.

roushinator

Yeah on my BC 29 does the same think. It was freaking me out at first but i realise now how the tank is designed. I do notice however that when that filter pad gets dirty the level in the main tank rises. I think i will ditch that when my tank is finished cycling. I will try modding the wall when i find something good to cut it with. I think that will help a bunch with mine.

Looks like you are well on your way to having the water flow issue licked....

I wouldn't worry so much about the "filtration" as you mentioned - remember that your primary filtration in your system is your live rock. Good flow throughout your tank will keep your water filtration in check.

Opening the flow from chamber one to two is great idea and most people here that own BC's seem to do it. I cut mine out with a dremel before I ever put water in the tank - but that can be messy and using cutters may be the best way for you to go since you already have water in the system.

I've also replaced the bioballs in my second chamber with LR rubble - Most LFS will sell the rubble out of the bottom of their bins to you pretty cheap. You can also buy rock and chisel it into smaller pieces but it's more expensive to go that way. People go back and forth on Bioballs vs LR Rubble - it's just what I prefer. I also run a bag of Chemipure Elite in my second chamber as well.

You may want to check into the filter mod as well. Essentially it calls for gutting a stock BC filter and replacing the contents with filter floss. It's very effective and you can replace the filter floss weekly for just pennies compared to the cost of new filters.

Post some pics when you get a chance and :welcome: to N-R!

BLUESPRUCE
Looks like you are well on your way to having the water flow issue licked....

I wouldn't worry so much about the "filtration" as you mentioned - remember that your primary filtration in your system is your live rock. Good flow throughout your tank will keep your water filtration in check.

Opening the flow from chamber one to two is great idea and most people here that own BC's seem to do it. I cut mine out with a dremel before I ever put water in the tank - but that can be messy and using cutters may be the best way for you to go since you already have water in the system.

I've also replaced the bioballs in my second chamber with LR rubble - Most LFS will sell the rubble out of the bottom of their bins to you pretty cheap. You can also buy rock and chisel it into smaller pieces but it's more expensive to go that way. People go back and forth on Bioballs vs LR Rubble - it's just what I prefer. I also run a bag of Chemipure Elite in my second chamber as well.

You may want to check into the filter mod as well. Essentially it calls for gutting a stock BC filter and replacing the contents with filter floss. It's very effective and you can replace the filter floss weekly for just pennies compared to the cost of new filters.

Post some pics when you get a chance and :welcome: to N-R!

Wow - I guess I have a lot still to learn! You guys are a great help!!

Will be in touch.

roushinator

IS that sitting on the lower shelf or did you remove that shelf?

IS that sitting on the lower shelf or did you remove that shelf?

I still have my shelf - You can get plenty in there without taking it out.

Right now I'm contemplating stuffing however much LR Rubble into chamber 1 and scraping the plastic off the back of chamber 2 - lighting it (9" coralife) and turning it into a Fuge. I have a soap dish full of cheato growing in my display but I could grow more back there and get rid of the soap dish all together.

Archived