Coral Vue Hydros

My LR and Aquascape. Need some opinions

captianchunk

captianchunk

post-12770-1183348532_thumb.jpgpost-12770-1183348559_thumb.jpgI have a 24G Aquapod w/ Stock Lighting.

Im not sure if this much rock will due. What does everyone think of the aquascape. its about 20 lbs now.

captianchunk
I would have to vote for more rock as well.

Yeah the rock should be stable enough.

I did a bump test with my hand.

If I were to add like 10 more pounds (Smaller peices) would it couse my tank to cycle over again?

Beside my damsel all i have is 2 astrea snails 4 turbos and a fireshrimp.

Thanks for the feedback.

To be honest with you, it doesn't look quite right to me.

If you get more rock from a lfs, you should be able to just check the levels for a couple of days to verify that it's okay/cycled.

If it's shipped to you, you'll have to cure it in a separate bucket or container of some sort before adding it.

I'm doing that right now, myself.

This is a lot easier said than done, but if it were my tank, I'd move what you have to the left a little and then add another much smaller stack of rocks in front and to the right of the current stack. The hard part would be keeping the rocks far enough away from the glass so that you could still clean it.

When I go to aquascape a tank, I usually try to apply the same rules that you would apply to drawing a picture. The subject is never in the center (keep this in mind with corals especially) and I try to get some good positive and negative space.

Man that must be some really dense rock.

Audioadict

More rock could help. Or you could take the rock you have, beat it into many smaller rocks, and then build a structure from that. I have always found it extremely difficult to achieve a "decent" structure out of HUGE rocks.

This is what mine ended up looking like.

Thebridge2.jpg

Thebridgedorrside.jpg

BTW, i used regular aquarium epoxy to hold my rocks together. On my next tank i will try drilling the rock and inserting some kind of dowels or something to hold them together.

captianchunk

Thanks everyone for the replys.

The only problem im facing is the whole right rock is covered with polyps. and the bottom rock is almost a good foot wide. I might be able to leave the bigger rock on the bottom and work off of that.

Here are some little more clear pics. I need a better cam.

post-12770-1183399903_thumb.jpgpost-12770-1183399918_thumb.jpg

glennr1978

If I were you, I would break up those rocks. Then you would have more surface area on the rocks which is what makes LR beneficial in the first place. Wrap the rocks in a towel (preferably an old one cause it's gonna be trashed when you're done) and beat the crap out of em with a hammer. Don't worry about the polyp's. If they aren't out of the water for to long and you don't beat them to mush they will probably rebound just fine. If they don't I have a frag I can send you, just pay the shipping.

BTW the puppies real cute and all, but I liked your other avatar better, kinda Jack Black-esque.

captianchunk

HAHA Jack Black it is. Your not the first one that said I looked like him.

Yeah I think Im going to break it up. Thanks a Million to everyone who put thier advice in.

Mike

captianchunk

Well I beat my rock.

I setup the scape, Ill post pics when the water clears and ask what you all think.

you could always order some dry pieces from somewhere like marcorocks.com and then you won't have to worry about any cycling. The new 'scape looks alot better. A couple of nice tonga pieces would still add a ton of character.

mikeandjenn99

Go with dry base rock. After a month or so it'll all look the same anyway. That way you can shape it to whatever you want it to be.

Archived