Pod Your Reef

Bio Cube 29 Gal Setup

roushinator

roushinator

Hello,

I am new here but i have had a nano tank before. I am now trying to setup a new Bio Cube 29 gal. I am having a problem though.

When i filled the tank up with water the pump seemed to suck the water so fast that it kept emptying the resivior. SO to compensate i had to keep filling it up with water. Now the tank is almost to the very top but the pump is still emptying out the resivior. Is there a way to adjust the pump to slow down a bit or am i missing something? Thanks.

If everything is working as advertized... you should be able to keep filling the tank until the water level meets the top line on the side of the tank. Priovided you have yet to do any mods to the rear chambers.

roushinator
If everything is working as advertized... you should be able to keep filling the tank until the water level meets the top line on the side of the tank. Priovided you have yet to do any mods to the rear chambers.

Every think is stock. I took the filter cartirge out and the bio balls to see if that helps. It does. Someone sadi something about adjusting baffles to the sump. Is there a way to do that? I was thinking about taking out the bioballs becaus i am going to use live rocka nyway. Any ideas?

Every think is stock. I took the filter cartirge out and the bio balls to see if that helps. It does. Someone sadi something about adjusting baffles to the sump. Is there a way to do that? I was thinking about taking out the bioballs becaus i am going to use live rocka nyway. Any ideas?

I took all or my bio balls out and the sponges as well. Are you running a sump? There may be other issues then. I'm not running a sump.

I also did the chamber mod from one to two and opened up the flow. Now the lines on the side of my tank are useless anyhow because it fills up much higher then the high water mark. I didn't like the lack of water movement that it caused in chamber three so now run my skimmer from it. The increase in water height gives me enough to run the second skimmer pump.

roushinator
I took all or my bio balls out and the sponges as well. Are you running a sump? There may be other issues then. I'm not running a sump.

I also did the chamber mod from one to two and opened up the flow. Now the lines on the side of my tank are useless anyhow because it fills up much higher then the high water mark. I didn't like the lack of water movement that it caused in chamber three so now run my skimmer from it. The increase in water height gives me enough to run the second skimmer pump.

I am using the pump that came with the tank. When i take out the balls filter and sponge it seems to work okay. It is loud though. TOO loud. But the water level in the tank is still almost to the top and the sump are is almost out? :huh:

I am using the pump that came with the tank. When i take out the balls filter and sponge it seems to work okay. It is loud though. TOO loud. But the water level in the tank is still almost to the top and the sump are is almost out? :huh:

Add more water. The tank and the rear chambers will level out.

Once you add LR to the 2nd chamber the noise will settle. I keep some filter floss on top of the piece that fits over section 2 it helps cut the noise even more.

But the water level in the tank is still almost to the top and the sump are is almost out? :huh:

I just caught the ALMOST to the top thing. No wonder it's low. Don't go by the level in the tank. Fill it to the level on the side of the rear chamber. You just don't have enough water in the tank.

roushinator
Add more water. The tank and the rear chambers will level out.

Once you add LR to the 2nd chamber the noise will settle. I keep some filter floss on top of the piece that fits over section 2 it helps cut the noise even more.

If i add any more water it looks like it will spill over the top ledge. How come it work work like it comes form the factory?

roushinator
It is working.. you don't have enough water in the tank... keep going. It will be OK.

I added more it is on the maximum line on the side. And is within 1/16 of spillin over the back wall. Add more?

I added more it is on the maximum line on the side. And is within 1/16 of spillin over the back wall. Add more?

If you are at the max.. and haven't made any mods then you are good.

Problem solved.

roushinator
If you are at the max.. and haven't made any mods then you are good.

Problem solved.

Is the water level in the tank itself suppose to be that high. The ones i see at the fish store are sometimes 1/2 below the rear wall lip and they seem to work fine. Just seems that is is going to be a real hassle eveythine that water level drops a little.

OR is the tank designed always to maintain a certain level. And the only thing that goes down is the resivior level?

Is the water level in the tank itself suppose to be that high. The ones i see at the fish store are sometimes 1/2 below the rear wall lip and they seem to work fine. Just seems that is is going to be a real hassle eveythine that water level drops a little.

OR is the tank designed always to maintain a certain level. And the only thing that goes down is the resivior level?

If you leave the tank stock... meaning you don't do any mods to the rear chambers then yes.. that top line marked MAXIMUM ... is your "fill to" water mark - When it get's or if it gets down to the MINIMUM then you will want to top off. Personally, I top off daily to help keep my salinity more stanble.

At your fish store. Did you look to see how high the line on the side was? Do you know if they are running the tank with the stock equiptment? Or how long it's been set up?

There are many variables as to why yours isn't exactly like theirs. Yours may never be exactly like theirs. You might just want to get to know yours and how it runs best.

EDIT:

Oh... and when mine was at the MAXIMUM line then the water inside my tank filled to about the lip of the lower level the lid sits on.

Nothing wrong with that.

YES

roushinator
If you leave the tank stock... meaning you don't do any mods to the rear chambers then yes.. that top line marked MAXIMUM ... is your "fill to" water mark - When it get's or if it gets down to the MINIMUM then you will want to top off. Personally, I top off daily to help keep my salinity more stanble.

At your fish store. Did you look to see how high the line on the side was? Do you know if they are running the tank with the stock equiptment? Or how long it's been set up?

There are many variables as to why yours isn't exactly like theirs. Yours may never be exactly like theirs. You might just want to get to know yours and how it runs best.

EDIT:

Oh... and when mine was at the MAXIMUM line then the water inside my tank filled to about the lip of the lower level the lid sits on.

Nothing wrong with that.

YES

Thanks for all your help. I was thinking about getting this in a couple of weeks.

Skimmer

Any comments about this?

I will get some pictures up when the tank looks better. Thanks again.

Here is my setup for my 25... I have a remora skimmer hang on the back, I have 2 aquaclear pumps as the returns into the tank, what i did so more water circulation and the heat of the pumps does not concentrate in the back was that I went and drilled two holes about 1cm where the pumps are so it also serves as overflows on the second chamber. The holes are about an 1 1/2in from the top.

With these tanks you first fill them to where you want the water level to be at without the pumps being on. Once the pumps go on then you work from there.

Here is my setup for my 25... I have a remora skimmer hang on the back, I have 2 aquaclear pumps as the returns into the tank, what i did so more water circulation and the heat of the pumps does not concentrate in the back was that I went and drilled two holes about 1cm where the pumps are so it also serves as overflows on the second chamber. The holes are about an 1 1/2in from the top.

With these tanks you first fill them to where you want the water level to be at without the pumps being on. Once the pumps go on then you work from there.

Oh forgot as filtration: live rock, 3 zip lock bags of chaeto, and two mangroves

Hope this helps.

Just to let you know, the instructions call to fill it to the bottom edge of the black trim that you can see from outside of the tank. Once its there, and the rear resivior has filled and stabilized, you then turn on the pump. The pump will pull down the back chamber and fill the tank up to the top edge of the rear divider. Without the bioballs slowing the flow, I don't think the water level gauge is accurate.

Before I modded my tank - for water changes I would turn off my pumps and watch the water level drop in the main tank and mark the spot where it settled - I did it with a marker up in the back. That way when I refilled my watter I knew exactly where to stop each time. Since it's glass you can wash it off if you need to.

As for the Saphire I've heard mixed reviews and I've never heard anyone with a bad review of the remora aqua c - so I went open top completely and hung the Remora on the back.

I upgraded my lighting to MH... and my next step is going to be to move my LR from 2 to chamber 1 and convert 2 into a fuge. Someone here has a great thread about how they where able to scrape the black off the glass at chamber two and light it with a small coralife light - I'd like to have something like that running opposite my photo period.

roushinator
Before I modded my tank - for water changes I would turn off my pumps and watch the water level drop in the main tank and mark the spot where it settled - I did it with a marker up in the back. That way when I refilled my watter I knew exactly where to stop each time. Since it's glass you can wash it off if you need to.

As for the Saphire I've heard mixed reviews and I've never heard anyone with a bad review of the remora aqua c - so I went open top completely and hung the Remora on the back.

I upgraded my lighting to MH... and my next step is going to be to move my LR from 2 to chamber 1 and convert 2 into a fuge. Someone here has a great thread about how they where able to scrape the black off the glass at chamber two and light it with a small coralife light - I'd like to have something like that running opposite my photo period.

One reason that i chose the Bio Cube 29 and did nto go with a custom system is that i like the fact that it is self contained. I dont not have a lot of space and do not have room to have hoses and things hanging off the back of a tank. My wife also likes the look of the tank. B) Anyway here is my tank with live sand and 11lbs of live rock. think eventually i am going to go up to 35lbs.

_DSC0185.jpg

_DSC0186.jpg

_DSC0190.jpg

_DSC0187.jpg

I am thinking about getting the Tunze 9002 and putting it in the center chamber in the back.

Looks like you are off to a great start... looks good.

Deffinately want to get some more rock in there and the sooner you do it the better off you'll be.

Once you put that rock in there you are going to want to increase the flow inside the tank. Another popular mod is to replace the stock pump with something that puts out more flow like an MJ 1200 and replace the directional nozzle with locline and splitter. It will give you more control.

In my tank I didn't add another pump to the back but did put a Hydor Koralia 2 in my tank on the opposite side. Down side is that they are large. Upside is that they have great flow and you'll have less dead spots.

If you want more water flowing to the last two chambers lift the filter cartridge a little. It helped me. If you fill the tank to much your fish can swim into the filter system. I found my clown fish in the back swimming on the 2nd chamber grate.

I notice you have your tank in an entertainment center. If so, you'll definately want the skimmer from sapphireaquatics. I have one in my BC29 and it works great! I liked the fact it is a drop-in unit that fits without any modifications or cutting. It also allows you to keep your lid on the tank closed.

HTH! ;)

roushinator
Looks like you are off to a great start... looks good.

Deffinately want to get some more rock in there and the sooner you do it the better off you'll be.

Once you put that rock in there you are going to want to increase the flow inside the tank. Another popular mod is to replace the stock pump with something that puts out more flow like an MJ 1200 and replace the directional nozzle with locline and splitter. It will give you more control.

In my tank I didn't add another pump to the back but did put a Hydor Koralia 2 in my tank on the opposite side. Down side is that they are large. Upside is that they have great flow and you'll have less dead spots.

Thanks. I am up to 17lbs LR now.

_DSC0194.jpg

I plan to have around 35-40 when done.

Good idea bout the Hydor. I might do that as well. Would it be a good idea to put it in the bottom right hand corner? I guess my thinking is to create a circular flow in conjunction with the stock flow.

If you want more water flowing to the last two chambers lift the filter cartridge a little. It helped me. If you fill the tank to much your fish can swim into the filter system. I found my clown fish in the back swimming on the 2nd chamber grate.

Yeah i took the filter out for now. I plan to open the flow between 1 and 2 slightly as well.

I notice you have your tank in an entertainment center. If so, you'll definately want the skimmer from sapphireaquatics. I have one in my BC29 and it works great! I liked the fact it is a drop-in unit that fits without any modifications or cutting. It also allows you to keep your lid on the tank closed.

HTH! ;)

Well acutally it is the built in book shelf in my office. I have the tv there with my nintendo wii in case i need a break. :D I am really looking into the sapphire because i need to have the hood closed (5 yr old) and cant have hoses everywhere (wife) :) .

Archived