inTank Media Baskets

florida ricordea (question)

Pacifique

I couldn't find an adequate shot glass, so i placed it somewhere calm and I'll leave it and see what happens.

Diane, aren't rics photosynthetic?

circusordie16

they are photosynthetic but will usually eat food too. i say put it in a lower flow area and leave it completely alone for awhile and see what happens. its unbelievable how much better corals look and grow when you dont touch them for awhile.

they are photosynthetic but will usually eat food too. i say put it in a lower flow area and leave it completely alone for awhile and see what happens. its unbelievable how much better corals look and grow when you dont touch them for awhile.

Absolutely.

I couldn't find an adequate shot glass, so i placed it somewhere calm and I'll leave it and see what happens.

Diane, aren't rics photosynthetic?

Yes, but IME they like to eat as well. I probably feed them on average about twice a week.

That said, the advice to leave it alone is very good, too. Although that sounds like what you've been doing so far, more or less, right?

A potential problem of trying to feed would be attracting hermits and other critters that might irritate the ric...

There are some shots of my orange ric eating heartily in these old threads:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...c=75591&hl=

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...c=75672&hl=

--Diane

Diane, do you use a turkey baster and just place the food by its mouth? I'm assuming it has some sort of web (from what i can tell in the first picture) that it uses to reel in the food. Is this correct?

I have cyclopeeze in my freezer.

I use 1 ml or 3 ml disposable pipets...my tank's small! (5.5g)

They don't have a web of any sort, but those bumps on the oral disc actually are modified tentacles, and they can grab the food and get it to the mouth. The outer ring of longer tentacles are really quite dextrous. And the mouth will usually start to gape at the whiff of food. I've also seen my floridas catch and eat the occasional sinking morsel (Nutrifin prepared food) when I feed my gobies...

A few of my rics actually close up like the standard mushrooms do when they trap food. I have a colony of 7 or 8 pink floridas, and the large ones tend to close up, the smaller ones not.

BTW, even the rics that don't do the "onion" thing while eating will close up from time to time during the night. You could look for this interesting behavior in your healthier guy. I use a red flashlight to watch things at night.

Also--my seemingly very healthy rics can and do vary hugely in size...sometimes I turn on the hood and one of the greens has shrunk to barely nickel sized--but in a few hours it's fully expanded again, I'd say about 2 - 2.5" in diameter.

(If you're interested, you can see some of the pinks closed up in this thread, along with some shots of how much that orange one has grown (I hope this doesn't sound too self-promoting!):

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=110792&hl= )

--Diane

Edit--had a look at the pic you mentioned and I think what might have looked like a net was just a clump of the Cyclopeeze--sometimes it's own "juice" seems to form strands that sort of hold the food items together loosely for a while.

when i bought my ricordea the owner did a freshwater dip so he could split off the rock. he said it should take about 3 days for it to open up again.

when i look at it it seems to be fine. i was running a moonlight on it for the past 2 days. and hopefully it opens up 2day or 2morrow.

im going to see if i can get some shoot some zooplex on him.

Archived