ReefCleaners.org

bristle worm

zhubbell

linkia lady

Bristle worms sting! I saw someone who got stung by some and his hand swelled up so big it looked like a cartoon hand! Be careful!

circusordie16
just rip them out with ur hands when you see them at night O_o

yeah dont do that, then youll get stung. i say just leave them, they wont do anything harmful and even if you try to take them out, i doubt youll get them all.

if the population is out of control and you want to remove some of them, you can just put a plastic cup in the sand at an angle with the cup's lip at the same level as the sand. bait with krill or something large... idea is so that the horses wont steal it. the angle has to be such that the worms get in but cant get out (try 45 degrees?).

I dont know if it will bother seahorses but coral banded shrimp eat them. I love mine lot of personality too.

But again, why bother? Are they causing problems?

These things reproduce VERY rapidly. If you don't keep their population in check, they can & will over run your tank in no time. If there isn't enough natural food in your tank, their next choice will likely be snails or soft corals. A few can be beneficial, especially if a small fish or invert dies in an area that can't be accessed.

These things reproduce VERY rapidly. If you don't keep their population in check, they can & will over run your tank in no time. If there isn't enough natural food in your tank, their next choice will likely be snails or soft corals. A few can be beneficial, especially if a small fish or invert dies in an area that can't be accessed.

I beg to differ with you. Their population will be kept in check by the amount of detritus and left over food in your tank. They will not attack live animals, but will be the first to scavenge on goners.

--Diane

reefman225gal
I beg to differ with you. Their population will be kept in check by the amount of detritus and left over food in your tank. They will not attack live animals, but will be the first to scavenge on goners.

--Diane

^^^ I second that.

As long as they're not taking over the tank keep them, they are great scavengers just don't try to pet them. I found one when using a chisel to break off a couple of branches of my Tonga branch. I happened to break the rock right in the middle of its home. I saved him and threw him in my new AC300 fuge mod along with a pound established live rock rubble, a cup of uncured rubble and a sad looking clump of chaeto that I got for free at the LFS. Once my lights arrive my picotope will be ready!

there are carnivorous bristleworms capable of taking down the odd snail but these guys are rare and have to be big. population is controlled by detritus in your tank. as for soft corals, again there is only a few species of bristleworms who will do that and thankfully they are rare.

Archived