Coral Vue Hydros

My first SW, 40 gallons! PICS!

Ronin3310

This is my first attempt at SW, i am very excited and scared about making this jump into SW.

My setup consist of:

1) 40 gallon TRUVU

2) AquaC skimmer with Maxi Jet 900

3) Rio 1700 pump

4) 41 lbs of live rock

5) 50-60 lbs of both live and regular sand

6) Hydro koralia powerhead

7) 36 inch MH ligthing system

and a few minor things...

I will be posting pics tomorrow!!!

please come and tell me what you think!!!! :lol:

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just click on the link and you will be able to see my tank, sorry i am having trouble with attaching them to the post right now :P

I setup about 4 days ago, :D I really want to add more fish but i know it would be a dumb thing to do, even though my water parameters are good but i really don't want to take a chance with a heavy bio-load.

Here are some more pics:

Does anybody know what this is, i think it is some kind of poylp like a zoo???? :huh:

DSC00584.jpg

Another pic of my chromis:

DSC00579.jpg

DSC00578.jpg

Looks more like a shroom to me. Now, not to judge, just b/c I'm a novice, but I thought you were supposed to wait until the tank was stable b4 adding fish or critters. When I first was into marine tanks, we cycled with damsels, but that was before internet and before people started using live rock even. Fish only, really. But now, the rock does the cycling, right? And even after the first cycle, there is still alot of dye off and wierd stuff going on chemically I think. Let me know what you are thinking and what your reasoning is. I just want to understand so when I set up my next tank I know what I am doing!!!

Looks more like a shroom to me. Now, not to judge, just b/c I'm a novice, but I thought you were supposed to wait until the tank was stable b4 adding fish or critters. When I first was into marine tanks, we cycled with damsels, but that was before internet and before people started using live rock even. Fish only, really. But now, the rock does the cycling, right? And even after the first cycle, there is still alot of dye off and wierd stuff going on chemically I think. Let me know what you are thinking and what your reasoning is. I just want to understand so when I set up my next tank I know what I am doing!!!

1. Thats a Majano anemone. Some call it a pest, its up to you. best to isolate it from any corals, as it will sting it.

2. People do what ever they want. cycling with fish isnt really reccomended..but its done. You might get some grief for it, but its up to you. I personally dont reccomend it. why? because the fish that the LFS's usually sell to cycle tanks are kinda boring, but ussually hardy. when you cycle with them, they establish territory. Then when you go to add your new fish in a month or so.....they will get the crap kicked out of them.

I figured someone would say that, well in theory my rock is already cured and i have live sand from a previous aquarium that has been established for quiet some time. Another reason why is my LFS owner suggested it, i know what you are thinking she was just trying to make a sale, but she is an old friend for many years she wouldn't screw me over not with the prices she gives me :D it is nice having a friend in the fish buisness!!! But yeah i am only having a problem with one of my three chromis he is the smallest and is been picked on :( i dn't think he is going to make it. But the other to are doing great very active around the tank eating well, very well!!!!! :D i all ready have new coral line alage growing on my live rock so i have to be doing something right :D anyways that is why i have put them in there so early some people will not agree with it but different things work for different people, you have to keep that in mind when reading things in forums everyones tank is different.

Oh yeah i placed the pic of the poylp thing in the ID forum and some said it is an anemone, also it has moved down the rock and i don't think corals move i think it is a bubble tip!

oops! guess i was wrong will the anenome get any bigger?

doesnt matter if your rocks are cured, the point of cycling is to get an established tank and have beneficial bacteria.

Like i said up there diferent people do different thingd tanks are different. But i understand your argument, and i am hoping they survive i havent had any problems so far! :D

thanks for the comment i took me awhile to finally settle on this arrangement! i wasn't sure if it would hold if an earth quake hit, but just my luck one rolled through today when i was at work. First thing that came to mind was my tank. Called home and it was fine!! :bowdown:

I i know they are just damnsel but i like them i don't want them to fie but if they do it can't be helped at this point -_-

Well the chromis that was being picked on died last night :tears:

I was looking at my tank when the lights were off and i saw a flash of silver it was him being pushed around in the current, so i removed him from the tank... i read alot about these little guys and i was hoping that one wouldn't get singled out but he did i guess it can't be helped survival of the fittest i guess... On the other hand the other two look great!!!! eating really well, no signs of stress or sickness, right when the lights come on they are out and about waiting for me to fead them!!!

I think i may be getting some hair algae on some of the rocks, maybe in a coulpe of weeks. Any suggestions on what i should get and how many???????????

You may find with the Chromis you only end up with one. They tend to do that, pick at each other until all but one is left. Where did your rock come from, was it setup in another tank or fully cured from the freind at the fish store?

How is your temperature holding? Looks like you have a closed hood with those MH's.

You may find with the Chromis you only end up with one. They tend to do that, pick at each other until all but one is left. Where did your rock come from, was it setup in another tank or fully cured from the freind at the fish store?

How is your temperature holding? Looks like you have a closed hood with those MH's.

Yeah they other two seem to get along together, but i can tell you is the alpha. My rock came from many different tanks 4 to be exact, they were all established tanks with fish, almost ot bit by a freaking eel that was in one of the tanks! scared the crap out of me when i saw that S.O.B :eek:

Actually i don't have my MH setup yet it is being order so LFS gave me a PC to use in the mean time, she has done so much for me it is ridiculous! :bowdown: i really bow down to her!!! My temp ranges from 75 to about 80 but i will have to make some changes when i get my MH!!!

Yeah they other two seem to get along together, but i can tell you is the alpha. My rock came from many different tanks 4 to be exact, they were all established tanks with fish, almost ot bit by a freaking eel that was in one of the tanks! scared the crap out of me when i saw that S.O.B :eek:

Actually i don't have my MH setup yet it is being order so LFS gave me a PC to use in the mean time, she has done so much for me it is ridiculous! :bowdown: i really bow down to her!!! My temp ranges from 75 to about 80 but i will have to make some changes when i get my MH!!!

What halide system are you getting?

What halide system are you getting?

You know what i think it is a Sunpod or Coralife but i am not really sure but it should be coming soon i will keep it posted on this theard

beautiful tank and cool hitchhiker too.

Thanks, i just discovered more last night. I knew that i had a two black nudabrannks when i first set it up, but i was gazing at my tank last night with the moonlights on and i saw three white ones to and three more of those anemones. And a few brittle star that i will most likley get rid of when they get bigger. Those things will eat my fish when they sleep.

Are the bright red spots on my rock coraline algae or something else???? :huh: Sorry about the blurry pic i had to take it fast this morning before work.

DSC00587.jpg

Here are some new pics!!!!!!!

My new 36 inch 250 watt Sunpod!

DSC00592.jpg

A little look at the 12 monnlights, i will post pics of the tank with moonlights on later.

DSC00595.jpg

This is a pic of my tank with the MH on!!! the picture doesn't do this light justice. The colors are so vivid in person i will try to get a better camera to use!

DSC00602.jpg

This is just another pic of my little Chromis! Their colors look so much better under this lighting!

DSC00600.jpg

Archived