Xenia

ltzryder21

ltzryder21

I was wondering how you can remove xenia from the glass. I have mine on the top of my tank and it is wanting to spread to the glass. If I allow it to grow on to the glass, how do I remove it without damaging it/killing it?

I was wondering how you can remove xenia from the glass. I have mine on the top of my tank and it is wanting to spread to the glass. If I allow it to grow on to the glass, how do I remove it without damaging it/killing it?

Xenia is pretty hardy stuff... I'd scrape it off with a razor balde and rubber band the stalk to a piece of LR rubble and let it attach. I've comletely removed all the pulsing Xenia on one of my rocks 2 months ago (it died off from heat) and today I noticed I have a new stem of it growing where the old stuff was. There couldn't have been more then a glob of a foot left and now it has 8 or 9 pulsing heads.

I was able to scrape mine off a rock fairly easily. I wanted it off of one rock, and attached to a different rock. I just used the round corner of a plastic card (like a credit card). Gently tease under the foot and it will start to let go. Be careful to not damage the foot. It is the same sort of procedure that people use to get an anemone to let go of a rock.

Getting it to attach to a new rock was were I had problems. I left it in a soapdish with small rubble for 3 days and it never attached. Finally I used superglue. It must have not liked the SG because two days later it moved about 1/2 inch to the side (but attached to the right rock!).

I hope this helps

Mine got so out of hand I tore out all BUT the colonies on the glass. At least they're easy to control! But, like Pickle, I keep getting new starters on the places on the LR where I scraped it off.

--Diane

Archived